Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Coleman vs. Lesnar ???

Print  
Who wins
Brock Lesnar 79 75%
Mark Coleman 26 25%
  Page 3 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by LuketheDuke

Posted by Jackelope

Truly the only things Coleman doesn't have to his advantage are his age and the size difference.

Coleman has always been freakishly strong, so that mitigates some of the strength Lesnar has over him.

Wrestling Coleman > Lesnar
Submissions Coleman > Lesnar (remember, he almost caught Fedor in an armbar)
Submission defense Coleman > Lesnar
GnP Coleman > Lesnar
Experience Coleman > Lesnar

The more I think about it the better this fight will be. Coleman has lived a rough, rough life, though. I don't know if his body is still put together well enough to sustain MMA combat's pace. Even still, I'm not going to jump on the Brock "The Chest Cock" Lesnar's nuts like everyone else.

I just don't buy into the hype like everyone else does, and I haven't since the beginning.

Brilliant. I agree 100%. Coleman is superior in virtually every part of the game. The only thing I'm concerned about is that Lesnar is training at Minnesota MMA Academy (I think anyway, correct me if I'm wrong) which has produced cardio machines like Sherk.

Also I believe that Coleman has transitioned his wrestling into MMA better than Lesnar has. Give Lesnar some time and he will be a BEAST, but until then he won't be able to show his full potential w/o a little training and experience. I still think that Lesnar shouldn't of come to the UFC after just one fight. He needed some more time to make a name for himself and to see if he really wanted to do MMA. I mean, the guy tried out WWE, football, and now MMA. What's to say he'll just pick up and leave and go try at something else? Although he has been training MMA for what-two years now is it? So mabye he is here to stay. I just think he shouldv'e made a bigger name for himself before he came to the big times.

Agreed 100%. Props back to you, sir.

Minnesota Martial Arts Academy has produced cardio machines, but ultimately I don't think it's the right place for Lesnar. Give him some training from an elite kickboxer like Delagrotte or send him to Jackson's submission fighting to get a bit of training under Mike Winkeljohn and I'll believe he's a force. Everyone thinks just because he's a monstrous dude that he has power on his feet. I don't doubt that he could KO someone with his power, but his standup could use quite a bit of finesse, IMO. We'll see it when he goes up against someone with a great sprawl, and we'll probably see a bit of it in this Coleman matchup.

He's got the wrestling pedigree, and I'm sure at this point his cardio is up to the task. He needs the mental game, some great standup training, and obviously some submissions and submission defense. The last thing we need in the UFC is another great Lay N Prayer. I think he'd do well to take himself to another one of these camps and really step up his game.

Anyway, regardless of all of that I've had the same thoughts as you- What's to say he won't flake out on MMA?

Post #31   3/6/08 11:20:50PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
You have 888 posts and 88 props! Pretty sweet, but I had to ruin it due to your insightful post. I don't see anyone wanting to be the first one to lose the the "WWE wrestler" so I think Mark will definetly come to fight.

EDIT: Son of a bitch your #5.

Last edited 3/6/08 11:47PM server time by cmill21
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #32   3/6/08 11:47:02PM   

imanidiot777

In Full Mount

imanidiot777 Avatar

Career:383-265
Chips:
Please tell me you are joking when you say Coleman has better wrestling than Brock.

Post #33   3/6/08 11:58:10PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,873-1,070
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by imanidiot777

Please tell me you are joking when you say Coleman has better wrestling than Brock.

Not at all. Look it up if you don't believe it. Coleman is the more accomplished wrestler of the two. That is unless you count the WWE.

Seriously, IF Coleman was in his prime I would of laughed that they made this match and would've put alot of $ on Coleman.

But Coleman hasn't fought in a long time. How can any of us really have any idea what Coleman has left in the tank. He has been in some real wars in his career and has been KTFO more than once. I have no idea what kind of shape Coleman is in these days. I know that there are some major differences, but this kind of reminds me of when they brought back Royce or Ken.

I will not be suprised if Lesnar runs right through Coleman. The physical difference between the two might be to much for a way past his prime Coleman.

