Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Who should Mir fight next?

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,842-1,052
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Mir kneebarred an opponent who had 1 fight in his career. I don't think he should be even sniffing at a top match up yet. I'd say throw him against someone who has been down a bit lately. GG would be a good fight for both fighters at this point. I could see Mir getting the loser of Herring/Kongo, but not the winner. A rematch with Vera might be good for Mir, but what is the point of it for Vera? Mir has to be at least two fights away from a shot at the title. He needs to beat a proven commodity before he gets a potential #1 contender match.

Post #16   2/16/08 2:59:43PM   

Rabi

Heavyweight Champ

Rabi Avatar

Career:1,871-1,103
Camp: MMA Worldwide
Chips:

Against Herring I just can't see Mir taking it. Herring has been in the ring/cage with Nog way too many times without getting caught in a slick submission

Nog submitted Herring in there first match with an Anaconda choke.

Post #17   2/16/08 3:08:21PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by Rabi

Against Herring I just can't see Mir taking it. Herring has been in the ring/cage with Nog way too many times without getting caught in a slick submission

I realize that, but that's 1/3 times. IMO Nog's submissions are a level above Mir's

Post #18   2/16/08 4:04:12PM   

Bowen50

The Talent

Bowen50 Avatar

Career:1,098-650
Chips:
Sylvia

Post #19   2/16/08 4:11:25PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by Rabi

I realize that, but that's 1/3 times. IMO Nog's submissions are a level above Mir's

well i just want to say to rabi that it was actually in their second match that big nog won by anaconda choke, their first and last fight were decisions.

i 100% agree with Jakelope here that big nog's BJJ game in terms of how well it translates into MMA usage is one step above mir, and every one else in the sport. herring has always had great submission defense and has only been submitted once really. the other submission loss he has was in his second fight against evan tanner where he verbally submitted from exhaustion. i can't see mir submitting herring from any angle, and his win against lesnar doesn't give me more confidence in his JJ whatsoever. he still needs to prove that his JJ is at the level it was when he was champion, and to me he still hasn't proven it yet. i see herring beating mir, i see him beating kongo in two weeks and i can see him facing o'brien and avenging his loss. the only people i can't see him beating are fedor, CC and of course big nog. in order to convince me that mir could submit herring he has to submit someone like big tim again or i won't buy it.

Post #20   2/16/08 4:15:44PM   

tuvok500

GSP will Comeback JUMP !!!

tuvok500 Avatar

Career:1,961-999
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
I think Mir should face Kongo after his win over Herring !!

Herring should face Vera to determine who is the # 10 in the HW division.

I don't see herring as good as some peoples are thinking, i think Kongo will dismantle him in 2 weeks and after his win he will be submit like a kid against Mir in some months!!

Last edited 2/16/08 4:29PM server time by tuvok500
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #21   2/16/08 4:28:57PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:
Herring isn't that impressive in any particular fashion besides maybe his wrestling and his defensive abilities. I see what you mean Tuvok, but Kongo going against a guy who has been in with the level of competition that Herring has, and Herring not being afraid in the least to stand up and brawl leads to disaster for Kongo IMO.

I am not really sure that the Texas Crazy Horse will be able to finish Kongo, but I see a relatively boring takedown game for 3 rounds. Once it's on the ground I can't see Kongo having any kind of an answer for Herring. On the feet I wouldn't even be surprised to see a punch come straight down the middle classic boxing style knocking Kongo out. The way he keeps his elbows out while striking is just SO sloppy that I want to get in there and throw one down his pipe myself. Although I'm sure he'd whoop my ass, I think I might be able to land a stiff jab on him haha

Post #22   2/16/08 7:02:45PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by Rabi

well i just want to say to rabi that it was actually in their second match that big nog won by anaconda choke, their first and last fight were decisions.

i 100% agree with Jakelope here that big nog's BJJ game in terms of how well it translates into MMA usage is one step above mir, and every one else in the sport. herring has always had great submission defense and has only been submitted once really. the other submission loss he has was in his second fight against evan tanner where he verbally submitted from exhaustion. i can't see mir submitting herring from any angle, and his win against lesnar doesn't give me more confidence in his JJ whatsoever. he still needs to prove that his JJ is at the level it was when he was champion, and to me he still hasn't proven it yet. i see herring beating mir, i see him beating kongo in two weeks and i can see him facing o'brien and avenging his loss. the only people i can't see him beating are fedor, CC and of course big nog. in order to convince me that mir could submit herring he has to submit someone like big tim again or i won't buy it.

Was gonna give props, but I gotta spread the love man

Post #23   2/16/08 7:03:40PM   

gcraig22

MMA Regular

gcraig22 Avatar

Career:617-408
Chips:
Mir should fight Gonzaga, then Kongo. Mir has a better stand-up than Gonzaga, and a better ground game than Kongo.

As for Herring, he should get a rematch versus O'Brian.

Post #24   2/16/08 9:06:07PM   

hails

MMA Regular

hails Avatar

Career:400-274
Camp: Team Bushido
Chips:
I really would like to see

tim vs brock
mir vs GG same card imo

or even better still sign up AA and let AA fight Mir, we will see how good Mir is.

I think Mir is not as good as everyone is claiming he is!!!

I think that the UFC would be so crazy to feed Lesnar to Tim as Tim will be a huge match up for him,

Lesnar should get Soa P. or another can like Eddie s.

Post #25   2/16/08 11:35:20PM   

aolverizon

Learning to Sprawl

Career:368-201
Chips:
I think either a rematch with Sylvia or the winner of the Herring/Kongo fight. I think fighting Sanchez is taking a step down, i mean Lesnar isnt top of the food chain, but Mir has won his last couple fights and i would like to see him fight someone a little higher up then Eddie.

Post #26   2/18/08 3:12:53AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:
You know.. I'm sitting here thinking about it and Mir vs. GG actually sort of makes sense. We haven't really seen Mir go up against a grade A submission guy yet, but we've seen him go up against guys with pretty decent standup. He beat Tim Sylvia back in the day, lost to Vera, and subbed Hardonk quick. 2/3 on strikers, but what about BJJ guys?

Gonzaga is well rounded enough to give a good test on all levels, so my thoughts now are that this match up makes a lot of sense.

Post #27   2/18/08 3:47:44AM   

disturbed_fighter

MMA Regular

Career:166-106
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
the winner of kongo and herring

Post #28   2/18/08 9:26:46AM   

MikeBillotto

Banned

Career:120-79
Chips:
it either should be vera or should be GG because those are the top heavyweights besides big nog and arlovski.. so if mir beats vera then fights arlovski then he gets a title shot in my opinion

Post #29   2/19/08 12:16:05AM   

snakeman88

American Top Team

Career:688-329
Chips:
I think Gonzaga/Mir makes a lot of sense

Post #30   2/19/08 12:40:20PM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3