Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC Champions...so people get their facts straight

Print  
  Page 4 of 12     1     2     3     4     5     6     7   >>
Posted By Message

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:

Posted by IriShame

Provided there are no more contract disputes BJ Penn will end up the greatest champion in UFC history. In addition to his previous championships his current belt is held in MMA's deepest division. If he can defend it 4 or 5 times (which he will) I would argue he is the greatest champion ever. Look what he did to Joe Stevenson, a top 10 lightwieght. It was a boy against a man. His punches just made a different sound. He's got it on the feet, on the ground and now with his improved conditioning he's got the ability to go the distance. Anderson Silva gets the credit through sheer dominance but BJ will show what he can do in a much more talented division.

while you have a good point, i would say that the majority of the top 10 LWs are not in the UFC. just something to think about.

Post #46   4/6/08 12:16:06PM   

Kracker_Jap

BANNED

Kracker_Jap Avatar

Career:359-223
Chips:

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by IriShame

Provided there are no more contract disputes BJ Penn will end up the greatest champion in UFC history. In addition to his previous championships his current belt is held in MMA's deepest division. If he can defend it 4 or 5 times (which he will) I would argue he is the greatest champion ever. Look what he did to Joe Stevenson, a top 10 lightwieght. It was a boy against a man. His punches just made a different sound. He's got it on the feet, on the ground and now with his improved conditioning he's got the ability to go the distance. Anderson Silva gets the credit through sheer dominance but BJ will show what he can do in a much more talented division.

while you have a good point, i would say that the majority of the top 10 LWs are not in the UFC. just something to think about.

This is your opinion, and with the landscape of MMA currently there is not alot of evidence to back it up.......

Post #47   4/6/08 6:10:26PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Kracker_Jap

Posted by IriShame

This is your opinion, and with the landscape of MMA currently there is not alot of evidence to back it up.......

yes hence "i would say"...we already came to terms on this

Post #48   4/6/08 8:11:03PM   

frenchcakes_050

Learning to Sprawl

frenchcakes_050 Avatar

Career:40-30
Chips:
In about 5 years everyone is going to say Forrest is the greatest champion, after he beats down Rampage and holds his title for 5 years

Post #49   4/14/08 10:10:26AM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by frenchcakes_050

In about 5 years everyone is going to say Forrest is the greatest champion, after he beats down Rampage and holds his title for 5 years

i don't really understand why you used the "beating a dead horse" emoticon but whatever. this thread was designed to merely list all of the champions in UFC history so that people can get their facts straight. i just happened to throw my 2 cents in about what those statistics mean in terms of the greatest champion of all time.

Post #50   4/14/08 2:37:49PM   

frenchcakes_050

Learning to Sprawl

frenchcakes_050 Avatar

Career:40-30
Chips:
The beating a horse is symbolizing what Forrest is going to do to Rampage

Post #51   4/16/08 10:07:26AM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by frenchcakes_050

The beating a horse is symbolizing what Forrest is going to do to Rampage

oh ok...much clear now

i personally see Rampage winning...but this isn't the thread for that

Post #52   4/16/08 2:38:04PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Chips:
Updated

Post #53   4/20/08 2:45:56AM   

gspistheman

Learning to Sprawl

Career:10-18
Chips:
your a 100% right. But you can't count out GSP if he keeps up with the way he's been training and conditioning. He's going to have the welterweight belt for a long time.

Post #54   4/22/08 8:01:39PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,916-1,066
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Jiggawhen

Posted by Kracker_Jap

Posted by IriShame

shut the **** up dude, crackers and japs can suck my dark ass

yeah... youre going to get banned dude. Its pretty much not even up for debate anymore. Peace dude.

Post #55   5/13/08 2:10:50PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Chips:
Updated

Post #56   5/25/08 2:57:04AM   

Webbie

MMA Sensei

Webbie Avatar

Career:155-103
Chips:
First and foremost, great topic, jiujitsufreak. It's obvious you put some effort into this. I'm not sure if you're aware of it or not but there's actually a page on the UFC's official website that has the title history. I don't believe it has the explanations as to why certain fighters were stripped of their titles, though, but either way I think it's good to have this information here as well.

As far as who the greatest champion has been in the history of the UFC, the fact of the matter is there's no correct way to determine who the greatest champion has been. The facts are that Tito and Hughes both had five successful defenses. Hughes could probably be considered the better champion in this situation considering after winning the belt and defending it five times he won the title on a second occasion and had another two successful defenses during that reign whereas Tito was unable to regain his title. Plus Hughes would've had an additional two defenses had Riggs made weight and Royce decided to cut.

