Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Anderson Silva by the numbers

Print  
Posted By Message

Bemin

Touch gloves, and good fight!

Bemin Avatar

Career:140-118
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
The description most fitting when talking about Anderson Silva – aside from “underappreciated dancer” – is simply, “dominant.” Silva has burst onto the UFC stage with a level of dominance rarely seen at this level of MMA. The folks who questioned whether he deserved a title shot in his second UFC bout are probably feeling a little foolish by now

The FightMetric system uses a stat called TPR (Total Performance Rating) to measure the quality of a fighter’s performance based on six statistical components (it’s like the NFL’s Passer Rating for QB’s). Scored on a scale between 0-100, the average score for a fight winner is 55. Since his loss to Ryo Chonan more than three years ago, Silva’s average TPR across nine fights is 88 with his opponents scoring an average TPR of 19. The sport has not seen dominance like this since Pride stopped feeding Wanderlei Silva a steady diet of undersized Japanese sacrificial lambs.

With his match this Saturday against Dan Henderson posing his greatest challenge to date, FightMetric has analyzed every fight in Anderson Silva’s career to glean insight into how his historical performance might shed light on the upcoming match-up.

Link

Post #1   3/1/08 1:22:07PM   

SpiderSilva

PFM

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,838-1,149
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Spider Silva

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #2   3/1/08 1:37:04PM   

wapttn

MMeh?

wapttn Avatar

Career:254-148
Chips:
i refuse to give him the title of dominant until he successfully dominates each style of fighter. You cant deny that he's definitively destroyed each opponent that he's faced since entering the octagon but each win has to be taken for what its worth. First.. the mw division is shallow, the talent is developing, but is far from the level that silva exists at. This isnt the case with any of the other divisions, other divisions offer a variety of styles, all displayed by elite fighters. The truth is that anderson silva is an elite fighter, but has yet to face an elite fighter. People are gonna say what about rich? Rich proved to be well ahead of the compeition that the mw division offered, but its looking like that has more to do with the division than with franklin's skill level. Now that an elite fighter has come in, we see the level of skill that exists in the other divisions.

Leben is not an elite fighter and had a horrible game plan (thinking that he could walk right through silva's punches)

Frankliln has a poor game plan the first time around and decided to try and strike/clinch with someone who's striking and clinch game was far beyond his

Lutter is a bum who couldnt make weight for the biggest fight of his life and couldnt capitalize on a mount position and then transitioned into one of the ugliest armbar attempts i've ever seen from a bjj black belt, it makes me question the respect he gets from his fans

Marquardt... i expected a lot more from him he was unable to control the fight the way he should've, but again, king of pancrase or not, this is the big leagues and the guy's biggest in in the last 5 years was his last fight against horn. He' good, just not good enough

Franklin the second time around... obviously had some improvements, but seemed unwilling to change his game plan enough and made the same mistakes.

Dan henderson offers a harder chin then all of these opponents, offers superior wrestling skills, and offers a resume that none of these past competitors can match.

I can confidently say that this is silva's first real test, an elite fighter defending his belt against another elite fighter... if silva dominates this fight like he did the rest, then i'll give him the title of dominance and question if anybody will ever beat him

Post #3   3/1/08 1:44:31PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,817-1,549
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by wapttn

i refuse to give him the title of dominant until he successfully dominates each style of fighter. You cant deny that he's definitively destroyed each opponent that he's faced since entering the octagon but each win has to be taken for what its worth. First.. the mw division is shallow, the talent is developing, but is far from the level that silva exists at. This isnt the case with any of the other divisions, other divisions offer a variety of styles, all displayed by elite fighters. The truth is that anderson silva is an elite fighter, but has yet to face an elite fighter. People are gonna say what about rich? Rich proved to be well ahead of the compeition that the mw division offered, but its looking like that has more to do with the division than with franklin's skill level. Now that an elite fighter has come in, we see the level of skill that exists in the other divisions.

Leben is not an elite fighter and had a horrible game plan (thinking that he could walk right through silva's punches)

Frankliln has a poor game plan the first time around and decided to try and strike/clinch with someone who's striking and clinch game was far beyond his

Lutter is a bum who couldnt make weight for the biggest fight of his life and couldnt capitalize on a mount position and then transitioned into one of the ugliest armbar attempts i've ever seen from a bjj black belt, it makes me question the respect he gets from his fans

Marquardt... i expected a lot more from him he was unable to control the fight the way he should've, but again, king of pancrase or not, this is the big leagues and the guy's biggest in in the last 5 years was his last fight against horn. He' good, just not good enough

Franklin the second time around... obviously had some improvements, but seemed unwilling to change his game plan enough and made the same mistakes.

