Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Who should be Rich Franklins first fight at 205lbs?

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:

Posted by MMAcca

Give him some credit, he's a bit better than gatekeeper imo. He's at least the 3rd best MW in the UFC definately (possibly 2nd as he hasn't fought Hendo yet)

Posted by whardin19

Franklin is no gate keeper in my mind either. The guy is still a top 5 middleweight in my opinion. But, if he wants to jump up to 205 more power to him. He's a big 185 so why not try it out if he doesn't think he's gonna get another chance at 185. Whatever he wants to do I support him, I'm a big fan.

Right on.

Franklin would be too much for every other UFC Middleweight right now. Lutter is in trouble. After that, I could see Franklin beating Marquardt and Kampmann. If Okami wants another piece, I think Franklin would beat him again, probably more decisively. Regardless of who wins at UFC 82, I say bring on Hendo.

Last edited 2/17/08 11:57AM server time by AchillesHeel
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #16   2/17/08 11:56:22AM   

ocho-cinco

In Full Mount

ocho-cinco Avatar

Career:994-597
Camp: nelson top team
Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by MMAcca

Posted by ocho-cinco

I dout Franklin will ever hold a belt again as long as Silva and Hendo are around, so he might as well try his luck at 205. If he stays at 185, he will just be going in circles. At 205 the UFC would be able to hype his fights alot better especially if he could get a few wins, and I think there are for sure some guys he could beat at 205. Anderson Silva made him look very average, so it's easy to forget that Franklin is still a very dangerous fighter. He will never wear the LHW belt, but it might not be such a bad idea for him to move up just to get some hype going.

Give him some credit, he's a bit better than gatekeeper imo. He's at least the 3rd best MW in the UFC definately (possibly 2nd as he hasn't fought Hendo yet)

I concur. IMO Gatekeepers are more along the lines of Leben or Lytle. Guys who are tough, and can make a fight difficult against most guys, but will generally lose to anyone top 15.

First of all I never called anyone a gate keeper. I thought I made it clear that I think Franklin is a very good fighter, just Anderson Silva proved he is on another level, and I think Hendo is too. I guess it may have been a bit harsh to say he will never wear the belt again, but I just don't see that happening as long as one of thoes two are around. I mean he can only have so many chances against Silva. If Hendo becomes the new champ, then he will get another chance, but if he loses that, and he would be the underdog, then he doesn't really have anywhere to go. I think Franklin is without question the 3rd best MW in the UFC by alot, but there is a good distance between him and 2nd as well, and I think a move to LHW could re-motivate him.

Post #17   2/17/08 2:16:26PM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,782-1,038
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
The gap between 2nd and 3rd is not as big as you may believe. Like somebody has already posted, Hendo is a much better match-up for Rich than Silva was imo.

Post #18   2/17/08 3:38:19PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,841-1,016
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by MMAcca

The gap between 2nd and 3rd is not as big as you may believe. Like somebody has already posted, Hendo is a much better match-up for Rich than Silva was imo.

i honestly dont see how he could last 3 rounds against hendo. He was ko'd by a front kick of machida's. Hendo's punching power is on a different level.

But on a less subjective note, where could franklin keep the fight to have an advantage over dan. Hes a much less dangerous striker, with a much less durable chin. His wrestling doesnt quite hold water against dan's olympic greco. The clinch... we'll see how hendo neutralizes silva's. If he can then its not a big jump to say he's stronger in that area then franklin is as well. The main attribute i see franklin having over alot of opponents is strength, but even there he is out matched. Hendo out muscled rampage for a while in their fight. Rampage, who is phenomenally strong for LHW.

I don't see a single area where franklin isnt in danger, let alone capable of scoring points to grind out a decision.

Post #19   2/17/08 3:54:24PM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:798-457
Camp: MMA Worldwide
Chips:
I dunno, dans obviously the more powerful striker but i think rich has better technique. Also, richs clinch game is alot better than people give him credit for, theres no shame in getting beat in the clinch by the guy who's possibly the best in mma in that position. Obviously, dans wrestling is on a whole other level, but i think rich will fair better clinching with him than he did Anderson. I think rich has got better jits as well, according to gurgel hes black belt level but refuses to move up. I dunno if thats just to confuse opponents or what not but thats what gorge says. As a rich fan, im obviously going to be bias towards him, but i think if they fought dan would control him on the ground and get a UD, but rich is so well rounded i think he might beable to pull it out. Id much rather see him stay at 185 and fight dan than move up at this point.