BUT, I also would not be suprised to see The Hammer pull the same kind of upset magic that he did in the 2000 PRIDE GP. If Coleman has enough left in his tank, I could see him shooting a single or a double and riding Lesnar around the cage for three rounds. I do know this, Coleman as a wrestler, or in his prime in mma would've ground Brock Lesnar in the mat.

Post #34   3/7/08 12:13:37AM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by imanidiot777

Mark Coleman was born in Fremont, Ohio, U.S. in 1964. He began freestyle wrestling as a teenager, and wrestled for Miami University, in Ohio, where he was a two time Mid-American Conference wrestling champion. In his senior year, he transferred to The Ohio State University and won an NCAA championship. Out of college, Coleman was awarded a spot on the US Wrestling team, and took 7th place in the 1992 Summer Olympics in Barcelona, Spain. Coleman continued to wrestle as an amateur, even defeating freestyle wrestling Olympic gold medalist Kurt Angle at a tournament in 1995.

Summary- Coleman fought in the Olympics

Lesnar wrestled at Webster High School in Webster, South Dakota where he managed to have a 33-0 record in his senior year. Lesnar later attended the University of Minnesota on a full wrestling scholarship for his junior and senior years of college; his roommate was fellow professional wrestler Shelton Benjamin who also served as Lesnar's assistant coach. Lesnar won the 2000 NCAA wrestling championship as a heavyweight after placing second in 1999. Prior to joining the Minnesota Golden Gophers, Lesnar also wrestled at Bismarck State College in Bismarck, North Dakota. Lesnar finished his amateur career as a two-time NJCAA All-American, two-time NCAA All-American, two-time Big Ten Champion, and the 2000 NCAA heavyweight champion with a record of 106-5 overall in four years of college.

Summary- Brock had a great collegiate career but no Olympics.

All in all they both won NCAA Div 1 championships but Mark wrestled in the Olympics while Lesnar did not.

Post #35   3/7/08 12:23:02AM   

LuketheDuke

Barred from Forum

LuketheDuke Avatar

Career:1,043-603
Camp: Jersey Ave Camp
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

Posted by imanidiot777

Mark Coleman was born in Fremont, Ohio, U.S. in 1964. He began freestyle wrestling as a teenager, and wrestled for Miami University, in Ohio, where he was a two time Mid-American Conference wrestling champion. In his senior year, he transferred to The Ohio State University and won an NCAA championship. Out of college, Coleman was awarded a spot on the US Wrestling team, and took 7th place in the 1992 Summer Olympics in Barcelona, Spain. Coleman continued to wrestle as an amateur, even defeating freestyle wrestling Olympic gold medalist Kurt Angle at a tournament in 1995.

Summary- Coleman fought in the Olympics

Lesnar wrestled at Webster High School in Webster, South Dakota where he managed to have a 33-0 record in his senior year. Lesnar later attended the University of Minnesota on a full wrestling scholarship for his junior and senior years of college; his roommate was fellow professional wrestler Shelton Benjamin who also served as Lesnar's assistant coach. Lesnar won the 2000 NCAA wrestling championship as a heavyweight after placing second in 1999. Prior to joining the Minnesota Golden Gophers, Lesnar also wrestled at Bismarck State College in Bismarck, North Dakota. Lesnar finished his amateur career as a two-time NJCAA All-American, two-time NCAA All-American, two-time Big Ten Champion, and the 2000 NCAA heavyweight champion with a record of 106-5 overall in four years of college.

Summary- Brock had a great collegiate career but no Olympics.

All in all they both won NCAA Div 1 championships but Mark wrestled in the Olympics while Lesnar did not.

Owned

Lol, I never knew that Shelton Benjamin was Lesnar's roomate. Mabye we'll see him come to the MMA game

edit: sorry jackelope, agree with you about Lesnar's camp situation, but gotta spread the love

Last edited 3/7/08 11:57AM server time by LuketheDuke

Post #36   3/7/08 11:54:05AM   

jocksmall

In Full Mount

Career:213-134
Chips:
i picked coleman. hes got the experience and he can take the punishment. the guys he has lost too are top notch so poeple should give him a break. i know that mma math doesnt work but i dont think you guys would be giving him no chance against mir. i see the chance that lesner puts him on his back and beats him down but i think the opposite is just as likely. im rooting for the old man.