Dan henderson offers a harder chin then all of these opponents, offers superior wrestling skills, and offers a resume that none of these past competitors can match.

I can confidently say that this is silva's first real test, an elite fighter defending his belt against another elite fighter... if silva dominates this fight like he did the rest, then i'll give him the title of dominance and question if anybody will ever beat him

Well said!

Post #4   3/1/08 2:51:10PM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Career:1,489-1,182
Camp: The Puddle
Chips:

Posted by wapttn

Where do you find the time to write such informative posts. Do you work for a paper or something. The first thing I do after reading the main article is to look to see if you posted so that I can read a well written post. That way the rest of the drivel doesn't bother me so bad.

Even when I disagree with you I am not stupid enough to actually say anything as I would sound pretty stupid.

Please keep up the posts. I am surprised you don't have the highest number of props.

Post #5   3/1/08 6:23:42PM   

wapttn

MMeh?

wapttn Avatar

Chips:
i'll be the first to admit it... silva is a monster.. tested and true. Henderson showed that hes less than indestructable, but just cause someone can hold you to the man for 3 minutes of the first round doesnt mean that they're gonna beat you. Silva's strikes on the ground opened up a lot more than i would've thought. I say feed okami to him so that he can avenge that loss, give henderson another shot after that and hope for the best haha

ps, thanks for the props guys.. i'm a university student and my thoughts are exclusive to mmaplayground haha.. maybe they should hire me for a column or something ^^

Post #6   3/2/08 1:30:04AM   

jakeiceman

Banned

jakeiceman Avatar

Career:185-141
Chips:
Damn Damn Damn!! He won fair and square I guess....but still DAMN! ha ha good article though.

Post #7   3/2/08 3:24:48AM   

moob

In Full Mount

moob Avatar

Career:1,310-870
Chips:

Posted by wapttn

i'll be the first to admit it... silva is a monster.. tested and true. Henderson showed that hes less than indestructable, but just cause someone can hold you to the man for 3 minutes of the first round doesnt mean that they're gonna beat you. Silva's strikes on the ground opened up a lot more than i would've thought. I say feed okami to him so that he can avenge that loss, give henderson another shot after that and hope for the best haha

ps, thanks for the props guys.. i'm a university student and my thoughts are exclusive to mmaplayground haha.. maybe they should hire me for a column or something ^^

Aside from all that - do you now think he is dominant?

Post #8   3/2/08 12:30:00PM   

DevonFoxy

MMA Sensei

DevonFoxy Avatar

Career:1,450-848
Chips:
Anderson is a true champ no doubt about it the way he beat Henderson shocked me and i was sadden and happy at the same time. I love Hendo and was very sad to see him loose but at the same time how can you not like Anderson Silva he has this soft little voice and has a smile that can make Chuck Norris crack a smirk.

With that being said....

Henderson will have a rematch I'm sure within the year and will wear the title. He made some mistakes obviously and say what you want I honestly believe the cage played a big part in the problem of his plan. Give Henderson another fight to get back used to the cage and I believe he will dethrone Silva. In the first round you see when they are not near the cage he took Anderson down with relative ease and controlled him which if he can control the fight and keep away from the cage can easily do for 5 rounds IMO so i agree he is not indestructible but you have to give him his due as as of right now his is the top guy in the division and perhaps the controversial pound for pound best fighter in the world.

Post #9   3/2/08 1:21:56PM   

wapttn

MMeh?

wapttn Avatar

Chips:
henderson's rematch will be a greater test than this fight was... but even so, anderson silva is definately dominant. Silva's striking will always be his biggest weapon, but the other aspects of his game have developed around it and compliment his game very well. This may have been his first sumbission that was not strike related, but it was definately his strikes that set it up... i dont think i've see such effective striking when having someone's back. Right now I would even put him up against someone like rampage at a chatch weight and bet on silva. Gsp for me is still a question, but i wouldnt put it beyond silva.

Post #10   3/2/08 2:19:44PM   

moob

In Full Mount

moob Avatar

Career:1,310-870
Chips:

Posted by DevonFoxy

Anderson is a true champ no doubt about it the way he beat Henderson shocked me and i was sadden and happy at the same time. I love Hendo and was very sad to see him loose but at the same time how can you not like Anderson Silva he has this soft little voice and has a smile that can make Chuck Norris crack a smirk.

