Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Cro Cop, Sakurai Get New DREAM Opponents; Gomi/Ludwig to Rematch (comments on BJ fight.)

Print  
Posted By Message

juanez13

P4P

juanez13 Avatar

Career:575-288
Chips:
Im sure most already know what Cro Cop's opponent will be, its the guy that Kissed herring. there are multiple threads on it so i wont bother to paste the story here, however, if you want follow the link and there will be more insight.

— Hayato “Mach” Sakurai has also locked down an opponent for the DREAM show. As SukiMMA translates from his blog: “I fight Hidetaka Monma from Keisyukai. One foreign fighter and one Japanese fighter canceled and finally I got an opponent!” Monma has a 14-7-3 record, with notable wins over…well, basically nobody. The Sakurai/Monma fight doesn’t seem to be a part of the lightweight Grand Prix that’s also going down at DREAM1, but it should be an ugly rout just like the Cro Cop/Nakao feature.

— SukiMMA also reports that Takanori Gomi wants another fight with Duane Ludwig after their bout at Sengoku was stopped prematurely due to face-explosion Suki:

After the fight, Gomi said, Ludwig was a very good fighter. This victory was brought by an accident and I will fight him again. Thank you for coming to see my fight held on a weekday. I have good company to work with and….

He was in tears and couldn’t continue. He got the applause of fans and said, I will train hard and continue fighting. Thank you for supporting me.

— Though Gomi seemed to be in top form at Sengoku, The Fireball Kid doesn’t think he’d be ready for a re-match with BJ Penn. Of course, that match is totally hypothetical at this point, considering the UFC cocked up negotiations with him, but Gomi said this at the post-fight press conference:

“I just came back to fight after a long layoff and I’d like to make myself more fit and more of a complete fighter before fighting B.J. Penn. For this fight [with Ludwig], I sparred and did weight training. I was concerned about the physical aspects of my body. I want to perfect [it] before a fight with B.J. Penn.”

In the same article, Gomi asks WVR if he can have New Year’s Eve off, while Josh Barnett says he’d prefer not to fight Kevin Randleman and takes the time to plug his April 12th pro-wrestling gig in Osaka.

LINK

Last edited 3/6/08 5:47PM server time by juanez13
Edit note/reason: n/a
3 total post edits

Post #1   3/6/08 5:46:19PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
Nice quite a few stars fighting on this card.

Post #2   3/6/08 5:53:25PM   

Mayhem13

MMA Sensei

Mayhem13 Avatar

Career:2,175-1,292
Camp: Team Sakara Eye Punch
Chips:
I dont know why...but I dont really like Barnett much.

and I think a Gomi Ludwig rematch would be cool..but probably another quick win for Gomi

Post #3   3/6/08 5:59:23PM   

wrona666

In Full Mount

wrona666 Avatar

Career:1,102-674
Chips:
I dont know why he keeps talking about fighting BJ you know Dana
White would never let that happen!!!!

Post #4   3/6/08 6:19:04PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by wrona666

It's because BJ has said he would like to fight Gomi and GSP again.

Post #5   3/6/08 6:24:27PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,910-1,061
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

Posted by wrona666

It's because BJ has said he would like to fight Gomi and GSP again.

And Bj is one to just jump ship and go to the organization with the best competition.

Gomi's striking looked sharp and improved, making his performance against diaz look lethargic.

Post #6   3/6/08 6:43:01PM   

whardin19

MMA Sensei

whardin19 Avatar

Career:1,004-606
Camp: B-Robs Terror
Chips:
Intresting. Seems to me like the Gomi to UFC thing isn't totally finished. He wants a rematch with BJ Penn so in all likelyhood. If he wants it to happen sometime down the road he's going to have to sign with UFC to do it. Because I'm not sure the UFC is gonna let Penn get away again.

Post #7   3/6/08 7:54:12PM