Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Kimbo's Ranking

Print  
Could Kimbo be considered a top 10 HW as long as he is in Elite
Yes 6 10%
No 33 55%
After 5 straight 1st round KOs, yea 13 22%
I hate Don King 2 3%
I hope Kimbo fights Don King next 6 10%
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Pitbull09

MMA Sensei

Pitbull09 Avatar

Career:288-147
Chips:
First off, I apoligize for making a Kimbo topic since there are already 3-4 on right now but I thought this should be brought up.
With many people saying Kimbo is unstoppable or a world class fight, I have to ask "does anyone see Kimbo breaking the top 10 HW's while staying in Elite?"
I understand he may be good but I really cant see him being considered one of the best until he goes against a fighter in UFC and/or M-1. Tank Abbott imo really didnt help him either than just showing he is a better brawler which I expected.

So give me your opinion.

Post #1   2/17/08 1:04:12AM   

bullettdodger

BANNED

bullettdodger Avatar

Career:332-207
Chips:
He needs to move up to the UFC if he wants to be considered top ten in my opinion

Post #2   2/17/08 1:07:25AM   

npayant

I've gained some weight...

npayant Avatar

Career:1,859-934
Chips:
I voted "no"

But I would have voted for an option like:

"Yes, after he beats a few top contenders"

Post #3   2/17/08 1:08:36AM   

KeNn

Standup Guy

KeNn Avatar

Career:93-76
Chips:
lol if you read my posts I'm a huge Kimbo fan.

I didn't however vote yes, BECAUSE he is fighting cans.

I say throw him a bone, and see if he'll take it for what it's worth.

I say if he ever goes to the UFC Sylvia, this may be a couple years and might have his purple belt in jj if he trains, so I think it would be a entertaining fight if him and sylvia banged it out. Chances are Tim would get dropped, so he'd have another game plan he's a fairly smart fighter...As he should be lol.

Post #4   2/17/08 2:17:28AM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
I think he's a big strong guy, I'd like to see him and Ricco and then him and Bigfoot, I don't think you need to be in the UFC to be a top 10, and I think there are just as many(if not more) great HW's outstide the UFC as their are inside.

Post #5   2/17/08 2:45:55AM   

hails

MMA Regular

hails Avatar

Career:400-274
Camp: Team Bushido
Chips:
I voted no.

There is not enough depth in EXC.

How many fights does he have left on his contract in EXC?

He needs to move on asap considering he is 34.

Time is against him!!

Holler.

Post #6   2/17/08 4:36:52AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
If he were to run through Ricco and Bigfoot in 1st or 2nd round finishes with the fight actually hitting the ground and being pushed against the fence for a few minutes I would say he could eek into #10 on the top 10. That's provided within those 1st or 2nd rounds he shows some solid takedown defense, takes a good shot and shrugs it off, and shows a halfway decent ground game. Mostly this is due to the fact that IMO the HW world is so screwed up right now that you've got no other choice.

Let's face it, it's screwed up- some people are ranking Kongo in the top 10.

Post #7   2/17/08 5:41:55AM   

Mastodon2

MMA Sensei

Mastodon2 Avatar

Career:188-114
Chips:
If he beat Ricco and Bigfoot then he deserves a top 10 spot. That said, the way things are going with the UFC HW division at the moment, being in the UFC won't be the whole game when it comes to being a top 10 HW anymore.

Post #8   2/17/08 7:12:02AM   

fullerene

MMA Sensei

fullerene Avatar

Career:1,479-905
Camp: War Room Warriors
Chips:
Echoing what others have said, the genral rule is that to be in the top 10 you have to beat someone else who's in the top 10 or at least a few guys in the top 20. They have one guy (Silva) who is borderline top 10 (makes it IMO) and they seem to be signing guys like Ricco (who impressed) and Thompson (who didn't) who are also name fighters. If he runs through Silva and some others he'd probably be a top 10 fighter. But by the time he's ready to do so he'll either have been exposed or have come to the end of his contract. Not many guys make it to the top 10 in 5-6 fights.

Post #9   2/17/08 7:17:49AM   

dstlvb

MMA Regular

dstlvb Avatar

Career:373-248
Chips:
they need to match him against they guy that Thompson fought his name escapes me right know. Looks to be a good fight.

Post #10   2/17/08 9:33:24AM   

Taylor8766

Belt Contender

Taylor8766 Avatar

Career:740-512
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:
I voted no, because right now he's not fighting anyone even cose to top 20 HW's, I personally think that his next fight is going to be with Ricco, beccause Ricco has said some stuff about Kimbo and I would love to see Ricco destroy him.

Post #11   2/17/08 10:51:10AM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
*sigh* If there's one thing I dislike about the MMA community is its insufferable ability to jump onto a bandwagon WAY too easily. Kimbo doesn't even rank right now, and shouldn't be ranked. He has beaten a washed up boxer in a match that wasn't even regulated as an official bout, he beat a guy that took a fall, and last night he beat a 43 year old whose best days are long gone.

Does Kimbo have a future? Of course he does. The man doesn't fear his opponents and seems to always bring it. With that said, he has to earn his way into the rankings just like everyone else. He could beat both Ricco AND Silva and he wouldn't be top 10 if you ask me. He needs to beat a ranked fighter to be considered one.

Post #12   2/17/08 11:18:13AM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:
I said yes, screw Top ten, this man can be CHAMP!!!

He is very underrated, he has a solid rock chin and excellent boxing. He gets thrown in the "brawler" category because of his street fights on YouTube but did you see how he beat Tank? He picked him apart with great boxing. He used head movement and hit him with solid straights.

Once Bas gets him some BJJ defense he can be a beast.

Post #13   2/17/08 11:49:45AM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:
Ray Mercer was a spectacle- old
Bo Cantrel was a joke- D class
Tank was a spectacle and a joke- old and D class

Remember that despite all the hype- these were his opponents, these were the people he blew away. These guys had rocking chairs

Elite XC did what was smart, they didn't get a bunch of big names to fight for them, they invested in spectacle, they invested in B and C fighters who were very aggressive and exiting that would cost them minimal money with maximum shows.

Kimbo is being brought along very slowly. If he demolishes Ken shamrock- another old D class fighter would it really be that big of a shock?

Post #14   2/17/08 12:24:04PM   

iwannabesedated

banned

iwannabesedated Avatar

Career:575-327
Chips:

Posted by KeNn

lol if you read my posts I'm a huge Kimbo fan.

I didn't however vote yes, BECAUSE he is fighting cans.

I say throw him a bone, and see if he'll take it for what it's worth.

I say if he ever goes to the UFC Sylvia, this may be a couple years and might have his purple belt in jj if he trains, so I think it would be a entertaining fight if him and sylvia banged it out. Chances are Tim would get dropped, so he'd have another game plan he's a fairly smart fighter...As he should be lol.

Sylvia would destroy Kimbo.Much like any top 20 HW in the world.I'd even bet that top ten LHW's would beat him.Lets see what would happen if he fights a good technical striker and not someone like tank and who just comes in and throws and matches well to Kimbos style.and OMG he trains with Bas Rutten yeah ok just because Kimbo trains with Bas Rutten does not make him Bas Rutten.Sure it will help him develop more skills but still i doubt that Kimbo will ever be a top ten fighter at HW.He maybe a top ten in EXC but if they would bring in someone like Brad Imes to fight and see Imes Gogo Kimbo that would be great.

Post #15   2/17/08 4:58:17PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2