Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Latest interview with Georges St. Pierre

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

MMA

Pimpin

MMA Avatar

Career:672-349
Chips:
Click here for article.

Post #1   2/17/07 11:08:45PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,924-1,081
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Thanks for posting that. I like the factthat he won't fight his close friends. Of course, I can't think of any close friends/teammates that he has in his weight that are contender's for his belt. I'm glad he didn't talk about moving to 205 in this interview. 185 he could be a contenderm I think he would be overpowerd by any top 10 LHVY.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #2   2/18/07 12:09:16AM   

MMA

Pimpin

MMA Avatar

Chips:
I actually don't agree with his friend policy. They are professionals, so they should be able to keep their business distinct from their personal life. Something so superficial as fighting should not destroy your friendship if there is a strong bond between the two.

Post #3   2/18/07 1:58:42PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Chips:
Agree to diasagree then. I could never unleash on someone close to me the way I could on someone I hated or at least didn't matter a lot to me.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #4   2/18/07 2:05:44PM   

Trapt1nw0nder

BANNED

Career:473-286
Chips:

Posted by MMA

I actually don't agree with his friend policy. They are professionals, so they should be able to keep their business distinct from their personal life. Something so superficial as fighting should not destroy your friendship if there is a strong bond between the two.

if they want they to fight friends because they are "professionals"...then they should pay them like professionals

Post #5   2/18/07 2:10:40PM   

nate22

Belt Contender

nate22 Avatar

Career:52-35
Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

Agree to diasagree then. I could never unleash on someone close to me the way I could on someone I hated or at least didn't matter a lot to me.

I totally agree and i'm also on this side of the fence. The way Dana spoke to Rashad in my opinion was one of the most Dana-you-are-a-fool moments I have seen (there are hundreds of them, though don't get me wrong). If people are comfortable fighting their friends then fair enough, let them go at it. Those who aren't or simply can't then that should be that, it is only one of the friends who is going to be prevented from taking the next step to the belt or to win the belt. Yes it might throw a spanner into the works of a division but that's not the point, whats the point in two guys fighting if they are unable to fight the fight that everybody really wants to see.

The problem with this is where to draw the line. For instance Chuck could say 'oh me and Bisping are friends i'm not fighting him' (not that he would, but obv, not the point) Hasn't Rashad only known Jardine since the show? This almost gives some guys a chance to have a wildcard if they don't fancy a fight against one another, it's not as if any MMA org is going to have any way of regulating whether people are in fact good enough friends or not.

When UFC makes the contracts they need to state the fighters who they won't fight, they can't two fights down the line say they don't want to fight whoever because quite frankly it messes things up for the UFC. However if they have not already done that then Dana has no right to say 'You will fight Jardine'

Post #6   2/18/07 2:23:34PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Chips:
Tha's a very good point . This will avoid a Tito/Chuck situation arising. Where huys kinda train with eachother for a while.,

The Iron Code

Post #7   2/18/07 2:27:07PM   

Reignofterror

MMA Regular

Reignofterror Avatar

Career:61-30
Chips:
Thanks for the link, great interview.

Post #8   2/18/07 2:55:00PM   

MMA

Pimpin

MMA Avatar

Chips:
Evans trains with Jardine on a regular basis, so I think they have developed some kind of close bond.

I agree that most MMA fighters do not get paid enough, but trust me, the big names are getting a lot of money. Don't be fooled by the UFC salaries they give to the state, those do not include PPV percentages, endorsements, etc.

Post #9   2/18/07 6:08:10PM   

Trapt1nw0nder

BANNED

Career:473-286
Chips:

Posted by MMA

Evans trains with Jardine on a regular basis, so I think they have developed some kind of close bond.

I agree that most MMA fighters do not get paid enough, but trust me, the big names are getting a lot of money. Don't be fooled by the UFC salaries they give to the state, those do not include PPV percentages, endorsements, etc.

yes the big names get alot,but not the newcomers

i heard Tito and Chuck made over a million each in their last fight

Post #10   2/19/07 5:24:47AM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Career:802-575
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
thanks i posted a interview a while back. In it GSP said that he wanted to beat everyone at 185 and then move up to 205.
This guy is a competitor. He wants to be the best. I think if he bulked up he could be a LHW. He is after all 5'10" and a big one at that.

Post #11   2/19/07 1:24:00PM   

DirtySouthBoss

MMA Regular

DirtySouthBoss Avatar

Career:18-21
Chips:
Cool interview. GSP does seem to be genuine. It would be cool to see some of the great UFC fighters move around their weight classes some more like Pride does. Shows that they really do want to be the best overall and not in a 20 pound range.

Post #12   2/19/07 1:44:08PM   

unchillphil

MMA Regular

unchillphil Avatar

Career:2,278-1,250
Chips:

Posted by MMA

I actually don't agree with his friend policy. They are professionals, so they should be able to keep their business distinct from their personal life. Something so superficial as fighting should not destroy your friendship if there is a strong bond between the two.[/QUOTE

I guess it means that "fighting" is not "so superficial" for GSP. Different fighters will approach the game differently. Not wanting to seriously hurt your opponent might be detrimental and eventually make you lose a fight you should have won. I agree with Georges. I wouldn't fight my close friends or training partners. Training/sparring doesn't count because you're obviously not trying to seriously hurt your opponent.

Post #13   2/19/07 2:28:14PM   

unchillphil

MMA Regular

unchillphil Avatar

Career:2,278-1,250
Chips:
I need to learn how to quote!

Post #14   2/19/07 2:31:00PM   

Zvonimir

MMA Regular

Zvonimir Avatar

Career:279-164