Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Who should be Rich Franklins first fight at 205lbs?

Print  
  Page 3 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,993-1,122
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by ocho-cinco

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by MMAcca

Posted by ocho-cinco

I dout Franklin will ever hold a belt again as long as Silva and Hendo are around, so he might as well try his luck at 205. If he stays at 185, he will just be going in circles. At 205 the UFC would be able to hype his fights alot better especially if he could get a few wins, and I think there are for sure some guys he could beat at 205. Anderson Silva made him look very average, so it's easy to forget that Franklin is still a very dangerous fighter. He will never wear the LHW belt, but it might not be such a bad idea for him to move up just to get some hype going.

Give him some credit, he's a bit better than gatekeeper imo. He's at least the 3rd best MW in the UFC definately (possibly 2nd as he hasn't fought Hendo yet)

I concur. IMO Gatekeepers are more along the lines of Leben or Lytle. Guys who are tough, and can make a fight difficult against most guys, but will generally lose to anyone top 15.

First of all I never called anyone a gate keeper. I thought I made it clear that I think Franklin is a very good fighter, just Anderson Silva proved he is on another level, and I think Hendo is too. I guess it may have been a bit harsh to say he will never wear the belt again, but I just don't see that happening as long as one of thoes two are around. I mean he can only have so many chances against Silva. If Hendo becomes the new champ, then he will get another chance, but if he loses that, and he would be the underdog, then he doesn't really have anywhere to go. I think Franklin is without question the 3rd best MW in the UFC by alot, but there is a good distance between him and 2nd as well, and I think a move to LHW could re-motivate him.

I agree that Anderson is a bad match up for Franklin, but I'm not so sure about Hendo. i think Hendo's a tough matchup for Anderson, but styles make fights. I definitely think Franklin has better standup & handspeed than Hendo. I also tyhink Franklin has a decent chin. It took a accumulation of as lot of shots to put him out all 3 rimes he was Tkoed, annd he was never completelyt out. Being dropped has nothing to do with Chin IMO, as Wandy( one of the all-time great chins IMO) has been dropped tons of times, but usually recovers. While I would personally have no interest in a Anderson/Franklin 3 ( unless he really improves in the clinch by training with someone like Hendo/Randy & has wins aginst 2 or 3 good guys straight) I would like to see Hendo/Franklin sometime. I still think Rich should have to beat Marquardt , in addition to Lutter at least , before earning another shot at anybody.

Last edited 2/20/08 6:43AM server time by hippysmacker
Edit note/reason: n/a

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #31   2/20/08 6:40:09AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,590-1,480
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
the one thing i havent seen in this thread is proof of this happening so to me this is all conjecture. as far as rich being a gatekeeper, i know its been covered but thats ridiculous, silva has his number, and i dont think theres much arguing that, but a hendo fight would be very tough to call IMO because to me they match up well. its been said that richs biggest advantage is his size, and although i think thats a big part of why hes been so good in the ufcs MW division, his best asset is that he has no glaring holes in his game unless matched up against silva. the guy is as well rounded as just about anyone in mma, and he has the right mentality to be a fighter on the highest level. he wont be moving to LHW any time soon though, so its moot for me to even guess who an opponent would be.

Post #32   2/20/08 9:50:41AM   

DustinT

MMA Regular

DustinT Avatar

Career:1,658-901
Camp: The MMA Army
Chips:
mma fans really are fickel....man....
how does one become a gatekeeper just cuz he is beat by one of the ( if not THE top ) p4p around right now? Sure, he was dominated both times. I was sad to see it too....but please, he's no gatekeeper. I can't beleive some actually would say that.

Post #33   2/20/08 12:51:29PM   

MFOTHER

In Full Mount

MFOTHER Avatar

Career:1,027-563
Chips:

Posted by DustinT

mma fans really are fickel....man....
how does one become a gatekeeper just cuz he is beat by one of the ( if not THE top ) p4p around right now? Sure, he was dominated both times. I was sad to see it too....but please, he's no gatekeeper. I can't beleive some actually would say that.

Post #34   2/20/08 7:10:48PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

the one thing i havent seen in this thread is proof of this happening so to me this is all conjecture.

I agree and I wanted to let the thread started know that information from a magazine is not that useful because it is usually 1-2 months old and not any more credible than a random website reporting it.

Post #35   2/20/08 7:22:41PM   

Page 3 of 3     1     2     3