Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC Champions...so people get their facts straight

Print  
  Page 3 of 12     1     2     3     4     5     6   >>
Posted By Message

D-Money34

Learning to Sprawl

D-Money34 Avatar

Career:44-43
Camp: The Prophet Pitbulls
Chips:
Good post... good post...

Post #31   3/21/08 3:35:32PM   

Rabi

Heavyweight Champ

Rabi Avatar

Career:1,980-1,165
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
I really enjoyed the read. But i wanted to point out some errors. I know you want to keep this updated so i thought you would appreciate the feedback.

1. Tim Sylvia won the title off Ricco Rodriguez and not Pedro Rizzo.

2. Pat Miletich lost the title at UFC 31 versus Carlos Newton. He ko'd Shonie Carter with a head kick at UFC 32. That fight was not a title defence.

I am also (like you ) an MMA freak. LOL.

Post #32   3/25/08 1:38:08PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:

Posted by Rabi

I really enjoyed the read. But i wanted to point out some errors. I know you want to keep this updated so i thought you would appreciate the feedback.

1. Tim Sylvia won the title off Ricco Rodriguez and not Pedro Rizzo.

2. Pat Miletich lost the title at UFC 31 versus Carlos Newton. He ko'd Shonie Carter with a head kick at UFC 32. That fight was not a title defence.

I am also (like you ) an MMA freak. LOL.

good catches. the first one was a typo as you saw that Ricco was before Sylvia on the list which would mean that Sylvia had to beat him since there were no circumstances i outlined. i guess it was the R's...typing that list gets you weary eyed as well. and with Miletich you are correct. i put Shonie Carter down when it was Kenichi Yamamoto who Miletich defeated last. thanks for the correctiuons and i appreciate the feedback.

Post #33   3/25/08 5:12:21PM   

Rabi

Heavyweight Champ

Rabi Avatar

Career:1,980-1,165
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
Your welcome mate. By the way. Great idea for a thread.

Post #34   3/25/08 5:54:01PM   

CornishMMA

BANNED

CornishMMA Avatar

Career:497-280
Chips:

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

well actually, i had GSP in the top 10 then. also, how can you discount any win? who was the one who injured BJ in the first place? in a fight an injury sustained in the fight shouldn't make the win any less credible. Hughes was the one who did the damage and thus was able to win. you can't discount that win. and a win over GSP is still a win over GSP. to disregard both of those fights is a mistake imo.

Hmm well ok dude thats fair enough but i still dont think that 1st GSP Hughes fight should give Hughes that much credit, he had lost the round likely and got pwned in the standup, yeah its still a win over GSP but the top quality GSP dominated him twice and i think shows the difference

But dude you are wrong on the other thing for sure, there was never any contention that Hughes broke BJ's rib cos it wasnt that kind of injury (plus Matt didnt touch him let alone land a hard body shot!), BJ injured BJ, you can see when it happened cos he twisted freakishly going for that triangle, so it was a case of Hughes losing the firs 2 rounds and then BJ sustaining a frreak injury that meant he only had 1 lung working properly

Its a good thread and great to get all the facts there, but i dont think the best champion is always the champion with the most defences, quality of opposition is more important and cos of that it wont be long until Silva overtakes Hughes in my mind, if he beats Okami then i think his reign is more impressive than Hughes reigns

Post #35   3/26/08 9:47:06AM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by CornishMMA

well actually, i had GSP in the top 10 then. also, how can you discount any win? who was the one who injured BJ in the first place? in a fight an injury sustained in the fight shouldn't make the win any less credible. Hughes was the one who did the damage and thus was able to win. you can't discount that win. and a win over GSP is still a win over GSP. to disregard both of those fights is a mistake imo.

Hmm well ok dude thats fair enough but i still dont think that 1st GSP Hughes fight should give Hughes that much credit, he had lost the round likely and got pwned in the standup, yeah its still a win over GSP but the top quality GSP dominated him twice and i think shows the difference

But dude you are wrong on the other thing for sure, there was never any contention that Hughes broke BJ's rib cos it wasnt that kind of injury (plus Matt didnt touch him let alone land a hard body shot!), BJ injured BJ, you can see when it happened cos he twisted freakishly going for that triangle, so it was a case of Hughes losing the firs 2 rounds and then BJ sustaining a frreak injury that meant he only had 1 lung working properly

