Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC Champions...so people get their facts straight

Print  
  Page 2 of 12     1     2     3     4     5   >>
Posted By Message

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
You're really gonna get some insults coming your way hating on the hughes thing. People can say what they want about Hughes- yeah, he's got a dick personality but he WAS the greatest UFC champion of all time.

Proof is in the pudding if you ask me.

Post #16   3/10/08 4:26:06AM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

You're really gonna get some insults coming your way hating on the hughes thing. People can say what they want about Hughes- yeah, he's got a dick personality but he WAS the greatest UFC champion of all time.

Proof is in the pudding if you ask me.

yea the objective facts from this list should prove that he was the greatest ever up to this point. just too much domination.

Post #17   3/10/08 2:34:11PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Chips:
btw i will be updating this after each UFC title defense so it stays current

Post #18   3/11/08 12:16:49AM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Chips:
i have seen some people using this information now and i think that it is a good way for members to have more facts on their sides when arguing their view points. i think this should get pinned if no one would object.

Post #19   3/11/08 5:00:36PM   

exonerated

Learning to Sprawl

Career:23-11
Chips:
I really am not a Hughes fan, but facts are facts and you are correct he definitely has been the most dominate. I do think Anderson Silva has a very very good chance to surpass him though.

Post #20   3/11/08 7:26:27PM   

MartinKillMcGill

MMA Regular

MartinKillMcGill Avatar

Career:285-170
Camp: The Pit
Chips:

Posted by exonerated

I really am not a Hughes fan, but facts are facts and you are correct he definitely has been the most dominate. I do think Anderson Silva has a very very good chance to surpass him though.

not a fan of hughes but the facts are there. def see silva surpassing him though

Post #21   3/15/08 10:26:19AM   

JBatch

In Full Mount

JBatch Avatar

Career:779-491
Camp: Triumph
Chips:
Matt Hughes up to this date has been the most dominating champion but Silva is moving into the same class. The facts are though that both men win and win decisively. Anderson with pinpoint striking and slick ground work. Hughes did it with `farmboy`strength and a great mix of wrestling and GnP.

I would still make a case for Gracie though. The guy came in when there was basically no rules and ran the show. He was terrifying and gave up about 50-100lbs in all his fights and fought 3 times a night. One fight I would have loved to have seen was UFC 1 final between Gracie and Gordeau if his hand had not been messed up, I really think Gordeau would have had the best chance early on of stopping him.

My two favourite moments of all time in MMA came from Hughes and Gracie.

Hughes vs. Trigg 2- I don`t even like HUghes but when he picked him up and slammed him I could not stop yelling at the TV, it was EPIC.

Gracie vs. Shamrock- When Shamrock taps but the ref does not see it and Gracie is screaming in his face and makes him admit it. I don`t know why I just loved that scene.

Last edited 3/18/08 12:23PM server time by JBatch
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #22   3/17/08 12:22:19AM   

CornishMMA

BANNED

CornishMMA Avatar

Career:497-280
Chips:
The amount of title defences isnt the only factor in deciding the best of all time, sure Hughes beat guys like Newton way back when but the talent level is better now so perhaps the few that Silva has beaten make him the best champion, i dont know personally, i just know that not so much stock should be put into how many times someone defends, and in Hughes biggest test of that era he very nearly lost to Sherk - a blown up LW

Post #23   3/18/08 9:04:39AM   

JBatch

In Full Mount

JBatch Avatar

Career:779-491
Camp: Triumph
Chips:

Posted by CornishMMA

The amount of title defences isnt the only factor in deciding the best of all time, sure Hughes beat guys like Newton way back when but the talent level is better now so perhaps the few that Silva has beaten make him the best champion, i dont know personally, i just know that not so much stock should be put into how many times someone defends, and in Hughes biggest test of that era he very nearly lost to Sherk - a blown up LW

Its not just the amount of defences, its the level of supremacy the fighter illustrates over a long duration of time. Hughes defended against the best the UFC matchmakers could throw at him for quite some time. Anderson is doing the same against basically the same level of competition which is the best the UFC can put him against. The spider is deadly and has crushed anything in his path, who can stop him?

Post #24   3/18/08 12:22:13PM   

CornishMMA

BANNED

CornishMMA Avatar

Chips:

Posted by JBatch

Its not just the amount of defences, its the level of supremacy the fighter illustrates over a long duration of time. Hughes defended against the best the UFC matchmakers could throw at him for quite some time.

