Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

James Thompson's weekend with the WarWagon.

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

JimiMak

WarWagon Never Die!

JimiMak Avatar

Career:454-333
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
Boondock and (DJ) Submerged Got to spend the Elite XC event this weekend as the personal guests of James Thompson. This is another step in what we've all been telling you about the the interaction we have with each other and James himself. This is not some fanclub of the week. This is one of the biggest class acts in all of sports. The following is from Boondock's personal acct of the weekend. You can find this (in it's entirety) and so much more on the best forum in the world known (direct link at bottom).from one of the worlds most famous HL makers and hardcore mma fans getting to meet James his girlfriend and a host of ppl backstage.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My preface from my feelings after getting in from the fight:

Quote:
Full write up/report coming soon. Pretty tired after a 2 hour flight turned into a 7 hour ordeal. Headed to bed soon.

Just take this fellas... the weekend was obviously dissapointing due to James losing... but I have to say that having only knowing James in the limited capacity of e-mail, PM's, myspace, facebook, and a few phone calls.... meeting him in person only solidifies my loyalty and FRIENDSHIP with the guy. James, of all the fighters present, was consistently honorable and respectful to everyone around him (not just us) and the way he went up to Roger's afterwards and spoke to him was a thing of such class that Roger's was even surprised. My loyalty was never suspect but there is no doubt after meeting James that the WarWagon is different because we stand behind a man who is honorable, humble, respectful, and gracious. He's got character and class and despite my heartbreak, I couldn't have been more proud to have been with him.

Add Graz into the equation and it was pretty amazing. She's stunning in both her beauty and her spirit. She allowed Sub and I to have fun being "VIP" while she took a seat. She was open and generous and stood up for James when needed. He's got a big heart and I was impressed with her ability to know when to step in so to speak.

Sumberged can attest to all this.

And to James if you read this, don't question our loyalty, don't question our support, don't question our friendship. If it were all about the "wins" we'd all be on a Russian site right now talking about the Fedor VarVagon. I got your back brother, WE got your back. You'll fight again, you'll win again, you might lose again. Those are part of what comes with the professional sport you've chosen.... but they don't effect the level of respect we have for each other and yourself here on the James Thompson WarWagon.

I mean it bro.

We met a lot of fighters, had a lot of fun. I have a lot of pictures to post for later. But for tonight I'm just putting up this one of James, Sub, and myself. He was so good to us and genuinely glad to meet us. Meeting him was a highlight in and of itself.

And most of all James, just thanks.
full pics now and article here [

Last edited 2/19/08 4:44PM server time by jimimak
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #1   2/18/08 8:10:56PM   

JimiMak

WarWagon Never Die!

JimiMak Avatar

Chips:

At this point I'll take a minute to say a few things about how fulfilling this moment in time was for me. I never would have thought that 2 years ago on a random Thursday, while making a video about James Thompson loving DVDs... that I would be meeting the guy in the lobby of his hotel. Heck, at each step I've been amazed at what's happened here. I never thought I'd end up friends with the guy I was making a video of. Never truly envisioned the scope of the JTWW. Never thought we'd get a website. And I never would have thought there'd be a group of guys like you so loyal to a fighter in today's world of "what did you win for me lately."

Meeting James was a great moment and one that meant a lot. I'm so grateful to him and not only because he forgave me for making that first video of him, "taking the piss" (as he put it). I also want to be clear that I was grateful before this past weekend. The EliteXC show and meeting James didn't "make it all worth it" for me... it was worth it LONG before this when I began to see James more as a friend than just a fighter.

This moment was a long time in coming and I loved it.

In kind of a "WTF alternate dimension am I in?" type haze we follow James in the back door "fighter's entrance."

This is where it gets nuts as a fan. We walk in the back door and on our way to the Red Corner locker room we pass Mauro Renallo and Goldberg. Then we get to the locker room and it's very small and packed with fighters and their teams. The smell and sense of swet, tape, new gloves, and restrained adrenaline is palpable.

Right behind me sitting down is Scott Smith and his team, he looks cool and hawk-eyed. Not a shred of nerves when we meet eyes. RIGHT in front of me is Anderson Silva and Big Nog. (Literally, within a foot) They're here to corner their young fighter Rafael Feijao. Yves Edwards has his iPod on, hoodie on his head, and is just chillin. Antonio Silva is in the corner talking with someone and there's a few other guys on the undercard warming up.

Post #2   2/18/08 8:16:01PM   

JimiMak

WarWagon Never Die!

JimiMak Avatar

Chips:
I was sad for Submerged who mixed a great song for James to walk out to. The Elite staff wouldn't use it because of copyright or some nonsense even though the artist was RIGHT THERE and obviously was giving permission. Maybe Submerged will be kind enough to let you hear it but I wish so much they would have let him walk out to it. ...next time Submerged.

I rewatched the Showtime version and you can here me and Sub yelling stuff. That made me laugh.

As for the fight, James gong and dashed and then fought smart, choosing to close distance, clinch and go for the takedown instead of trying to replay Hawtness vs Frye. Roger's td defense was better than I expected and he got up well when he went down twice. Still James was winning round one. Then they separated and James took and knee and got caught.

