Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Organizational Unity!

Print  
Posted By Message

aceprone

Standup Guy

aceprone Avatar

Career:1,037-635
Camp: Slackers
Chips:
I was reading my FightSport magazine today and there was a section in it about what organizations work other organizations and what organizations won't have anything to do with each other. It was really disheartening to tell you the truth. I've always thought about Pride and UFC unity, but why not add K1, Shooto, Hero's, IFL, EliteXC and so fourth into the mix. There are so many great fighters in the world and how many great match ups that will never happen. It's a damn shame. If all these organizations could unit, there could be a weekly payperviews that each fight card would never have a missmatch regardless of there being a championship fight on it or not. Every fight card would be so stacked that it wouldn't even matter! And the world would actually have a the number one fighter as the Champion in each weight class. Fighters would be making so much money and so would the organizations, because the whole world would be tuned in to watch a Monthly World Championship Fight. It would be insane! I know this is a far fetch dream and more then likely unrealistic and I'll probably get "flamed" for this post, but it's my dream and I think the unity should start with the UFC and Pride, unifying the East with the West!

Last edited 2/17/07 11:52PM server time by aceprone
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   2/17/07 11:50:27PM   

xthe_scottx

In Full Mount

Career:342-173
Camp: MMA Weekly
Chips:
I'm pretty sure all true fans think all MMA organizations should unify. It's just to bad that because some fighters stick to only certain organizations, we can't see so many dream match-ups

Last edited 2/17/07 11:56PM server time by xthe_scottx
Edit note/reason: misspelling

Post #2   2/17/07 11:56:29PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,941-1,101
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Amen, preach on brother.. but seriously I agree. Unless a unified sanctioning governing body comes along I fear MMA could go the way of boxing. There needs to be unified rules and a way for the best fighter's to have to fight eachother. It's only a demand from the fans that could make this happen however.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #3   2/17/07 11:58:35PM   

aceprone

Standup Guy

aceprone Avatar

Chips:
I know I'm not the only one and I should of mentioned that, but I was just thinking about some of the fighters in K1 that would have some awsome matchups. And the lightweights in Shooto and Heros that the U.S. will never see. It's a shame!

Post #4   2/17/07 11:58:42PM   

mrsumo

Standup Guy

mrsumo Avatar

Career:270-233
Camp: Team Bullshido
Chips:
I don't think it is a question of unity. I don't really care if Pride and the UFC unite. I just think that there shouldn't be exclusivity clauses in fighter contracts. A fighter should be able to take any fight he chooses to in any promotion regardless of his ranking.

Post #5   2/18/07 12:02:13AM   

Manfred

MMA Sensei

Manfred Avatar

Career:596-351
Chips:

Posted by mrsumo

I don't think it is a question of unity. I don't really care if Pride and the UFC unite. I just think that there shouldn't be exclusivity clauses in fighter contracts. A fighter should be able to take any fight he chooses to in any promotion regardless of his ranking.

Props for that. I'd like to see more cross-promotion, but I'm not sure if the orgs. should unite. I'd rather see the fighters unite and demand better freedom in their contracts

Post #6   2/18/07 12:21:31AM   

aceprone

Standup Guy

aceprone Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Manfred

Posted by mrsumo

Props for that. I'd like to see more cross-promotion, but I'm not sure if the orgs. should unite. I'd rather see the fighters unite and demand better freedom in their contracts

Wether it's organizational or by contract, I just wish something would happen. That's all I'm saying....

Post #7   2/18/07 12:23:08AM   

BabbyHughes

MMA Regular

BabbyHughes Avatar

Career:623-389
Chips:
well said post. I would love to see organization unity or an open platform type MMA organization. Either would be great. I just hope it happens.

Post #8   2/18/07 1:11:39AM   

Reignofterror

MMA Regular

Reignofterror Avatar

Career:61-30
Chips:
I think this is somehow what the UFC wnats to do is monopolize the MMA market to deplete other organizations of their fighters by offering the huge salaries that they have been assigning lately,

Post #9   2/18/07 1:34:10AM   

Trapt1nw0nder

BANNED

Career:473-286
Chips:
Amen!

i have always thought....

why dont they make it like boxing? each of the fighters have their own promoter and have the freedom to fight anywhere they please if they agree on a price

not only would it be better for us fans to be able to see all those dream match-ups but also better for the fighters to get bigger paydays

there are too many orgs so NO fighter can really call themselves the best in the world

wouldnt you all like MMA is it was Managed like Boxing?

Post #10   2/18/07 1:54:07AM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Amen!

i have always thought....

why dont they make it like boxing? each of the fighters have their own promoter and have the freedom to fight anywhere they please if they agree on a price

not only would it be better for us fans to be able to see all those dream match-ups but also better for the fighters to get bigger paydays

there are too many orgs so NO fighter can really call themselves the best in the world

I agree with your premise , but not your example. Their needs to be a universal sanctioning body in MMA, which boxing doesn't have. WBA/WBC/IBF/WBO will all strip someone who doesn't defend thier title aginst who they thinki s the #1 contender. Not to mention Don King( who once practically ran the WBC) wouldn't let anyone fight his guys unless they agreed to him promoting thier next few fight's . This is similiar to what we have now, and I understand each org. wanting to have things done thier way, in their org. , and they each want the lion share of the money. Utopian idea it may be, but the only thing that could prevent this is a unifaction sanctioning , governing body. Same rules, weight classes, neutral venues, refs, officials, and even money split's( between org's) where only the winner( fighter ) gets more than the loser. Floyd Merriweathter is the champ right now, but De La Hoya will get more money becasue he sells more ticket's. As long as their are seperate titles (and seperate orgs. have a financial stake in keeping guys they have under contract champ) they will try to protect their org. first. I firmly beleive we as fan's , if we make enough noise about it, are the only ones that can bring about some form of unifacation.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #11   2/18/07 2:13:37AM   

dstlvb

MMA Regular

dstlvb Avatar

Career:373-248
Chips:
I think unifying is a double edged sword sometimes. While i like the idea of having the matchups we want to see and a true #1 in the ring, i personally like Prides rules better with knees on the ground and the deduction of fight purse for inaction. I dont think we will see the knees on the ground in the US.

I still hold out hope for orgs working together. While i would never hear anything about Pride on a UFC broadcast, recently the have named Pride by name and mentioned Nog and Fedor, even calling them the tops in the world. Since this boom in MMA is still young i think 2007 will be the key year for what we might expect in the future.

Post #12   2/18/07 11:42:42AM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Chips:
I think everyone would like knees on the ground , bu twrestlers maybe. However, I don't like footstomps/soccer kicks. That truly look's barbaric IMO , and will never get sanctioned in the US.

The Iron Code

Post #13   2/19/07 2:13:02PM   

unchillphil

MMA Regular

unchillphil Avatar

Career:2,278-1,250
Chips:

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

No!!!

Boxing is corrupted and there are too many orgs, weight divisions and belts. However, the fact that each fighter is somewhat independant and can fight when and where he wants is good. I wish we could have that in MMA.

Post #14   2/19/07 2:39:19PM   

Greene33

MMA Regular

Greene33 Avatar

Career:590-391
Chips:

Posted by Reignofterror

I think this is somehow what the UFC wnats to do is monopolize the MMA market to deplete other organizations of their fighters by offering the huge salaries that they have been assigning lately,

It doesnt work, if you remeber a few years ago Pride tried the same thing with alot of the UFC talent. It hurts the other org but never kills them...

Post #15   2/19/07 3:59:28PM