EXCEPT that is all dependant on the quality of opposition at a time and actually has nothing to do with that champion, if he was A class beating B class fighters for twice as long as a champion beating fellow A class fighters i would go for the latter champion being greater, its like a diminished championship if there arent top quality contenders, and while Newton and Castillo and Sherk at WW were good, they arent on the level that Hendo is so i think with that recent win the Spider gets the award from me, but im a self confessed Hughes hater so im biased, but do at least base that off what i said, Gil Castillo wasnt the best contender ever imo

Post #25   3/18/08 3:47:21PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by CornishMMA

Posted by JBatch

Its not just the amount of defences, its the level of supremacy the fighter illustrates over a long duration of time. Hughes defended against the best the UFC matchmakers could throw at him for quite some time.

EXCEPT that is all dependant on the quality of opposition at a time and actually has nothing to do with that champion, if he was A class beating B class fighters for twice as long as a champion beating fellow A class fighters i would go for the latter champion being greater, its like a diminished championship if there arent top quality contenders, and while Newton and Castillo and Sherk at WW were good, they arent on the level that Hendo is so i think with that recent win the Spider gets the award from me, but im a self confessed Hughes hater so im biased, but do at least base that off what i said, Gil Castillo wasnt the best contender ever imo

i see what you are saying but i still think Hughes did in fact beat better competition. Henderson is, imo, Anderson's best title defense thus far. However, a win over GSP is just as big if not bigger. If oyu look at Anderson's title fights his best opponents on his resume are Rich Franklin and Henderson. aren't GSP and BJ Penn good names to have on your resume as well if not better? Sakurai is not joke, Sherk was good at WW as well and is a lot better then Marquardt or Lutter imo.

mind you that i am not a Hughes fan...in fact i dislike him. but imo he is clearly the "best" (even though it is subjective) champion in UFC history because he has faced the same if not better competition than Anderson Silva and did so for longer. so as of now, i would give the title of greatest ever to Hughes but imo Silva will pass him after a few more defenses.

Post #26   3/18/08 7:14:33PM   

MondayNiteMauser

Standup Guy

MondayNiteMauser Avatar

Career:888-565
Camp: M Town Hard Hitters
Chips:
Chuck Liddell brought MMA to mainstream in America and for that he is the best champion of all time. HANDS DOWN

Post #27   3/19/08 8:55:35AM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by MondayNiteMauser

Chuck Liddell brought MMA to mainstream in America and for that he is the best champion of all time. HANDS DOWN

ummm...no. it was Forrest and Bonnar who were the ones to bring MMA to mainstream. also, imo that is not criteria for judging a champion. Liddell was good, but he wasn't as dominant as Hughes or Tito were during their reigns. Chuck Liddell went mainstream after his fight with Ortiz and right after that he lost to Rampage. Chuck is one of the better champions but Hughes has a better resume, longer reign and bot quality and quantity over Chuck.

Post #28   3/19/08 2:27:41PM   

CornishMMA

BANNED

CornishMMA Avatar

Chips:

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

i see what you are saying but i still think Hughes did in fact beat better competition. Henderson is, imo, Anderson's best title defense thus far. However, a win over GSP is just as big if not bigger. If oyu look at Anderson's title fights his best opponents on his resume are Rich Franklin and Henderson. aren't GSP and BJ Penn good names to have on your resume as well if not better? Sakurai is not joke, Sherk was good at WW as well and is a lot better then Marquardt or Lutter imo.

Ahhh but dude it wasnt a win over the GSP we have now, he wasnt even ranked top 10 then i dont think. And we all know the win over BJ wasnt that much of a real win, he had lost the 1st 2 rounds nearly getting subbed, and then only beat BJ cos he had a rib sticking into his lung, the UFC doctor confirmed the injury so im not sure why its perceieved as debatable folklore, so sorry bro but i really dont see those 2 wins holding as much water as you think they do

Post #29   3/20/08 6:43:35AM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by CornishMMA

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Ahhh but dude it wasnt a win over the GSP we have now, he wasnt even ranked top 10 then i dont think. And we all know the win over BJ wasnt that much of a real win, he had lost the 1st 2 rounds nearly getting subbed, and then only beat BJ cos he had a rib sticking into his lung, the UFC doctor confirmed the injury so im not sure why its perceieved as debatable folklore, so sorry bro but i really dont see those 2 wins holding as much water as you think they do

well actually, i had GSP in the top 10 then. also, how can you discount any win? who was the one who injured BJ in the first place? in a fight an injury sustained in the fight shouldn't make the win any less credible. Hughes was the one who did the damage and thus was able to win. you can't discount that win. and a win over GSP is still a win over GSP. to disregard both of those fights is a mistake imo.

Post #30   3/20/08 11:46:35PM   

Page 2 of 12     1     2     3     4     5   >>