Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Frank Trigg’s Fight Breakdown: Anderson Silva vs. Dan Henderson, Part II

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:

Henderson wins the wrestling. Anderson wins the striking.

Henderson wins the guard pass. Silva wins the guard.

Motion of feet is won by Silva. Harder head is won by Henderson.

Silva wins cardio if the past is correct. Henderson is a bigger bully.

I still got Henderson.

Who you got?

link

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   2/28/08 7:48:51PM   

SmileR

SmileR Avatar

Chips:
I agree with what Frank says. I think Hendo has got this hands down even if he has got one hell of a war on his hands!

Post #2   2/28/08 7:52:35PM   

loonytnt

MMA Sensei

loonytnt Avatar

Career:299-241
Camp: Diaz Fan Club
Chips:
silva 4th KO

Post #3   2/28/08 7:56:54PM   

MALICE

MMA Sensei

MALICE Avatar

Career:698-340
Chips:
Gotta go with Henderson. Not that this makes a difference, just a good show of his heart and endurance.

I'm talking about his fight with Rampage. He had no problem (the first 2 rounds) with controlling Rampage, who is much larger than Silva.

I believe Hendo will control the fight from start to finish.

Post #4   2/28/08 7:58:18PM   

tuvok500

GSP will Comeback JUMP !!!

tuvok500 Avatar

Career:1,969-1,003
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
Silva rd 3 TKO !!

Hendo is going to sleep !!

Post #5   2/28/08 7:59:51PM   

MALICE

MMA Sensei

MALICE Avatar

Career:698-340
Chips:
Off Topic Sort of:

I've been saving an avatar for a bet. I've got Hendo. Any takers?

Post #6   2/28/08 8:08:49PM   

SmileR

SmileR Avatar

Chips:

Posted by tuvok500

Silva rd 3 TKO !!

Them's big words tuvok!!
If your record wasn't so good i might be man enough to argue with you!
But as it is i'll result to this.... Hendo rd 3 TKO !!

Post #7   2/28/08 8:12:27PM   

wapttn

MMeh?

wapttn Avatar

Career:254-148
Chips:
i figured i'd throw my breakdown into a thread with some traffic.. let me know what you think if you got the time to read it

here's my breakdown.. take it for what its worth

Henderson's never been knocked out, the doode's chin is granite and its been tested by some of the best. The problem is that it hasnt been tested by anderson silva. Another fighter known for having an iron jaw is chris leben (lets all remember how the terry martin fight ended). Obviously its hard to compare leben and henderson.. but the point is that Silva destroyed leben in 49 seconds which leads one to believe that henderson's chin being able to hold for five rounds might be a stretch of the imagination.

The next issue is the ground game. Silva has yet to face someone with the wrestling skills of dan henderson. My original instincts for this fight told me that henderson could get silva to the ground, find his way to the mount and pound out the victory. Silva's takedown defense hasnt looked all that great, and despite subbing lutter, his bjj looks decent, but not to the level of the ufc's elites. This told me that henderson shouldnt have too much trouble getting silva to the ground and imposing his will. Theres three problems with this:

first, silva just got his black belt in bjj from the Nogueira brothers.. if you look at henderson's record, he has two submission losses, one to each brother. If theres a type of jiujitsu that works against henderson, silva knows it. So the first problem is that theres a legitimate risk of henderson being subbed if it goes to the ground

The second problem is getting the fight to the ground... needless to say, silva has been working on his takedown defense, and although its looked like an option in the past, a telegraphed shoot from the outside might not cut it this time around. Henderson's takedowns are usually as a result of his roman-greco clinch.. as strong as henderson might be, playing the clinch game with silva is a dangerous game.

The third, and I think biggest problem for henderson to win this fight, is his desire to take it to the ground. Henderson has a lot of confidence in his hands, his power, and his chin.. theres a good chance that he may want to keep it standing and get the KO. The problem with this is that silva's never been KOed either. It may not be an issue of an iron chin with silva.. despite withstanding a barrage of punches from lutters mount, but because of his head movement, footwork, and pinpoint accuracy with his counter punching... hitting the doode is not as easy as it may sound.

In my mind, the way this fight will go is up to henderson... he has the tools it'll take to beat silva, but it really comes down to whether or not he'll use them. My prediction is that henderson will get a taste of silva's striking, and silva's clinch early on and realize that its not where he wants to spend the next 4 rounds of the fight... he'll take silva down and be able to impose his will there.

Henderson 2nd rd tko via the mount

Post #8   2/28/08 8:28:38PM   

SmileR

SmileR Avatar

Chips:

Posted by wapttn

i figured i'd throw my breakdown into a thread with some traffic.. let me know what you think if you got the time to read it

Henderson's never been knocked out, the doode's chin is granite and its been tested by some of the best. The problem is that it hasnt been tested by anderson silva. Another fighter known for having an iron jaw is chris leben (lets all remember how the terry martin fight ended). Obviously its hard to compare leben and henderson.. but the point is that Silva destroyed leben in 49 seconds which leads one to believe that henderson's chin being able to hold for five rounds might be a stretch of the imagination.