With that being said....

Henderson will have a rematch I'm sure within the year and will wear the title. He made some mistakes obviously and say what you want I honestly believe the cage played a big part in the problem of his plan. Give Henderson another fight to get back used to the cage and I believe he will dethrone Silva. In the first round you see when they are not near the cage he took Anderson down with relative ease and controlled him which if he can control the fight and keep away from the cage can easily do for 5 rounds IMO so i agree he is not indestructible but you have to give him his due as as of right now his is the top guy in the division and perhaps the controversial pound for pound best fighter in the world.

Henderson didn't do enough for me when he was on the ground. Silva never looked in trouble for one second and Dan didn't really land any effective strikes. In fact, I don't think he landed a decent shot the entire fight.

Silva is a very intelligent fighter, he spend a fair amount of the 1st round sizing up Henderson. After he'd done that, he came out he 2nd round and really took the fight to Dan - Dan didn't know what hit him.

Anderson is too quick, accurate and skilled for anyone at MW. Henderson is naturally the heavier man, but still didn't overpower Silva for any significant time.

I don't agree with your assertion that the cage was a significant factor in the fight. They really weren't near the cage for any length of time for it to come into play, unless you mean the fighting area was larger giving Dan less chance to cut Anderson off.

Finally, I have to say I'm totally confused by your comment 'the controversial pound for pound best fighter in the world'. What is controversial about Anderson Silva?

Post #11   3/2/08 4:12:21PM   

DevonFoxy

MMA Sensei

DevonFoxy Avatar

Career:1,450-848
Chips:

Posted by moob

Posted by DevonFoxy

With that being said....

Henderson didn't do enough for me when he was on the ground. Silva never looked in trouble for one second and Dan didn't really land any effective strikes. In fact, I don't think he landed a decent shot the entire fight.

Silva is a very intelligent fighter, he spend a fair amount of the 1st round sizing up Henderson. After he'd done that, he came out he 2nd round and really took the fight to Dan - Dan didn't know what hit him.

Anderson is too quick, accurate and skilled for anyone at MW. Henderson is naturally the heavier man, but still didn't overpower Silva for any significant time.

I don't agree with your assertion that the cage was a significant factor in the fight. They really weren't near the cage for any length of time for it to come into play, unless you mean the fighting area was larger giving Dan less chance to cut Anderson off.

Finally, I have to say I'm totally confused by your comment 'the controversial pound for pound best fighter in the world'. What is controversial about Anderson Silva?

I'm not going to argue he is near the top but Fedor is still Fedor. He has dominated the HW ranks for a long time and im sorry to say it is controversial to say Anderson is the P4P fighter when Fedor has held that title for years and has not lost a fight.Thats just my opinion of course so thats why i feel it is "controversial" to call him that because many people still feel Fedor is so I'm sorry I should have made my self clearer.

The second round was determined at the cage which is what kept Anderson up from being taken down in the second round at about 1:50 in and its what caused him to loosen up his clinch on Anderson at the failed attempt causing the space for Silva to escape, gain space, and in essence land the knee then kick (in which Anderson's knee hit Hendo in the face). So of course this is just opinion but thats mine and why this sport is great . Sorry if i was unclear.

Last edited 3/2/08 5:52PM server time by DevonFoxy
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #12   3/2/08 4:39:39PM   

RocBoulder

Learning to Sprawl

RocBoulder Avatar

Career:512-264
Chips:

Posted by DevonFoxy
I'm not going to argue he is near the top but Fedor is still Fedor. He has dominated the HW ranks for a long time and im sorry to say it is controversial to say Anderson is the P4P fighter when Fedor has held that title for years and has not lost a fight.Thats just my opinion of course so thats why i feel it is "controversial" to call him that because many people still feel Fedor is so I'm sorry I should have made my self clear

I will agree with this to a certain extent. Although the p4p rankings aren't the greatest method in the first place but that's a different discussion.

Silva may well be the p4p best at this point. Fedor clearly hasn't fought as high of caliber fighters as Silva in the past year. Now not to say Fedor isn't incredible, because he is, he could arguably be the best fighter of all time. Buuut recently hasn't been doing what Silva has been doing, and as everyone knows you're only as good as your last fight. Silvas hype is very well deserved though.

Post #13   3/3/08 4:46:36AM