Post #37   3/7/08 8:21:31PM   

skatenate

MMA Regular

skatenate Avatar

Career:217-119
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
yeh i think this is gonna be a close fight, but i think in the end, itll end on the ground with lesnar on top.

Last edited 3/8/08 2:25AM server time by skatenate

Post #38   3/8/08 2:24:37AM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by seanfu

Dude Coleman is being brought in to market Lesnar, nothing more. He's old as hell. The whole reason he was put into the hall of fame at that time specificaly to further market their fight.

Think Hughes Gracie and that is how this fight goes only with further domination.

Saying Coleman is a big UFC hall of famer is only going to better market the fight.

Lesnar by murderization.

Sorry Coleman, but hey if you win then you get to shock the world and go out on top.

Old as hell? Why don't you tell Couture that he is "old as hell" and then you can watch as Couture laughs at you for the next 15 minutes.

Post #39   3/9/08 2:23:36PM   

Pinkalicous

MMA Regular

Pinkalicous Avatar

Career:234-166
Camp: Team Takedown
Chips:
i see this being a good fight but when all is said and done i see lesnor the victor.

Post #40   3/9/08 4:40:50PM   

keith-hackney1

Belt Contender

keith-hackney1 Avatar

Career:274-221
Chips:
Got all the hall marks of a lesner round 1 tko after seeing the battering he put on mir in his ufc debut. Although colemans older and arguably near the end of his career, he is a very powerful wrestler, and wrestling in the cage is not wwe style. The only problem for coleman is the strength and youth of lesner. But, giving the benefit of the doubt, im gonna call it in favour of coleman via submission, probebly a front guillotine or a rear naked from the mount.

Post #41   3/10/08 4:58:28PM   

mrliquid

Standup Guy

mrliquid Avatar

Career:741-566
Camp: The Pit
Chips:
I would give Coleman a good chance if this was 8 or 10 yrs ago but Lesnar is alot younger much bigger and probably trains alot harder I wish I could give him better odds but I think Lesnar will get a KO in the first probably by gnp.

Post #42   3/10/08 5:54:16PM   

aceprone

Standup Guy

aceprone Avatar

Career:1,037-635
Camp: Slackers
Chips:
I like this match up. I think it's a great test for Lesnar. One thing we have to still realize, he is a rookie, just an extremely famous and powerful one. He is a huge assest to any mma organization, and the UFC did the right thing on snatching him up.

Another thing I like about this matchup is that it is ten times for competitive then Kimbo vs Tank. Coleman has a lot more tools in his arsenal then a right hand. Coleman has a good shot at this one.

One difference then this fight then a Hughes vs Gracie and Shamrock vs Franklin, is that Hughes and Franklin are proven fighters, Lesnar is not. It's still his third fight. It's not like Coleman is fighting Fedor again.

Lesnar has all the potential in the world, but we haven't seen it yet and this fight will show a lot about Lesnar. At least Coleman has won a couple fights and hasn't been knocked out in 2 minutes of the first rd, ie Shamrock.

Props to the UFC for making this fight happen. It's Lesnar's third fight and he is no where near ready to fight Nog and Tim. I could see a problem is Lesnar was fighting Dan Severn.

This fight is going to be huge in the midwest, a good fight for the UFC to break into MN market.

Post #43   3/11/08 2:59:29AM   

keith-hackney1

Belt Contender

keith-hackney1 Avatar

Career:274-221
Chips:
Lesner is 1-1 mma competition, coleman has fought a who's who list. Lesner lost to a former heavyweight champion and beat a can in his first mma bout. How the hell does that make coleman a good stepping stone for lesners career in the ufc ???? Rubbish, coleman will win !!!!

Post #44   3/11/08 12:27:44PM   

D-Money34

Learning to Sprawl

D-Money34 Avatar

Career:44-43
Camp: The Prophet Pitbulls
Chips:
I feel bad for Coleman.....NOT!!! My brother cornered against him when Sims got his ass kicked by Chris, Coleman is an asshole and he is going to get the beating he deserves

Post #45   3/11/08 1:01:14PM   

Page 3 of 4     1     2     3     4