Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

I think Shogun vs Overeem will be the fight of the night At Pride 33

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Reignofterror

MMA Regular

Reignofterror Avatar

Career:61-30
Chips:
Mauricio "Shogun" Rua vs Allistar "The Demolition Man" Overeem could easily steal the show at Pride 33: Second Coming, and could be a lot closer then most people think. I think whats swaying people away from Allistar is that he's lost two of his last fights with Ricardo Arona and Rogerio Nogueira. It also could be the fact that Shogun is on a hot streak.

If Overeem can use his reach to his advantage keeping Shogun at a distance he may edge out a decision but I don't see him KOing him. Shogun is extremely aggresive and he quite often comes rushing at his opponents like a bull, but that is quite simply Chute Boxe's patented system of winning.

What are your thoughts on this fight?

Post #1   2/18/07 3:23:48PM   

fedorwins1

MMA Sensei

Career:552-270
Chips:
Shogun- TKO/KO rd 1

Post #2   2/18/07 3:31:57PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,967-1,114
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Have to disagree. I think Shogun will wup him. I think fight of the night will be Gomi/Diaz or Hendo/Wandy.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #3   2/18/07 3:32:18PM   

SteedTheDeed

Standup Guy

SteedTheDeed Avatar

Career:786-501
Chips:
if we see the shogun that fought nakamura, overeem has a good chance.

Post #4   2/18/07 3:40:05PM   

jocksmall

In Full Mount

Career:213-134
Chips:
i think these two are always in good fights so this should be a good one but think henderson wandy is the one with the most potential

Post #5   2/18/07 3:40:27PM   

nate22

Belt Contender

nate22 Avatar

Career:52-35
Chips:
I'm calling Sakurai vs Mac for fight of the night, that one should be pretty close.

Post #6   2/18/07 3:43:41PM   

hathcock32

In Full Mount

hathcock32 Avatar

Career:1,263-790
Camp: Wicked Wizards
Chips:
Old Twinkle toes Trigg will have the right of the night

Post #7   2/18/07 5:11:02PM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:
Knees, knees and more knees. That's what Overeem has to do.

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #8   2/18/07 5:12:37PM   

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Career:384-262
Chips:
every fight could have potential to be fight of the night (cept probably lil nog vs soudjuko or w/e) i say nakamura vs wiuff...or hendo/wand.. the gomi vs diaz might be a boring fight but might be a slugfest.. never know

all i know is that im excited as heck about pride 33!

Post #9   2/18/07 5:34:33PM   

fedorwins1

MMA Sensei

Career:552-270
Chips:

Posted by loller90278

every fight could have potential to be fight of the night (cept probably lil nog vs soudjuko or w/e) i say nakamura vs wiuff...or hendo/wand.. the gomi vs diaz might be a boring fight but might be a slugfest.. never know

all i know is that im excited as heck about pride 33!

Gomi vs Diaz will be a great fight, I've never seen a boring Diaz fight, even tho Gomi will KTFO Diaz

Post #10   2/18/07 5:37:05PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,967-1,114
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by zephead

He'd tall enought to pull off the knees, but he seems to gas a lot. I think he need's to stIck at HVY. He has to be the biggest LHVY I've seen.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #11   2/18/07 5:44:48PM   

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Career:384-262
Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by zephead

He'd tall enought to pull off the knees, but he seems to gas a lot. I think he need's to stIck at HVY. He has to be the biggest LHVY I've seen.

shogun seemed gassed vs nakamura too so i dont know about either of their conditioning coming into this fight, although it was suspected that shogun was under the weather

but i hate shogun so i hope he loses
i dislike most of the brazilian fighters, don't know why

Post #12   2/18/07 5:50:59PM   

JimiMak

WarWagon Never Die!

JimiMak Avatar

Career:454-333
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
Fight of the night is hard to guess before hand. I really do think this'll be better than most ppl expect, however I think a lot of the matches will be. I'm really surprised at how far apart the odds are on most of these fights. I don't think that there'll be a lot of upsets, but I think that most fights on this card have a better chance of upset than the lines would lead someone to believe (someone who doesn't know the fighters and looks at the lines). I think this thread shows that most of us know that most of these matches will be more competitive than the "experts" think. I'm still tryin to figure out who the big upset of the night will be, this could be it. (I figure there's almost always one big upset).

Post #13   2/18/07 7:05:42PM   

Reignofterror

MMA Regular

Reignofterror Avatar

Career:61-30
Chips:

Posted by loller90278

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by zephead

shogun seemed gassed vs nakamura too so i dont know about either of their conditioning coming into this fight, although it was suspected that shogun was under the weather

but i hate shogun so i hope he loses
i dislike most of the brazilian fighters, don't know why

Trigg announced that Shogun had the cold while he was fighting so that may have been the reason.

Post #14   2/18/07 7:19:07PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
The only upset I could see would be with Misaki and Trigg.

This fight should be good, but Overeem will probably gas, and I don't think he has the weapons to take out Shogun. This big chance is flying knees early or catching Shogun in a guillotine, being as hes slick as hell with that move.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #15   2/18/07 7:21:34PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2