Its a good thread and great to get all the facts there, but i dont think the best champion is always the champion with the most defences, quality of opposition is more important and cos of that it wont be long until Silva overtakes Hughes in my mind, if he beats Okami then i think his reign is more impressive than Hughes reigns

haha well yea the thread is mainly to illustrate cold solid facts but i thought i would throw little tid bits of my opinion in their as well

and even though BJ did hurt himself in the fight it was still because of the position Hughes put him in plus an injury sustained in a fight, unless void of any contact by the other fighter, does not excuse a loss. the part where i disagree is that a win is a win, so regardless of the previous minutes leading up to the finish are moot imo. i guess we will have to agree to disagree with that. to me it is the destination not the ride in terms of judging the worth of MMA fights. maybe it is because that is what JJ is all about, you get peppered up a bit and then when it seems that all hope is lost you pull out a sick submission which was the case for the Hughes GSP I fight. i can see not counting the BJ fight but that win over GSP was as legitimate as any other win imo.

Post #36   3/26/08 2:28:17PM   

CornishMMA

BANNED

CornishMMA Avatar

Career:497-280
Chips:

and even though BJ did hurt himself in the fight it was still because of the position Hughes put him in plus an injury sustained in a fight, unless void of any contact by the other fighter, does not excuse a loss.

Oh but dude im not saying that or saying they dont count for nothing, im just saying that its not of the same worth as GSP Hughes 2 or 3 where its domination. there should be credit for coming back from adversity but just in that fight i saw it as BJ doing it to himself and Hughes getting very lucky - i dont thinkhe did put him in that position tbh, id have to watch again but as i remember it BJ either took him down or pulled guard to go for the triangle, granted Hughes rolling or whatever caused BJ to sustain the injury but its still not an amazing way to win a fight

BJ's win over Hughes was "better" than Hughes win over BJ, FACT in my mind

Post #37   3/27/08 11:37:02AM   

Ultimate_fighter

Banned

Career:270-165
Chips:
did u get this from wikipedia?
U sneaky one, u...

Post #38   3/30/08 11:33:23PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,928-1,077
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
JJfreak, BJ Penn is the best evar... you should know this by now

Post #39   3/31/08 12:48:03PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Pookie

JJfreak, BJ Penn is the best evar... you should know this by now

i'm sorry i don't know why i keep straying from the path of BJ...i am ashamed

Posted by Ultimate_fighter

did u get this from wikipedia?
U sneaky one, u...

no i actually did this through Sherdog and using the UFC database. i don't really trust Wikipedia.

Post #40   3/31/08 3:10:44PM   

RMFG_187

Banned

RMFG_187 Avatar

Career:349-223
Chips:
#1 Hughes
#2 Couture
#3 Liddell
#4 A Silva
#5 Royce

Post #41   4/2/08 4:04:54AM   

RMFG_187

Banned

RMFG_187 Avatar

Career:349-223
Chips:
BTW Props for making the list, must have taken u a while

Post #42   4/2/08 4:05:54AM   

ultimateweapon

MMA Regular

ultimateweapon Avatar

Career:330-191
Chips:
Yo I really liked that it was very interesting I forgot that Barnett got the title stripped from him cause of steroids

Post #43   4/5/08 4:03:46PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by ultimateweapon

Yo I really liked that it was very interesting I forgot that Barnett got the title stripped from him cause of steroids

a lot of people tend to forget that when they argue about him so you're not alone. i remember back when people were talking about Couture facing Fedor they argued using Barnett completely forgetting that he was caught using steroids for that fight. he seems to be clean now though and i wish him the best. really wish he cam back to the UFC

Post #44   4/5/08 6:06:42PM   

IriShame

In Full Mount

IriShame Avatar

Career:558-331
Chips:
Provided there are no more contract disputes BJ Penn will end up the greatest champion in UFC history. In addition to his previous championships his current belt is held in MMA's deepest division. If he can defend it 4 or 5 times (which he will) I would argue he is the greatest champion ever. Look what he did to Joe Stevenson, a top 10 lightwieght. It was a boy against a man. His punches just made a different sound. He's got it on the feet, on the ground and now with his improved conditioning he's got the ability to go the distance. Anderson Silva gets the credit through sheer dominance but BJ will show what he can do in a much more talented division.

Post #45   4/6/08 10:40:03AM   

Page 3 of 12     1     2     3     4     5     6   >>