Post #20   2/17/08 7:43:42PM   

loonytnt

MMA Sensei

loonytnt Avatar

Career:299-241
Camp: Diaz Fan Club
Chips:
rich did fight ken at 205 so i dont think 205 would be a bad thing, but i dont think just because he cant beat 1 guy at 185 he would move up, i would not mind seein dan vs rich

Post #21   2/17/08 11:51:33PM   

Mayhem13

MMA Sensei

Mayhem13 Avatar

Career:2,114-1,253
Camp: Team Sakara Eye Punch
Chips:
I dont know...but I think he should fight the winner of Leben vs Sakara at 185

Post #22   2/17/08 11:51:38PM   

ac_gi

Standup Guy

ac_gi Avatar

Career:1,663-1,009
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:

Posted by Mayhem13

That would make for an interesting fight.

Post #23   2/18/08 1:23:17AM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:
IMO he would get killed at 205. His biggest asset at 185 is his huge body that is ten times bigger then most MW's. He has a weak chin IMO not just because Anderson KO'd like 5 times in the 2nd fight but because even Tanner dropped him.

205 has much better strikers and he would be getting KTFO by people like Houston, Irvin, Cane, and shoot, even Soko would probably KO him. He was good at 185 because he overpowered people. He can't do that anymore at 205 so I don't think it's such a great move.

Post #24   2/18/08 2:33:30AM   

cj_striker

MMA Regular

cj_striker Avatar

Career:341-252
Camp: Crucible Fighting Systems
Chips:
Franklin's best move is to stay at 185 IMO, Hendo would be a much better opponent for him. Even though Hendo wrestling is obviously much better and he may have a little more power in his hands, I completely agree with someone said earlier about his striking techinque (movement and angles are a lot more important than some people realize), clinch, and jiu-jitsu are better than Hendos. I love both these guys! I personally feel Hendo will beat Silva, Franklin will go on a rampage if he stays healthy and destroy his next two or three opponents if it takes that many to get a title shot. If he loses then to the champ or if he has to fight Silva to get a title shot and loses then I'd have to say he's pretty much done (at least with becoming champ again). Franklin is one of if not they most intelligent fighters in MMA and has massive heart and skill, he just ran into a bad style matchup with Silva, that's it. Mark my words Rich will get back to the title shot, but it's up to him to do something with it.

Post #25   2/18/08 9:54:02AM   

SicJits

MMA Regular

SicJits Avatar

Career:763-428
Camp: FiveKnucklesCrew
Chips:

Posted by NatedawgThaM

IMO he would get killed at 205. His biggest asset at 185 is his huge body that is ten times bigger then most MW's. He has a weak chin IMO not just because Anderson KO'd like 5 times in the 2nd fight but because even Tanner dropped him.

205 has much better strikers and he would be getting KTFO by people like Houston, Irvin, Cane, and shoot, even Soko would probably KO him. He was good at 185 because he overpowered people. He can't do that anymore at 205 so I don't think it's such a great move.

When I meet him he has got to be the biggest mw walking around. He had to be about 215-230 at the time, that's a huge cut to 85, but his strength at mw is one of his biggest advantages

Post #26   2/18/08 9:59:52AM   

disturbed_fighter

MMA Regular

Career:166-106
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
i think he would match up well against machida

Post #27   2/18/08 10:19:23AM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,782-1,038
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Mayhem13

Probably be a quick finish, ending in a submission for Ace.

Also, i think Franklin would defeat people like Alexander, Irvin at 205 (not saying he should move up though as he would have bother with the title contenders like Chuck, Wand, etc...)

Post #28   2/19/08 1:49:33AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,841-1,016
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by MMAcca

Posted by Mayhem13

Probably be a quick finish, ending in a submission for Ace.

Also, i think Franklin would defeat people like Alexander, Irvin at 205 (not saying he should move up though as he would have bother with the title contenders like Chuck, Wand, etc...)

Alexander and Irvin arent even top 20 though, of course he'd beat that calibre of fighter.

But what about the Wilson Gouveia's, The Babalu's, The Rashads, the Arona's, etc...

Post #29   2/19/08 1:52:21AM   

tepid55

MMA Sensei

tepid55 Avatar

Career:2,795-1,540
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
I would like to see him fight Lyoto Machida and try to avenge his only loss at 205.

Post #30   2/19/08 11:58:59AM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3