Now, while Anderson Silva doesn't have as many defenses or even wins in the UFC as neither Hughes nor Tito, it doesn't mean that he isn't as talented of a champion. If he defends his belt three more times he'll have more consecutive defenses than any other fighter in the history of the UFC, and three more defenses is definitely in the realm of possibility for Anderson. Would that make Anderson the greatest champ of all time? Maybe, but Hughes would still have more successful defenses and UFC wins all together.

I also believe that if BJ decides to remain at lightweight and defend his title in that division rather than moving back up to welterweight for a rematch with GSP that he could prove to be one of the greatest UFC champions. I do, however, think a rematch between those two would be even more epic than the first, especially if it were scheduled for five rounds.

As I said, there's truly no correct way to determine who has been the greatest UFC champion of all time. The fact of the matter is, speculation is nothing more than opinions and theories. Even if we base our opinions and theories on facts, they're still opinions and theories.

On an unrelated note, I had no idea Barnett and Sylvia tested positive for 'roids.

Last edited 5/26/08 10:59AM server time by Webbie
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #57   5/25/08 8:39:26PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Webbie

First and foremost, great topic, jiujitsufreak. It's obvious you put some effort into this. I'm not sure if you're aware of it or not but there's actually a page on the UFC's official website that has the title history. I don't believe it has the explanations as to why certain fighters were stripped of their titles, though, but either way I think it's good to have this information here as well.

As far as who the greatest champion has been in the history of the UFC, the fact of the matter is there's no correct way to determine who the greatest champion has been. The facts are that Tito and Hughes both had five successful defenses. Hughes could probably be considered the better champion in this situation considering after winning the belt and defending it five times he won the title on a second occasion and had another two successful defenses during that reign whereas Tito was unable to regain his title. Plus Hughes would've had an additional two defenses had Riggs made weight and Royce decided to cut.

Now, while Anderson Silva doesn't have as many defenses or even wins in the UFC as neither Hughes nor Tito, it doesn't mean that he isn't as talented of a champion. If he defends his belt three more times he'll have more consecutive defenses than any other fighter in the history of the UFC, and three more defenses is definitely in the realm of possibility for Anderson. Would that make Anderson the greatest champ of all time? Maybe, but Hughes would still have more successful defenses and UFC wins all together.

I also believe that if BJ decides to remain at lightweight and defend his title in that division rather than moving back up to welterweight for a rematch with GSP that he could prove to be one of the greatest UFC champions. I do, however, think a rematch between those two would be even more epic than the first, especially if it were scheduled for five rounds.

As I said, there's truly no correct way to determine who has been the greatest UFC champion of all time. The fact of the matter is, speculation is nothing more than opinions and theories. Even if we base our opinions and theories on facts, they're still opinions and theories.

On an unrelated note, I had no idea Barnett and Sylvia tested positive for 'roids.

well i am glad you like this topic. and i realize there is no definitive way to tell who is the greatest champion of all time...i just thought i would throw my 2 cents in with the facts to mix in a little subjectivity to the whole matter. and nice points

Post #58   5/26/08 11:45:16PM   

RMFG_187

Banned

RMFG_187 Avatar

Career:349-223
Chips:
i got a little excited when i saw this post.

F'in Awesome work bro.

IMO Best Champs of all time=

1. Matt Hughes
2. Chuck Liddell
3. Randy Couture
4. Tie - Tito Ortiz, Frank Shamrock, Anderson Silva.

Post #59   5/28/08 3:39:41AM   

Thunderfighting

MMA Regular

Thunderfighting Avatar

Career:184-111
Camp: Hancock County Top Team
Chips:
I think that Randy Couture is the greatest champion of all time. Winning the belt in two divsions is tough, and he proved that you can still be the best no matter how old you are. The same cannot be said about Matt Hughes. Matt Hughes in his "old age"(he is certainly not old, but old in MMA years.) has fallen very far. If i am correct he has lost 3 of his last 4 fights. Sure you can say that he ran into two very good fighters, but then again Couture came back at 40 somthing to gain the heavyweight title back against a very tough Tim Sylvia, and then defeated a monster in Gonzaga. And i am very honest when i say that i think that he would have beaten anyone in his way for at least a couple of more years, but the UFC wouldnt give him his fight that he wanted. And as for Matt Hughes, he will lose to matt serra.....as much as i hate saying that it will be the truth if they even fight. Randy Couture is a 5 time UFC champion and has only been beatin three times as champion (Josh Barnett, Vitor Belfort(who he avenged his loss to.) and Chuck Liddell.). And i also think that only two people as of right now can even begin to contend with that. Anderson Silva(after beating Dan Henderson proved to me that he could be the greatest ever.) or BJ Penn (Has already won to belts in two divisons and if he goes up to beat GSP then very well be the greatest of all time because nobody will beat him at LWT.)

Post #60   6/9/08 1:39:03PM   

Page 4 of 12     1     2     3     4     5     6     7   >>