Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Evan Tanner – MMA’s Maverick is Back

Print  
Posted By Message

CornishMMA

BANNED

CornishMMA Avatar

Career:497-280
Chips:
Evan Tanner’s boat had sunk – literally. A former UFC middleweight champion and one of the organization’s most popular fighters ever since he made his debut in the Octagon at UFC 18 back in 1999, Tanner had been out of action since an April 2006 win over Justin Levens, and by late 2007, his life was careening out of control, a journey he documented on the internet.

In September of last year though, he got the sign he needed that the way he was living wasn’t productive and that he needed to make a change. It was a painful sign, as the 1939 sailboat he owned proved to be far from seaworthy, and it sunk in Mission Bay in California.

LINK

Post #1   2/25/08 1:48:29PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,409-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
WAR TANNER!!

This thread deserves a fight link

Tanner vs. Lawler

Post #2   2/25/08 3:02:36PM   

silverbullet

Shrimpin' ain't easy

Career:144-82
Chips:
Tanner is one of my all-time favorite fighters. I hope that he comes back with a vengeance.

Post #3   2/25/08 4:01:16PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
Really hope he beats Okami.

Post #4   2/25/08 4:25:42PM   

BlazinSaddle

Banned

Career:67-34
Chips:
tanner will win, hes got too much for okami, too strong and will use that to get him down and GnP him, okami has a chin too if anyone saw how badly amar suloev wooped on him or even when anderson KO'd him, go tanner, no more boring decision wins for okami

Post #5   2/25/08 6:28:28PM   

ToeZup

Standup Guy

ToeZup Avatar

Career:310-202
Camp: fightlockdown
Chips:
If Tanner comes back as the Tanner we remember then this fight is his.
Otherwise Okami will squeak out a decision. Tanner has too much heart to be stopped it would be a decision at best for Okami.

Last edited 2/25/08 6:53PM server time by toezup
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   2/25/08 6:52:23PM   

kasual

MMA Regular

kasual Avatar

Career:353-201
Camp: HERO SQUAD
Chips:
I would really like to see Tanner win this fight but I think he has a lot going against him. Okami has been on a tear lately, aside from dropping the decision to Franklin he has been unstoppable. Plus he is a very physically strong, well rounded and mentally focused fighter. Meanwhile Tanner has been battling personal problems and hasn't been training with a consistent camp for sometime, plus the camps he has been with are not tier 1 camps. Okami might have lost to Franklin but in a decision, Franklin beat Tanner very very badly. The last credible guy Tanner fought was David Terrell and that was almost 3 years ago. Ring rust is one of the toughest things for a fighter to overcome and I think it will get the best of Tanner, the game has changed since he last fought top 10 opposition and it's going to get him badly.

As a fan I think the UFC really needs to beef up that division. If Silva makes it through Henderson there will be no one to challenge him in the division. Silva beat Franklin so badly, twice, that they will never meet again and Franklin would pretty much (and almost has) beat all other opposition. If you can't beat the guy the champ made look foolish what chance to do you have?

Post #7   2/25/08 7:23:17PM   

jrmmaclassics

MMA Regular

jrmmaclassics Avatar

Career:37-18
Chips:
Wondered what happened to Tanner, love his attitude, he is one guy who fights to fight not about the money or fame just the competition. Hope he comes back strong. War Tanner

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1
Photo Attachment 2

Post #8   2/25/08 7:47:47PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by jrmmaclassics

Wondered what happened to Tanner, love his attitude, he is one guy who fights to fight not about the money or fame just the competition. Hope he comes back strong. War Tanner

Because he used to take his pay check and gamble it away. Still love the guy, he's a real stand up guy, no BS.

Post #9   2/25/08 8:39:48PM   

bullettdodger

BANNED

bullettdodger Avatar

Career:332-207
Chips:

Posted by kasual

I would really like to see Tanner win this fight but I think he has a lot going against him. Okami has been on a tear lately, aside from dropping the decision to Franklin he has been unstoppable. Plus he is a very physically strong, well rounded and mentally focused fighter. Meanwhile Tanner has been battling personal problems and hasn't been training with a consistent camp for sometime, plus the camps he has been with are not tier 1 camps. Okami might have lost to Franklin but in a decision, Franklin beat Tanner very very badly. The last credible guy Tanner fought was David Terrell and that was almost 3 years ago. Ring rust is one of the toughest things for a fighter to overcome and I think it will get the best of Tanner, the game has changed since he last fought top 10 opposition and it's going to get him badly.

