Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

AskMen's Top 10: UFC Fighters

Print  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,643-1,469
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is one of the fastest-growing sports entertainment businesses in the world. If you don’t know what the UFC is, then it’s time for you to move out from under that wrestling ring and take up residence under the octagon. The UFC started as an open-class competition free-for-all with no rules, in which competitors beat one another to a pulp, and the sport has evolved into the mega fighting industry it is today.

Here are 10 UFC fighters who have helped the sport grow into what is today. Some fighters have helped more than others, but all have made some contribution to the business. These 10 UFC fighters are the best fighters to enter the Ultimate Fighting Championship ring.

Link

Post #1   2/29/08 8:21:08PM   

juanez13

P4P

juanez13 Avatar

Career:575-288
Chips:
i've would have had tito ortiz higher in the List, there is no denying that this guy carried MMA through the dark ages, and he has made a great contribution to this sport, he was one of the first to speak out about what fighter get paid. he might talk trash and whatnot, but the guy marketed himself the best way he could so that he would get paid decently, and i think everyone will agree that he is an icon to this sport for what he did on the early days.

Post #2   2/29/08 8:33:15PM   

DevonFoxy

MMA Sensei

DevonFoxy Avatar

Career:1,450-848
Chips:

Posted by juanez13

i've would have had tito ortiz higher in the List, there is no denying that this guy carried MMA through the dark ages, and he has made a great contribution to this sport, he was one of the first to speak out about what fighter get paid. he might talk trash and whatnot, but the guy marketed himself the best way he could so that he would get paid decently, and i think everyone will agree that he is an icon to this sport for what he did on the early days.

If i could prop you i would sir but i must spread the love. Great comment and great post.

Post #3   2/29/08 8:36:18PM   

BigTomZ

MMA Regular

BigTomZ Avatar

Career:280-166
Camp: The Pit
Chips:
I would have put both Chuck and Tito higher. They have both spent time being the face of the sport. Even with both being on the decline, they still have lots of loyal fans who make sure to catch their fights. I think that says alot.

Post #4   2/29/08 9:08:29PM   

ohiostate1016

MMA Sensei

ohiostate1016 Avatar

Career:826-528
Camp: Sporting News Assassins
Chips:
I saw Chuck at no. 6, and thought, "how could there be 5 guys ahead of him?"

5-BJ --this sort of makes sense with BJ's recent successes, but I would still think that more people would pick Chuck over BJ. It wasn't too long ago that Liddell was the face of the entire sport.

4-Hughes --you either like him or you don't. I don't. I really don't see how anybody could, but there are a lot of things like that (like how could anybody like the president?)

3-Shamrock --true, he is one of the biggest names in the sport and he basically carried some of the earlier cards (because Americans wanted so badly to find a home country fighter that could beat Royce).

2-Royce --most fans don't really know what Royce did. Royce is a name that is thrown around in MMA like a Gail Sayers is in the NFL or a Bill Russell in the NBA. People don't really know what they did, but there is some sort of aura around the name that automatically brings it to mind.

1-Randy --the only guy that I'd rand ahead of Chuck.

Post #5   2/29/08 11:47:00PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
I actually disagree with "Handy" being first. (Sorry.. gotta send a shout out to Big Nog with that one haha)

I think Tito and Chuck should be #1 and #2. Unfortunately, Forrest Griffin deserves a spot on that list as well. Only because of the popularity of the finale of TUF 1. A lot of the rest I do agree with, though.

Last edited 3/1/08 3:27AM server time by Jackelope
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   3/1/08 12:40:32AM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,738-1,026
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I would have Chuck at 4 and Tito at 5 personally.

Good list, interesting too.

Last edited 3/1/08 1:42AM server time by MMAcca
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   3/1/08 1:42:08AM   

jakeiceman

Banned

jakeiceman Avatar

Career:185-141
Chips:
Yeah pardon the language but this list is a steaming pile of shit. There is no doubt that Liddell should be number one (I dont say this just because I am a huge fan) Liddell did more for the sport to bring it to the mainstream than anyone else. He wasnt just the face of the UFC, he was the face MMA. Whether you love him or hate him, chances are you at one time looked up to him. I really cant believe he is so high on the list, Ortiz for that matter too. Thats how fans are these days though, your favorite stumbles and you throw them under the wagon.....

