Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Frank Trigg’s Fight Breakdown: Anderson Silva vs. Dan Henderson, Part II

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:2,884-1,626
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I have Hendo by UD, and here is why:

1.) Lots of people are picking Anderson by KO, but I really don't see this happening for one reason : Henderson has never been KOed. Sure, Anderson is perhaps the best striker right now, but that doesn't take away from Hendersons chin. Henderson avoided getting KOed by much bigger and stronger men like Wanderlei and Rampage.

2.) The likelihood of Anderson submitting Dan is fairly slim. Dan has only been submitted twice, and both times the submitters last name was Nogueira. Also, the only submissions Anderson has are striking related.

3.) Andersons takedown defense hasn't been very impressive. He was taken down almost at will by a much weaker, much less technical wrestler than Dan in Travis Lutter. He was also taken down by Marquardt (although he still dominated Marquardt.) Anderson has never faced a wrestler of Hendersons skill, so I cant see him fending off takedowns.

As for why I have Dan by decision instead of finishing Anderson, its fairly simple. Dan knows how fantastic a striker Anderson is, and will probably change his gameplan to deal with that. Not to mention that Anderson has lost two of his three legitimate losses by Sub, and Henderson has only one Sub victory in 22 victories (which was by a strike anyways). Anderson has never lost by TKO, and unless Henderson can get strikes in past Andersons great guard, he will have to TKO him standing (which I really doubt). I actually have a feeling this fight will be a lot more boring than most people expect, with Dan holding Anderson down for most of the fight. We will see though, I really hope im wrong.

Post #16   2/29/08 12:01:07AM   

wapttn

MMeh?

wapttn Avatar

Career:254-148
Chips:

Posted by juanez13

wapttn

dont want to quote your breakdown cus it will fill up the page, but i disagree, mostly with the ending of the fight, i think hendo can defenately win, but if you watch hendo fight, when he takes it to the ground, he isnt the kind of guy looking to pass the guard, look at almost all his fight, and when he is the ground he is mostly in his opponents guard, and he seems to settle for that, and pound from there, take as an example his 2nd fight with wandy, when it was in the ground hendo didnt even attemp to the pass the guard, the most he will go is sidemount, which i think is what he should do, but moving to full mount from there is what i doubt he'll do, i think he will be comfortable there and hold his position, now i dont know if he is looking to change his gameplan, but from looking at his past fight, i doubt he will end up in full mount, also silva's long legs makes it a difficult task , which is what makes me doubt hendo, since he likes to fight in his opponents guard, and silvas long legs might be able to neutrilize hendo's GnP. Good Break down non-the-less.

I was thinking about that too (reluctance to pass the guard).. it really does look like he feels most comfortable in side control or half guard and doesnt work to pass like other fighters. The reason that i see him going to the mount, and this may or may not hold.. is how easily lutter got there. Somewhere in his head he probably thought that if he had silva in the mount the way lutter did, the fight would've been over. He's probably not depending on it, i just see his skill set creating problems for silva that will create the opportunity and he'll probably take it

Post #17   2/29/08 12:17:28AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
Does everyone rember the Lutter fight? Rember everyone talking about how Lutter showed everyone how to beat Anderson? With GNP and top control. Well it just so happens Dan is great at that game and he is not sick from cutting weight like Lutter was. I have to go with Dan after 5. The only way ppl saw Anderson losing was by someone with great wrestling and GNP skills. Hendo happens to be the best at just that.

Post #18   2/29/08 12:44:33AM   

Bemin

Touch gloves, and good fight!

Bemin Avatar

Career:140-118
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
Well after much humming and hawing in both directions I picked Hendo just because I think his clinch game will be better than Silva's for this match up... but let me be say this is a fight that I have waited a long time to see! Other than Fedor/Randy I can't think of a fight I would rather see!

War Hendo! War Silva! May the badest nice guy kick the other badest nice guys ass! I'll be planted in my seat, chicken wing in one hand, beer in the other awaiting MMA extasy for this one.

Last edited 2/29/08 2:37AM server time by Bemin
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #19   2/29/08 2:33:10AM   

andrew2430

Learning to Sprawl

andrew2430 Avatar

Career:792-530
Camp: We're #1
Chips:
imo....if Hendo can weather the storm in the first 2 rounds he wins, or he will get knocked out by silva in the first 2

Post #20   2/29/08 10:04:09AM   

ufcboss

In Full Mount

ufcboss Avatar

Career:404-246
Chips:
I got Silva by KO, I see it like, Heres a man who can just run through Rich Franklin, And others, And makes it look it easy. IMO He will catch Hendo, And It wont be one big punch, It will be many. Silva will Knockout the man with the golden chin.

Post #21   2/29/08 10:17:46AM   

GermanWolf

Learning to Sprawl

GermanWolf Avatar

Career:336-213
Camp: TheAxeMurdererz
Chips:
Hendo all the way baby.

Post #22   2/29/08 2:52:26PM   

jakeiceman

Banned

jakeiceman Avatar

Career:185-141
Chips:
I'm hoping to see that "holy shit" look on Silva's face, similar to the one when Lutter mounted him. I reallllllly hope Henderson pounds the hell out of him!

Post #23   2/29/08 6:05:14PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2