Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC Champions...so people get their facts straight

Print  
  Page 5 of 12   <<   2     3     4     5     6     7     8   >>
Posted By Message

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:

Posted by Thunderfighting

I think that Randy Couture is the greatest champion of all time. Winning the belt in two divsions is tough, and he proved that you can still be the best no matter how old you are. The same cannot be said about Matt Hughes. Matt Hughes in his "old age"(he is certainly not old, but old in MMA years.) has fallen very far. If i am correct he has lost 3 of his last 4 fights. Sure you can say that he ran into two very good fighters, but then again Couture came back at 40 somthing to gain the heavyweight title back against a very tough Tim Sylvia, and then defeated a monster in Gonzaga. And i am very honest when i say that i think that he would have beaten anyone in his way for at least a couple of more years, but the UFC wouldnt give him his fight that he wanted. And as for Matt Hughes, he will lose to matt serra.....as much as i hate saying that it will be the truth if they even fight. Randy Couture is a 5 time UFC champion and has only been beatin three times as champion (Josh Barnett, Vitor Belfort(who he avenged his loss to.) and Chuck Liddell.). And i also think that only two people as of right now can even begin to contend with that. Anderson Silva(after beating Dan Henderson proved to me that he could be the greatest ever.) or BJ Penn (Has already won to belts in two divisons and if he goes up to beat GSP then very well be the greatest of all time because nobody will beat him at LWT.)

yeah but if you look at Hughes in his prime there is no comparison imo. Hughes has accomplished more then Randy. age has nothing to do with it, and the fact that Randy was old when he won doesn't make him the greatest champion. when deciding this, you have to look at the champions in their prime, and a 9 time world champion is better then some one who doesn't have more then two consecutive title defenses.

Post #61   6/9/08 3:12:48PM   

Thunderfighting

MMA Regular

Thunderfighting Avatar

Career:184-111
Camp: Hancock County Top Team
Chips:
But i think you have to look at the age thing just a little. I mean great fighters will always be great fighters. I understand if you put them in their prime there is no comparison. But Hughes will never win another world title like randy did, i doubt that he will ever win against a good opponent. But randy very well could if he decides to fight again.

Post #62   6/9/08 5:53:07PM   

miphi1991

MMA Regular

Career:80-51
Chips:
Hughes prime vs. Randy's prime = different weight class, different competition, and i just think its uncomparable. y do we have to compare hughes and couture, imo they are both AMAZING for different reasons

Post #63   6/9/08 10:06:33PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Thunderfighting

But i think you have to look at the age thing just a little. I mean great fighters will always be great fighters. I understand if you put them in their prime there is no comparison. But Hughes will never win another world title like randy did, i doubt that he will ever win against a good opponent. But randy very well could if he decides to fight again.

i guess we just have two different interpretations for ranking the best champion...it is all subjective really and i respect your opinion.

Post #64   6/9/08 11:59:46PM   

Thunderfighting

MMA Regular

Thunderfighting Avatar

Career:184-111
Camp: Hancock County Top Team
Chips:
I respect that you have the facts to back up your case and that always makes a good discussion.

Post #65   6/20/08 11:51:05PM   

miphi1991

MMA Regular

Career:80-51
Chips:
aww we all respect each other how nice

Post #66   6/21/08 1:01:27AM   

Scott_Revels

Banned

Career:376-170
Chips:
John Alessio got a title shot? How did he do that? I'm thinking of the same Alessio that fought and loss to Diego Sanchez, and then lost to Condit and Larson in the WEC? Not fighter bashing, but how did he luck into a title shot?

Post #67   6/24/08 2:05:17AM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Scott_Revels

John Alessio got a title shot? How did he do that? I'm thinking of the same Alessio that fought and loss to Diego Sanchez, and then lost to Condit and Larson in the WEC? Not fighter bashing, but how did he luck into a title shot?

the very same. i don't really know how he got the shot, i mean he was only 7-3 against mediocre competition at the time but he did defeat Ben Earwood who was a strong contender at the time. i guess since the UFC WW division was at its infant stages it really didn't have any legitimate competition so it had to bring in talent based off the promise of a title shot.

Post #68   6/25/08 10:53:43PM   

Scott_Revels

Banned

Career:376-170
Chips:
Wow. Shows you how far they've come. It sounds like what you hear going on in the EliteXC/Strikeforce/Dream's of the world, now. I guess they all have to start somewhere.

Post #69   7/3/08 11:26:00PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Chips:
updated

Post #70   7/6/08 1:37:02PM   

BionicIng

Learning to Sprawl

BionicIng Avatar

Career:884-561
Chips:
agree with ts

Post #71   8/4/08 1:26:55AM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Chips:
updated

Post #72   8/11/08 5:31:47PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,512-891
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Overall hughes is clearly the best. Most defenses, most consecutive, most dominant, and he had a high level of competition (certainly the highest the could give him then). Trigg, BJ, Sherk, GSP, Gracie... all good fighters. Three of them are still top guys and one of the others was a pioneer champion.

Randy is the best HW. He won six times for the HW belt. Is tied for most consecutive defenses. Has the most defenses. He's a three time champ. No contest.

Chuck is the greatest LHW. For a couple of reasons. When Tito was champ chuck knocked off all the top contenders. Chuck beat tito twice when they were both in they're prime. Chuck faced the highest level of competition and was most dominant against that high level (all his defenses ending by knockout or tko).

Anderson has already become the best MW. He will keep winning for a long time to come, and even if he doesn't gain more defenses than hughes he will surpase him in dominance and level of competition.

Hughes is obviously the best ww.

BJ is the best LW because he has faced a high level of competition and avenged his loss to Pulver (who has more defenses). If you disagree you at least have to admit that BJ will become the greatest after one or two more fights.

Post #73   9/16/08 8:21:23PM   

RhythmAndStyle

MMA Sensei

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:2,348-1,408
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
i'll give cha props for takin time to do all this...

Post #74   9/22/08 12:17:01PM   

atlus

Learning to Sprawl

Career:210-126
Camp: Team Takedown
Chips:
i gotta comment on this

theres always gonna be someone that can beat you, i dont think that title defences make a difference, i mean, hughes, he was a great champ, without a doubt...but gracie...

royce gracie, in my book, is the greatest champ in the history of the ufc, without him coming dismantling his oponents, there would be no gsp, rampage, liddell, penn, or big nog representing the sport, its a hands down to who the greatest champ is, i think its all about what kind of impact they had on the sport, if ali wasnt champ, who would we have praised for boxing? if jordan never came around, who would have cared for basketball, if wayne wasnt around for hockey, who would care about it now? who would there be to look up to? to carry their respective sports?

Post #75   9/22/08 2:49:16PM   

Page 5 of 12   <<   2     3     4     5     6     7     8   >>