Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Is BJ Penn the future of the UFC Lightweight Division?

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Diamondback2

MMA Regular

Diamondback2 Avatar

Career:409-266
Chips:
Link

BJ Penn is the current UFC Lightweight Champion when he defeated Joe Stevenson at UFC 80: Rapid Fire. He is one of the most talented fighters ever to grace the octagon. Is BJ really the future of a division as deep and talented as the UFC’s 155 lb division?

Written by yours truly! What do you all think? I spent quite a bit of time on it but please let me know your thoughts!

Thanks!

Post #1   2/25/08 1:10:06AM   

ThaAxeMurderer7

MMA Sensei

ThaAxeMurderer7 Avatar

Career:1,277-814
Chips:
It's always the same thing with BJ. I feel that he is ONE of the most talented fighters at 155 but it all depends on him coming prepared. I would love to see him against Calvancanti, Aoki, and Melendez right now. That would tell us a lot.

Post #2   2/25/08 1:37:48AM   

ThaAxeMurderer7

MMA Sensei

ThaAxeMurderer7 Avatar

Career:1,277-814
Chips:
Oh, and I forgot, nice job

Post #3   2/25/08 1:40:26AM   

Diamondback2

MMA Regular

Diamondback2 Avatar

Chips:
Yea that's why in the verdict section i made sure to bold the word "IF". Every fight is so dependent on if he is in shape. I have a feeling though we will see a focused BJ for at least a year or two though.

edit: thank you! im always overcritical of my own work lol! it's nice to hear someone else say it! i really applicate it

Last edited 2/25/08 1:42AM server time by diamondback2
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   2/25/08 1:40:55AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,951-1,087
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
good takedown defense lol, the man has one of the best sprawls in mma

Post #5   2/25/08 1:41:12AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by ThaAxeMurderer7

It's always the same thing with BJ. I feel that he is ONE of the most talented fighters at 155 but it all depends on him coming prepared. I would love to see him against Calvancanti, Aoki, and Melendez right now. That would tell us a lot.

Yeah I would love for Dana to send BJ over to DREAM to be in that lw tourney.

Post #6   2/25/08 1:41:58AM   

Diamondback2

MMA Regular

Diamondback2 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Pookie

good takedown defense lol, the man has one of the best sprawls in mma

yea ive been posting my previous articles over at mmaweekly and there if i was to say anything like that i woul be burned at the stake lol.

edit: i would also love to see him at that tourney. i have a feeling that the Pride LW division wasn't as amazing as previously imagined. I think BJ would beat most of those fighters. I see the tourney part of it being a problem. Although i don't think he has true cardio issues ne more, multiple fights is a different thing. but we all know Dana won't let it, he tried it before with Chuck and that didnt work as expected!

Last edited 2/25/08 1:47AM server time by diamondback2

Post #7   2/25/08 1:44:16AM   

BlazinSaddle

Banned

Career:67-34
Chips:
monster chin, warrior spirit, heavy hands, freakish flexability, one of the best at BJJ, freakish takedown defense, quick, aggressive, dangerous off his back or on top, what else do you need? the guy is a H.O.F.'er right now

the only thing that can beat BJ is himself, like an injury (hughes 2) or a bad day (pulver 1) the machida fight is the only exception since machida is a freak in his own right and BJ had no right fighting that high up in weight against a natural light heavyweight, and many believe BJ won the GSP fight, i call it a draw

Post #8   2/25/08 3:46:53AM   

Tein_Lung

Banned

Career:92-57
Chips:
it depends on how long before BJ gets so cocky he stops training again.. my guess is mid 09 hes lost the belt if not sooner..... its in his personality to be over confident

Last edited 2/25/08 7:12AM server time by tein_lung

Post #9   2/25/08 6:57:22AM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by postman

I think he'd win. He is the most well rounded fighter I think in any division.

Post #10   2/25/08 8:52:22AM   

Diamondback2

MMA Regular

Diamondback2 Avatar

Chips:
it's interesting the diffrence from site to site. When i predicted BJ would submit Joe Stevenson the forums at mmaweekly were all pro-joe. not one person thought i was right about BJ beating him.

On a unrelated note, do you guys like the story enough that i should post them here from now on? I think the articles are up to a high enough standard to be here.

Thanks again!

Post #11   2/25/08 10:44:33AM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:
I pretty much agree with everything you wrote. I think Penn is without doubt the top Lightweight in the world right now. I agree that Sherk is his biggest (only?) competition in the UFC currently, and if BJ wins that fight, I don't see him losing his belt in the next year or two. Huerta seems like the consensus pick to become the next Big Dog in the Lightweight division, but I think he's still a ways away from being able to challenge for the belt. Tyson Griffin and Frankie Edgar are ahead of him, imho (although I think their size could be a hindrance against the elite Lightweights).

A couple of suggestions: As a kind of "introduction to B.J. Penn", it couldn't hurt to toss in the explanation of his nickname. It's cool, and new fans might not know it already. I also noticed a few editing errors that a spell-checker wouldn't pick up (like errant apostrophes - e.g. "Penn is one of the scariest fighter’s in the world"), and the first paragraph under "Upcoming Fights" was obviously written very late at night.

A good editorial and primer for new fans. Overall, I give it a

Post #12   2/25/08 10:52:33AM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:

Posted by Diamondback2

On a unrelated note, do you guys like the story enough that i should post them here from now on? I think the articles are up to a high enough standard to be here.

It's definitely worth posting. My only reservation would be that it isn't news, it's an opinion piece, so it should probably be posted in the UFC forum (or wherever would be appropriate for your topic).

And yeah, some people were really talking up Stevenson, although I notice that only 17% of MMAPlayground voters picked him to beat Penn. Maybe MMAPlayground attracts a smarter crowd...

Post #13   2/25/08 10:56:54AM   

Diamondback2

MMA Regular

Diamondback2 Avatar

Chips:
it does seem that the crowd that patrols these message board is a bit more educated in mma and dosen't base all thier opinions of what they have seen on TUF lol.

i wasn't going to post it here, but i kept seeing other opinion articles (like "Top 10 Biggest Disappointments in 2007") so i figured it would be ok

Post #14   2/25/08 12:13:44PM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:2,028-1,165
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by postman

BJ would love that i bet

Post #15   2/25/08 3:11:58PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2