Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Any fans of Dawkins, Hitches, Dennett, Harris?

Print  
Posted By Message

mrblonde55

Learning to Sprawl

mrblonde55 Avatar

Career:2,578-1,588
Camp: The Fatherless Bastards
Chips:
Have you watched the Four Horsemen discussion yet? What are your thoughts? These men are my idols. Heres a link to the first hour of the discussion. Watch it if you have time... expand your mind a little bit!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-869630813464694890&q=the+four+horsemen+dawkins&total=37&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

Post #1   2/15/08 12:03:04PM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:
Watching it now. I'm very interested in their perspectives, and while I haven't read their books yet, I intend to.

Post #2   2/15/08 1:18:47PM   

rabbit915

In Full Mount

rabbit915 Avatar

Career:2,011-1,129
Chips:
Ive been reading a lot of Dawkins for school and i agree with most of his writing i just cant stand how he is constantly throwing his atheism in your face during interviews. He's like an evangelical atheist.

Post #3   2/15/08 1:42:52PM   

TNunley

Belt Contender

TNunley Avatar

Career:120-77
Camp: Team Arse Kickers
Chips:
This guy reminds me of a little kid that got his feelings hurt, so he wants to try and make everyone else suffer.

Seriously, in this day and age what is the point of trying to disprove the existence of God?

Post #4   2/15/08 2:41:08PM   

mrblonde55

Learning to Sprawl

mrblonde55 Avatar

Career:2,578-1,588
Camp: The Fatherless Bastards
Chips:

Posted by rabbit915

Ive been reading a lot of Dawkins for school and i agree with most of his writing i just cant stand how he is constantly throwing his atheism in your face during interviews. He's like an evangelical atheist.

Yeah he is criticized quite a lot in the public sphere for his in-your-face attitude. I love Dawkins' work but I usually tend to read Harris' work more. I think more people can relate to him as he doesn't come off in an elitist way when he is debating or writing.

Post #5   2/15/08 4:04:18PM   

Copenhagen

Good for Body and Soul

Copenhagen Avatar

Career:1,038-575
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by TNunley

This guy reminds me of a little kid that got his feelings hurt, so he wants to try and make everyone else suffer.

Seriously, in this day and age what is the point of trying to disprove the existence of God?

The same point in church's trying to prove the existence of God.

Post #6   2/15/08 5:54:42PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
It's probably too late to avoid another religious discussion, but to comment on the above statement, I don't think religions try to prove the existence of God. They accept and believe in God's existence. From what I understand, at least regarding Christianity, to God is omnipotent and therefore, to be able to "understand" the existence of God means that you must therefore be God like and that is not possible.

I don't care for Dawkins' work. I agree he comes off as some angry person that just wants to shoot something down. His approach is pretty arrogant and egotistical if you ask me. Kind of reminds me of Michael Moore.

Last edited 2/15/08 6:49PM server time by Rush
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #7   2/15/08 6:47:18PM   

Copenhagen

Good for Body and Soul

Copenhagen Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Rush

It's probably too late to avoid another religious discussion, but to comment on the above statement, I don't think religions try to prove the existence of God. They accept and believe in God's existence. From what I understand, at least regarding Christianity, to God is omnipotent and therefore, to be able to "understand" the existence of God means that you must therefore be God like and that is not possible.

I don't care for Dawkins' work. I agree he comes off as some angry person that just wants to shoot something down. His approach is pretty arrogant and egotistical if you ask me. Kind of reminds me of Michael Moore.

You must have never had a Jehovah witness knock on your door.

Post #8   2/15/08 6:52:21PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Copenhagen

I know a couple, but they have never talked about it in front of me. I've never had one knock at the door (I live in an apt.) and will admit that I don't know much about the JW belief system.

Specifically what do they say or do that makes you think they try to prove God is real?

Post #9   2/15/08 8:39:17PM   

Copenhagen

Good for Body and Soul

Copenhagen Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Rush

Posted by Copenhagen

I know a couple, but they have never talked about it in front of me. I've never had one knock at the door (I live in an apt.) and will admit that I don't know much about the JW belief system.

Specifically what do they say or do that makes you think they try to prove God is real?

I've had them knock on my door and ask "Do you know who Jesus is?" If you answer "no" then they insist you let them into your house so that they can talk to you about (convince you of their religion).

Anyway I didn't mean to get into a JW discussion. I was just stating that just as atheists try to convert people, so do religions.

Post #10   2/15/08 8:56:04PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Copenhagen

Anyway I didn't mean to get into a JW discussion. I was just stating that just as atheists try to convert people, so do religions.

That's fair and I agree. I just don't agree that religious people try to prove God is real. The only people that TRY to prove that God exists or doesn't exist are scientists, because that is their nature.

Post #11   2/15/08 9:12:52PM   

We_Todd_Did

Standup Guy

We_Todd_Did Avatar

Career:205-129
Chips:
Exactly.The very credo of religious faith is that you don't need "proof" to believe.
Which, not so ironically, is why I'm one of a bazillion ex-Catholics.

Post #12   2/17/08 7:14:49PM   

TNunley

Belt Contender

TNunley Avatar

Career:120-77
Camp: Team Arse Kickers
Chips:

Posted by Copenhagen

I have, and I have spent time listening to what they have had to say... and refuting their beliefs. Their beliefs are not that of God, their beliefs are that of "Jehovah" which is actually a name for Satan used by a masonic cult (the same cult the founder of JW religion was in when he started the Jehovah's witness religion). If you're a Jehovah's witness (not you Copehnagen, I'm speaking in general) sorry if you're offended.

So technically that is not the same thing that you are speaking of, and I am against all Jehovah's Witnesses spreading their beliefs onto others sugar coating it enough to believe that you are following the teachings of God.

My point of what I said was that I have absolutely no problem with atheists. Do I share the same beliefs as them? No. What I do have a problem with are those who use words such as "illusion" or "childish" when attempting to disprove a person's belief in God.

Not that I've ever searched, but I doubt there are many books written by someone who truly believes in God saying atheists are childish and their beliefs are merely illusions.

Last edited 2/19/08 3:49PM server time by TNunley
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #13   2/19/08 3:48:23PM