The next issue is the ground game. Silva has yet to face someone with the wrestling skills of dan henderson. My original instincts for this fight told me that henderson could get silva to the ground, find his way to the mount and pound out the victory. Silva's takedown defense hasnt looked all that great, and despite subbing lutter, his bjj looks decent, but not to the level of the ufc's elites. This told me that henderson shouldnt have too much trouble getting silva to the ground and imposing his will. Theres three problems with this:

first, silva just got his black belt in bjj from the Nogueira brothers.. if you look at henderson's record, he has two submission losses, one to each brother. If theres a type of jiujitsu that works against henderson, silva knows it. So the first problem is that theres a legitimate risk of henderson being subbed if it goes to the ground

The second problem is getting the fight to the ground... needless to say, silva has been working on his takedown defense, and although its looked like an option in the past, a telegraphed shoot from the outside might not cut it this time around. Henderson's takedowns are usually as a result of his roman-greco clinch.. as strong as henderson might be, playing the clinch game with silva is a dangerous game.

The third, and I think biggest problem for henderson to win this fight, is his desire to take it to the ground. Henderson has a lot of confidence in his hands, his power, and his chin.. theres a good chance that he may want to keep it standing and get the KO. The problem with this is that silva's never been KOed either. It may not be an issue of an iron chin with silva.. despite withstanding a barrage of punches from lutters mount, but because of his head movement, footwork, and pinpoint accuracy with his counter punching... hitting the doode is not as easy as it may sound.

In my mind, the way this fight will go is up to henderson... he has the tools it'll take to beat silva, but it really comes down to whether or not he'll use them. My prediction is that henderson will get a taste of silva's striking, and silva's clinch early on and realize that its not where he wants to spend the next 4 rounds of the fight... he'll take silva down and be able to impose his will there.

Thats a good break down man!! I'm seriously impressed!

Post #9   2/28/08 8:38:28PM   

TimW001

MMA Sensei

TimW001 Avatar

Career:724-436
Chips:

Posted by SmileR

Posted by wapttn

Thats a good break down man!! I'm seriously impressed!

Man, I'm even more split on this fight now. I was going for Anderson, then I changed it to Henderson. Now I'm strongly considering going back to Anderson. I think I'll just flip a coin.

Post #10   2/28/08 9:15:59PM   

candynuts

Belt Contender

candynuts Avatar

Career:253-158
Chips:
Well I believe that Anderson will win now. Frank Trigg's track record from what I know in picking fights is that he is usually wrong.
A few instances that come to mind is that he picked Mark Hunt over Barnett, and Cro Cop over Fedor. A couple more instances were the same.

But then again, the only person that is wrong more than Trigg is myself so who knows.

Post #11   2/28/08 9:26:20PM   

juanez13

P4P

juanez13 Avatar

Career:575-288
Chips:
wapttn

dont want to quote your breakdown cus it will fill up the page, but i disagree, mostly with the ending of the fight, i think hendo can defenately win, but if you watch hendo fight, when he takes it to the ground, he isnt the kind of guy looking to pass the guard, look at almost all his fight, and when he is the ground he is mostly in his opponents guard, and he seems to settle for that, and pound from there, take as an example his 2nd fight with wandy, when it was in the ground hendo didnt even attemp to the pass the guard, the most he will go is sidemount, which i think is what he should do, but moving to full mount from there is what i doubt he'll do, i think he will be comfortable there and hold his position, now i dont know if he is looking to change his gameplan, but from looking at his past fight, i doubt he will end up in full mount, also silva's long legs makes it a difficult task , which is what makes me doubt hendo, since he likes to fight in his opponents guard, and silvas long legs might be able to neutrilize hendo's GnP. Good Break down non-the-less.

Last edited 2/28/08 9:37PM server time by juanez13
Edit note/reason: n/a
3 total post edits

Post #12   2/28/08 9:26:31PM   

bullettdodger

BANNED

bullettdodger Avatar

Career:332-207
Chips:

Posted by loonytnt

silva 4th KO

my sentiments exactly

Post #13   2/28/08 10:10:48PM   

wrestler189

MMA Regular

wrestler189 Avatar

Career:1,721-955
Camp: War Room Warriors
Chips:
disagree...hendo late TKO

Post #14   2/28/08 10:45:42PM   

roman

Standup Guy

roman Avatar

Career:679-391
Chips:

Posted by tuvok500

Silva rd 3 TKO !!

This kind of reminds me of a different Silva vs. Henderson. A matchup in Pride perhaps?

Post #15   2/28/08 11:18:03PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2