Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Matt Lindland: UFC Won't Offer Me A Deal

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Perennial top-ranked Middleweight Matt Lindland is getting ready to sign a new contract with an organization, but it won't be with UFC. Lindland said Dana White won't make him an offer, and in a perhaps insulting move Lindland said it was UFC matchmaker Joe Silva, not Dana, who passed along the news to him.

Article

Post #1   2/15/08 9:15:48AM   

Rich78

MMA Regular

Rich78 Avatar

Career:148-108
Chips:
Unsurprising considering the history of him and Dana.

I'm not a fan of Lindland, and personally don't care if he comes to the UFC or not, but for Dana to harp on about having the best fighters in the world, when one of them is available and asks you to make him an offer, good business sense would have led to him being made an offer. If nothing else but to preclude him from ending up at a rival organisation such as Dream.

He is letting personal opinions cloud what is good for the UFC. But he is the man in charge, so can do whatever he likes at the end of the day.

Post #2   2/15/08 9:31:34AM   

silverbullet

Shrimpin' ain't easy

Career:144-82
Chips:
I'd love to see Matt in the UFC, this sucks if it's true

Post #3   2/15/08 10:08:29AM   

stock

Banned

Career:409-235
Chips:
I think Dana just knows that Lindland would not be happy with any offer he would offer him. There is horrible history with him in the UFC and Lindland was alway playing games.
Dana was very lenient with him in the past allowing him to fight with other organizations, but just got burned too many times.
He signed a 3 fight deal in mid 2004, and then after losing his first fight to David Terrel he jumps ship to fight in Cage Rage and Sportsfight.
Then Dana takes him back again with open arms to another 3 fight deal in April of 2005. Lindland wins 2 fights and then jumps ship AGAIN (blatently violating an endorsement clause in his signed contract), going to fight for multiple different organizations. Not to mention ridiculing Dana constantly while in the IFL.

I think Dana just knows that Lindland will not honor a contract even if he does sign him and probably doesn't want another Couture fiasco right now. Plus, with the introduction of Bisping, Hendu, Cote, and Tanner to MW, not to mention Santiago and Rivera looking good lately, they don't really need that right now.

I really think Dana is smarter than just letting his personal opinions of the guy get in the way. His ultimate goal is to make the most money.
Dana cannot stand Tito (and hasn't for some time), but he still knows that Tito is a money maker so continues to give him big fights.
For all the things Tito has done, at least he has always honored his contract. I think that is all Dana wants.

Last edited 2/15/08 1:36PM server time by stock
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   2/15/08 10:35:29AM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Career:1,480-1,168
Camp: The Puddle
Chips:

Posted by stock

I think Dana just knows that Lindland would not be happy with any offer he would offer him. There is horrible history with him in the UFC and Lindland was alway playing games.
Dana was very lenient with him in the past allowing him to fight with other organizations, but just got burned too many times.
He signed a 3 fight deal in mid 2004, and then after losing his first fight to David Terrel he jumps ship to fight in Cage Rage and Sportsfight.
Then Dana takes him back again with open arms to another 3 fight deal in April of 2005. Lindland wins 2 fights and then jumps ship AGAIN, going to fight for multiple different organizations. Not to mention ridiculing Dana constantly while in the IFL.

I think Dana just knows that Lindland will not honor a contract even if he does sign him and probably doesn't want another Couture fiasco right now. Plus, with the introduction of Bisping, Hendu, Cote, and Tanner to MW, not to mention Santiago and Rivera looking good lately, they don't really need that right now.

I really think Dana is smarter than just letting his personal opinions of the guy get in the way. His ultimate goal is to make the most money.
Dana cannot stand Tito (and hasn't for some time), but he still knows that Tito is a money maker so continues to give him big fights.
For all the things Tito has done, at least he has always honored his contract. I think that is all Dana wants.

When I was reading this article I was thinking of something to write about this situation and then after reading your comments I realized I didn't have to.

I would just like to reiterate that even though Lindland said make me an offer. He was really saying offer me a lot so that I can turn you down and tell everybody that the UFC is a joke.

Lindland doesn't want to come back he is playing games again.