As a fan I think the UFC really needs to beef up that division. If Silva makes it through Henderson there will be no one to challenge him in the division. Silva beat Franklin so badly, twice, that they will never meet again and Franklin would pretty much (and almost has) beat all other opposition. If you can't beat the guy the champ made look foolish what chance to do you have?

Styles make fights and as we've said many times mmath isn't as concrete as some of us like to think. Basically what i'm saying is just because you beat someone doesn't mean that they won't be able to beat someone that beat you (and vice-versa). I hope Tanner wipes the floor with Okami, but thats cause im a Tanner fan :D

WAR TANNER!

Last edited 2/25/08 10:48PM server time by bullettdodger

Post #10   2/25/08 10:48:34PM   

kasual

MMA Regular

kasual Avatar

Career:353-201
Camp: HERO SQUAD
Chips:
Yep, I whole heartedly agree with styles making fights, and mmath not always adding up. Like I said I would like to see Tanner win this fight I just feel that he has more going against him than for him. While the odds may not bear it out I feel Tanner beating Okami after such a long layoff would be an upset.

What I was also getting at was the lack of any real ranking at 185 with the champion being so dominant and the former champ being very strong as well. In some divisions it can at least be considered that there is a contendership for the belt, but I would be hard pressed to even think of a match-up to decide #1 contender for Silva (if he beats Hendo). Situations where they don't have a #1 contender just leads to title matches that kinda don't make sense. Prime example is Jardine, he beats Chuck, the former champ and he makes Griffin cry but he's still way off from a shot. Meanwhile Griffin beats Shogun, a great fighter but no where in the contender list at 205 and is put in for a shot against Jackson. Meanwhile Jardine has to fight Silva, a guy coming off a loss to someone he beat and risk injury, and his title shot if he loses. Who does a guy have to beat to get their title shot. I gotta say champions coaching TUF is the worst thing for the division, contenders have to fight amongst themselves and wait almost a year to see a title shot and risk injury in the meantime

Also, can someone explain WAR (FIGHTERS NAME), maybe I missed that.

Post #11   2/25/08 11:32:17PM   

RMFG_187

Banned

RMFG_187 Avatar

Career:349-223
Chips:
IMO Tanner has no chance on winning in this fight. Okami is up there in top 5 MW. VERY Powerful, great wrestling and GnP. Tanner really has his hands full . He hasn't been in The Octagon for almost 2 years! A very long time, also considering that his comeback fight is against Yushin.
Good Luck Tanner

Okami UD

PS. im a little tipsy now, so my opinion might change by 2morro.

Last edited 2/26/08 12:03AM server time by rmfg_187
4 total post edits

Post #12   2/26/08 12:01:01AM   

LayinFrame

dont taze me bro.

LayinFrame Avatar

Career:118-108
Camp: UHF Supplies
Chips:

Posted by RMFG_187

IMO Tanner has no chance on winning in this fight. Okami is up there in top 5 MW. VERY Powerful, great wrestling and GnP. Tanner really has his hands full . He hasn't been in The Octagon for almost 2 years! A very long time, also considering that his comeback fight is against Yushin.
Good Luck Tanner

Okami UD

PS. im a little tipsy now, so my opinion might change by 2morro.

i truelly do hope so. all of okami's fights are boring imo. tanner has always been a great fighter to watch, and shit right now he has nothing to lose. his sail boat is gone, his money is gone. hes still got his hippy ass heart tho.

Post #13   2/26/08 2:02:09AM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,337-741
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I love to watch Tanner fight because the guys got so much heart. I just wish he would have taken a different fight for his comeback.

Post #14   2/26/08 3:56:41AM   

jakeiceman

Banned

jakeiceman Avatar

Career:185-141
Chips:
Come on people!! Tanner has one of the biggest hearts in the game...and he sure as hell does not suck. I know Okami is powerful but Tanner has pretty good himself as well as fairly strong submissions. I am picking him to take this...WAR TANNER

Post #15   2/29/08 6:26:23PM