Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Jamie Varner Ready to Begin his WEC Title Reign

Print  
Posted By Message

wolfman

On the Banned Team...

wolfman Avatar

Career:550-229
Chips:
Jamie Varner proved himself to be a very well rounded and dangerous fighter when he knocked out “Razor” Rob McCullough to win the World Extreme Cagefighting lightweight title this past Saturday night.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=5745&zoneid=2

Last edited 2/21/08 11:01AM server time by wolfman
Edit note/reason: Damn typos!
2 total post edits

Post #1   2/21/08 11:00:16AM   

Trench777

MMA Regular

Trench777 Avatar

Career:171-141
Chips:
Er...umm...that fight was on a Wednesday, not Saturday *shrugs*.

Was a good night of fights, too. (then again, any night that has fights is good with me). 3 Titles up for grabs in one night...very cool.

T777

Post #2   2/21/08 11:04:44AM   

wolfman

On the Banned Team...

wolfman Avatar

Career:550-229
Chips:

Posted by Trench777

Er...umm...that fight was on a Wednesday, not Saturday *shrugs*.

Was a good night of fights, too. (then again, any night that has fights is good with me). 3 Titles up for grabs in one night...very cool.

T777

Ha...I read the whole article and I didn't notice that they said Saturday. Yes, you are correct it was on a Wednesday.

Post #3   2/21/08 11:17:56AM   

Trench777

MMA Regular

Trench777 Avatar

Career:171-141
Chips:
Was a very entertaining fight, I thought. I thought McCullough was gonna win when they stepped in, but as soon as it started, Varner showed no fear & took it to him.

As for Varner wanting to unify the WEC/UFC belts....dude...I'm not a Penn fan (to put it mildly), but the Pothead will own Varner something fierce, if Zuffa ever desides to get stupid & unify belts. (in my ever-so-humble opinion)

Sidenote: I dont think they should unify belts. I know C.Condit wants to fight in the UFC & I'd like to see him there....I think he has mad skillz. However, if/when he does move over, he should vacate the belt. I know its not "officially" the farm league for the UFC, but the WEC needs to remain seperate as far as belts, and maybe in the future, rankings go. Again, just my opinion.

T777

P.S. Thanks for not thinking I was trying to be a dick when I pointed out it was Wed not Sat in my 1st post.

Post #4   2/21/08 12:15:10PM   

BMF

MMA Regular

Career:1,936-1,385
Chips:
I think it is funny how no one is talking about how Varner called time during the fight and was granted it by Mazagatti. Mouth piece lost or not, he was rocked. This is the second questionable call by Mazagatti, first the Lesnar fight now this, he is turning into Herb Dean.

Varner has to prove himself by defending the title before we can talk about a reign in the WEC, and as for hopes for a crossover event in the UFC?? Why, there is at least 3 guys that would kill him, Penn, Sherk and Florian.

Post #5   2/21/08 2:42:39PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,631-1,351
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
As has been said multiple times. When a mouth guard is out and there is a break in the action (yes being 10 feet away counts as a break in the action), the referee is required to stop the action and get the mouth guard back in.

Varner let the ref know it was out, as it appeared Mazzagatti had not noticed it.

There is nothing questionable about it.

Post #6   2/21/08 2:50:09PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,631-1,351
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
But back to topic, unifying any of the UFC & WEC belts is a horrible idea, and the people running each promotion are smart enough not to do that.

Post #7   2/21/08 2:53:19PM   

bullettdodger

BANNED

bullettdodger Avatar

Career:332-207
Chips:

Posted by BMF

I think it is funny how no one is talking about how Varner called time during the fight and was granted it by Mazagatti. Mouth piece lost or not, he was rocked. This is the second questionable call by Mazagatti, first the Lesnar fight now this, he is turning into Herb Dean.

Varner has to prove himself by defending the title before we can talk about a reign in the WEC, and as for hopes for a crossover event in the UFC?? Why, there is at least 3 guys that would kill him, Penn, Sherk and Florian.

the lesner call also not that questionable, watch the post of it in slow motion, lesner hit him with those giant canned hams 4-5 times, not flush every time, but all in the region considered the back of the head :D

and unifying the belts would defeat the purpose of having the wec to begin with, keep em separate and keep em breakin new talent. It gives the younger guys just coming up a better shot at being more well rounded by the time they get to the UFC. The kids in the WEC need to remember though while some like Carlos Condit and Faber and Filho, and many more could all fight in the UFC they're not quite at that level of competition yet.
edit
(i know there are people in the WEC that ARE at the UFC level, but they are at the top of WEC and would be middle at best in the UFC debut)

Last edited 2/21/08 3:06PM server time by bullettdodger
Edit note/reason: forgot to say something

Post #8   2/21/08 3:04:08PM   

Sam_Rothstein

Belt Contender

Sam_Rothstein Avatar

Career:950-555
Chips:
if he gets away with fighting some of the cans that razor rob got away with fighting then he probably will have a good run as title holder

Post #9   2/22/08 6:15:36AM