Last edited 2/15/08 11:32AM server time by Darnok
Edit note/reason: Typo

Post #5   2/15/08 11:31:22AM   

roman

Standup Guy

roman Avatar

Career:679-391
Chips:

Posted by stock

Then Dana takes him back again with open arms to another 3 fight deal in April of 2005. Lindland wins 2 fights and then jumps ship AGAIN (blatently violating an endorsement clause in his signed contract), going to fight for multiple different organizations. Not to mention ridiculing Dana constantly while in the IFL.

Is that what the UFC told you???????

The middleweights are not looking strong. Only three top dogs and two of them are fighting in two weeks, what happens after that? Tito is a money maker because he's a big name guy. I personally couldn't care less about that. I want the top fighters fighting in the UFC not fighters who people can't stop ridin nuts on. Whats your and the UFC's excuse for Barnett. Come on man. OPEN YOUR EYES!!!!!!! Dana makes business personal, it works but It's shitty business. Kind of like the scum at Enron (well maybe not Enron but they are all I could think of).

Post #6   2/15/08 2:31:06PM   

tuvok500

GSP will Comeback JUMP !!!

tuvok500 Avatar

Career:2,009-1,021
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:

Posted by stock

Lindland have only himself to blame here !!

Go Dana !!

Post #7   2/15/08 3:36:42PM   

stock

Banned

Career:409-235
Chips:

Posted by roman

Posted by stock

Is that what the UFC told you???????

The middleweights are not looking strong. Only three top dogs and two of them are fighting in two weeks, what happens after that? Tito is a money maker because he's a big name guy. I personally couldn't care less about that. I want the top fighters fighting in the UFC not fighters who people can't stop ridin nuts on. Whats your and the UFC's excuse for Barnett. Come on man. OPEN YOUR EYES!!!!!!! Dana makes business personal, it works but It's shitty business. Kind of like the scum at Enron (well maybe not Enron but they are all I could think of).

I just represent one man's opinion.
Everyone is so quick to always jump all over Dana, so am just offering another perspective. I only want guys in the UFC that really want to be there for the long hall. I don't want a guy that is going to come in for a couple of fights and then decide to jump. And given his track record, you have to admit it would be a gamble.
I would like to see Lindland fight some of the UFC top guys as well, but I completely understand why this is not a good relationship too.

Post #8   2/15/08 3:38:34PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,376-760
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by stock

Post #9   2/15/08 4:26:11PM   

bayonetxwork

In Full Mount

bayonetxwork Avatar

Career:114-60
Camp: TUFFS Fight Club
Chips:
Sounds pretty Dana-like. Dana is being ridiculous now though. Lindland is obviously one of the only guys that would have a good matchup against Silva, and he constantly lets personal matters get in the way.

Post #10   2/15/08 5:23:25PM   

Greene33

MMA Regular

Greene33 Avatar

Career:590-391
Chips:
I hope Lindland goes to Elite XC to fight Frank or Cung Le, he will never fight in the UFC again so this the next best thing.

Last edited 2/15/08 8:00PM server time by Greene33
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #11   2/15/08 7:59:39PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by Greene33

I hope Lindland goes to Elite XC to fight Frank or Cung Le, he will never fight in the UFC again so this the next best thing.

I hope he joins Dream. I'd love to see him in their MW GP that's coming up.

Post #12   2/15/08 8:02:13PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,878-1,047
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

Posted by Greene33

Oh my goodness,

Lindland
Kang
Akiyama
Misaki

Is it 4 or 8-man?

Post #13   2/15/08 8:08:20PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

Posted by cmill21

Posted by Greene33

Oh my goodness,

Lindland
Kang
Akiyama
Misaki

Is it 4 or 8-man?

Manhoef
Dong sik yoon
Sakuraba
and who know maybe the WEC will send Filho...

Post #14   2/15/08 8:10:35PM   

BlazinSaddle

Banned

Career:67-34
Chips:
if lindland really wanted to fight anderson silva or rich franklin or dan henderson, he'd be fighting them but hes not so.....

Post #15   2/15/08 11:03:42PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2