Post #8   3/1/08 1:42:30AM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

I actually disagree with "Handy" being first. (Sorry.. gotta send a shout out to Big Nog with that one haha)

I think Tito and Chuck should be #1 and #2. Unfortunately, Forrest Griffin deserves a spot on that list as well. Only because of the popularity of the finale of TUF 1. A lot of the rest I do agree with, though.

i agree with you. i don't feel that randy should have the top spot let alone the 3rd or 4th spot. imo he hasn't done the same for the sport like tito, chuck or even forrest and bonnar have done like you mentioned. a lot of people tend to overrate randy's accomplishments solely based on his age. from an objective view point, i would say royce has done more than him as well. because of royce, people were forced to adapt a ground game and learn submissions which led to the evolution of the sport form individual styles into the complete MMA athletes. now i am not down playing randy's accomplishments of holding two titles in two divisions....but in terms of how they effected MMA i wouldn't rank him in my top 4 or 5. it is really obvious sometimes how most MMA fans give too much credit to randy and really overplay what he has done. now the other way to interpret this question was the 10 most skilled fighters to step into the octagon. if that is the case, randy still doesn't make my top 5. i am not a randy hater so please don't flame me but it is unfair to people who have done more for the sport and consistently defeated better competition to be ranked lower then him.

Post #9   3/1/08 6:00:59AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

i agree with you. i don't feel that randy should have the top spot let alone the 3rd or 4th spot. imo he hasn't done the same for the sport like tito, chuck or even forrest and bonnar have done like you mentioned. a lot of people tend to overrate randy's accomplishments solely based on his age. from an objective view point, i would say royce has done more than him as well. because of royce, people were forced to adapt a ground game and learn submissions which led to the evolution of the sport form individual styles into the complete MMA athletes. now i am not down playing randy's accomplishments of holding two titles in two divisions....but in terms of how they effected MMA i wouldn't rank him in my top 4 or 5. it is really obvious sometimes how most MMA fans give too much credit to randy and really overplay what he has done. now the other way to interpret this question was the 10 most skilled fighters to step into the octagon. if that is the case, randy still doesn't make my top 5. i am not a randy hater so please don't flame me but it is unfair to people who have done more for the sport and consistently defeated better competition to be ranked lower then him.

Exactly. I'm basing what I wrote on the beginning of the article, which states -

Here are 10 UFC fighters who have helped the sport grow into what is today. Some fighters have helped more than others, but all have made some contribution to the business. These 10 UFC fighters are the best fighters to enter the Ultimate Fighting Championship ring.

Your points about Royce are 100% correct. I'm not as much of a jiu jitsu lover as you are, and yet I clearly see this being the case.

As far as popularity of the sport goes Tito and Chuck Liddell were the first to really hit the mainstream. Which is a category even Tank Abbott belongs in. Chuck also did an excellent job as one of the first strikers to keep grapplers on their feet for the KO. Chuck is a forefather of the sprawl n' brawl. Right now some of your top fighters across the divisions are sprawl and brawl fighters.

Not to mention the fact that Chuck Liddell was related to so easily by the fans due to his laid back persona and general charisma. He's probably got more appearances on tv talkshows and radioshows than any other UFC fighter besides maybe Tito Ortiz.

In Tito's case you have a person who perfected the Octagon persona aspect of the game. As well as ushering in a new era of GnP to the game. (Which has now become obsolete, IMO.. but that's a whole nother story)

So there's my reasons for those two being #1 and #2. Oh yeah, and Tito Ortiz is banging Jenna Jameson, which for some reason seems like is the #1 topic of discussion about Tito amongst the un-MMA-educated masses.

Post #10   3/1/08 6:28:19AM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:
No Mark Coleman??? The father of "Ground and Pound." Severn came first but Coleman dominated unlike Severn. I know Maurice Smith time was limited, but didn't Maurice show how a striker could beat a wrestler? What about Frank Shamrock?? He showed what cardio is all about and was the first true MMA fighter.

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #11   3/1/08 9:49:21AM   

jakeiceman

Banned

jakeiceman Avatar

Career:185-141
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Exactly. I'm basing what I wrote on the beginning of the article, which states -

Your points about Royce are 100% correct. I'm not as much of a jiu jitsu lover as you are, and yet I clearly see this being the case.

As far as popularity of the sport goes Tito and Chuck Liddell were the first to really hit the mainstream. Which is a category even Tank Abbott belongs in. Chuck also did an excellent job as one of the first strikers to keep grapplers on their feet for the KO. Chuck is a forefather of the sprawl n' brawl. Right now some of your top fighters across the divisions are sprawl and brawl fighters.

Not to mention the fact that Chuck Liddell was related to so easily by the fans due to his laid back persona and general charisma. He's probably got more appearances on tv talkshows and radioshows than any other UFC fighter besides maybe Tito Ortiz.

In Tito's case you have a person who perfected the Octagon persona aspect of the game. As well as ushering in a new era of GnP to the game. (Which has now become obsolete, IMO.. but that's a whole nother story)

So there's my reasons for those two being #1 and #2. Oh yeah, and Tito Ortiz is banging Jenna Jameson, which for some reason seems like is the #1 topic of discussion about Tito amongst the un-MMA-educated masses.

Ha ha if only banging Jenna Jameson was enough to be famous....Jenna would have literally made a thousand celebrities

Post #12   3/1/08 9:04:11PM