Sub and I watched the rest of the fights and there were some great KO's and all. Yves' knee was amazing, Smith's right punch was steel, and Ricco looked good while Antonio looked slow. (Silva said in the post fight press conference that he snapped his MCL 2 weeks before the fight. You could tell, he didn't look like the same fighter I saw last time.)

It was so late by the time the press conference was over. I was on 2 hours sleep, Submerged was on 4, and James and Graz were obviously drained. He was gracious enough to stay and talk with people around but I couldn't imagine the weariness of it all.

We said goodbye with a promise to do it again and parted ways.

Post #3   2/18/08 8:22:13PM   

JimiMak

WarWagon Never Die!

JimiMak Avatar

Chips:
Picks are next. I just wanna take a second to personally thank James for being the great, classy, charasmatic, heart of a lion, and heart of gold guy that he is. He has changed my view on being a fan. This gives me a reason to ROOT for him on a different level than any other fighter. I know that one day soon I too will be hanging with him at an event. As well as with all of my brothers on the WarWagon.

WAR M*F"N JT!

The kind of person we can all look up to.

Last edited 2/18/08 8:49PM server time by JimiMak

Post #4   2/18/08 8:24:40PM   

JimiMak

WarWagon Never Die!

JimiMak Avatar

Chips:
Follow this link to the longer version Boon posted for picks and more details. Rather than copying all the pics.

Let me get a shout for The Man.

Post #5   2/18/08 9:22:26PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,853-1,062
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Sounds like an awesome time. Congrats to you and yours for the cool experience.

I have a much better understanding of your angry posting that night, and I see that it is very personal for you to defend JT. I respect that. You gotta understand too that when you wear your heart on your sleeve and shove it in people's face, then you take the chance of having it shoved back at you.

I've had several run-ins with the JTWW both good and bad. I am happy for you guys and what you have accomplished.

Post #6   2/19/08 1:36:45AM   

Catharsis

Learning to Sprawl

Catharsis Avatar

Career:342-186
Chips:
JTTT

Great write up, great pictures. JT is a real man of character and that's why I'm a fan.

Post #7   2/19/08 8:08:14PM   

richieb19

MMA Sensei

richieb19 Avatar

Career:239-153
Chips:
Fantastic, I'm so happy to see a mainstream fighter take the time to appreciate his fans. I'm not a huge JT fan myself, and it broke my heart when he beat Yosh... but I'm sincerely concidering joining this WarWagon. Someone PM me.

Post #8   2/19/08 8:35:08PM   

Boondock

Learning to Sprawl

Boondock Avatar

Career:857-572
Chips:
I had a great time meeting James and getting to hang out with the EliteXC fighters.

Thanks to those of you who understand what the WarWagon's all about:

Being loyal to a fighter because of who he is despite his latest win or loss.

The "what have you done for me lately" MMA fandom needs to take heed.

Thanks again James.

Long Live MMA!

-Boon

Post #9   2/19/08 11:43:44PM   

FrankDukes

Learning to Sprawl

FrankDukes Avatar

Career:219-115
Chips:
I had a good time.

Mind you, I wasn't actually on the "trip".

Post #10   2/20/08 12:16:30AM   

EvilScott

MMA Regular

EvilScott Avatar

Career:681-409
Chips:
JTTT, what other "WarWagon" gets to hang out with their fighter? *******-a-YEAH!

Post #11   2/20/08 12:16:32AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,416-1,238
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
It's amazing that the sport is still in its early stages enough for fighters to be this personable; and remarkable that there are fighters like James Thompson to show this level of respect and gratitude to his fans.

WAR James Thompson; Rain or Shine!

Post #12   2/20/08 12:50:53AM   

khoiler

Learning to Sprawl

khoiler Avatar

Career:618-347
Chips:
I think your write-up kind of sheds light into the mindset of the JTWW. We're not that old and we're steadily evolving. It used to be that we were all so gung-ho about defending any defamatory statements made about us or JT- we still are of course, but the emphasis of what we are as a group of fans is that we're here to celebrate JT and his endeavors (win or lose) and to celebrate that connection that makes us a WarWagon. I guess celebrate would be the most apt word to use.

We've had our ups and downs, but it's been a fun ride so far....and there's so much still out there.

I don't know if I explained it correctly, and I don't suppose anyone outside of the WW will understand what I mean. But that's ok, because I think those of us on the WW know what I mean - and it's something beyond words.

Last edited 2/20/08 12:54AM server time by khoiler
2 total post edits

Post #13   2/20/08 12:52:29AM   

drunkinirishdungeonmaster

Learning to Sprawl

drunkinirishdungeonmaster Avatar

Career:342-179
Chips:
people hate, because they aren't hated on

the WW will always roll on, it's that simple

and next time Boon, I swear, just give me the word, and I'll be there

JTWW 4 life, since day 3

DIDM abides, and is gathering funds to trademark WARWAGON, we were the first, and rightful owners, of the term. QUIT USING IT YOU UNORIGINAL FOOLS!!!!!!!!!

<------------- I Love this guy

Post #14   2/20/08 12:53:36AM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:
The way JT treats his fans is exemplary. Marcus Davis also treats his fans well and is active on his forums. it is good to have athletes that respond to their fans, i also heard the joe lauzon is also very respectable and interacts with his fans a lot as well. however i have yet to see a fighter be as involved with his fans as JT and i wish you all, and him, the best.

Post #15   2/20/08 12:54:13AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2