Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

CRO COP TO K-1!!!

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:
Link

As reported yesterday, Mirko Cro Cop is going to be in Japan today at a press conference to make an announcement regarding his future. What we didn’t know was what the announcement was going to be, but now Dave Meltzer from the Wrestling Observer is reporting that Cro Cop is going to be at a press conference that’ll be held by FEG. The Fighting Entertainment Group (FEG) actually owns K-1 and its sub-division HERO’s. FEG was going to hold a press conference today prior to the Cro Cop announcement but now it only makes sense that he would be in Japan today.

A translation of K-1 HERO’s official website says, “big-time athletes are scheduled to fight in an emergency visit to Japan” and by “fight” we assume that it actually means appear at the press conference.

I’m sure you’re all wondering “isn’t Mirko Cro Cop under contract with the UFC?” The simple answer is yes, but Meltzer is reporting that the UFC has been in the process of attempting to restructure Mirko’s contract which would force him to take a paycut. Obviously nobody would willingly give up money so it looks like the UFC may let the former PRIDE open weight Grand Prix champion out of his six-fight deal after only three fights.

We’ll have more details on this situation as we get it, but for now it looks like the next Mirko Cro Cop fight we’ll see will be in a ring and not a cage.

Post #1   2/13/08 5:55:49AM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Chips:
IMO This is good for Cro Cop as a fighter. A ring fits hs style perfectly and it's what he's been calling home his whole career and that's were all of his quality wins and highlight KO's lay. He can definitely go back to the old self now and I expect to be seeing some more highlight KO head kicks in the future!!!

BUT!!!

IMO This is BAD for his legacy or his reputation. Now Dana White, all the American UFC fighters, the UFC Heavyweight division, and all the UFC fans will start calling him a nobody and a bust. There going to start saying all of his wins were against bums in Japan on Steroids and when he does start doing good, it means squat because he couldn't beat the big boys.

I will always be a Cro Cop fan, and hope and am sure he will do well in Japan. Just sad to see his reputation about to get killed by this, at least his american reputation, not that it matters

Post #2   2/13/08 6:01:49AM   

BlazinSaddle

Banned

Career:67-34
Chips:
heres another link of him joining the collaborative of FEG (K-1) and DSE Staff (Pride) being called DREAM

Linkage

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Last edited 2/13/08 6:13AM server time by blazinsaddle
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   2/13/08 6:13:03AM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Chips:

Kid and Caol look like teenagers who want his autograph

Post #4   2/13/08 6:22:51AM   

BlazinSaddle

Banned

Career:67-34
Chips:

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Kid and Caol look like teenagers who want his autograph

lol kid looks like he wants to elbow caol, "stop touching my arm!"

Post #5   2/13/08 6:30:21AM   

CornishMMA

BANNED

CornishMMA Avatar

Career:497-280
Chips:
yeah thats look well funny

This is seriously no surprise, you just knew Dana and the Fertitas were HATING the fact they would have to pay him $250,000 per fight when he wont even be able to be a contender by then - and then need a contract extension!

Would of been good to see him fight in the UFC a few more times and actually get a legit win, would of been nice to see a CC headkick in the UFC but im not overly bothered by this tbh, he is past his prime

Post #6   2/13/08 6:32:09AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by NatedawgThaM

IMO This is good for Cro Cop as a fighter. A ring fits hs style perfectly and it's what he's been calling home his whole career and that's were all of his quality wins and highlight KO's lay. He can definitely go back to the old self now and I expect to be seeing some more highlight KO head kicks in the future!!!

BUT!!!

IMO This is BAD for his legacy or his reputation. Now Dana White, all the American UFC fighters, the UFC Heavyweight division, and all the UFC fans will start calling him a nobody and a bust. There going to start saying all of his wins were against bums in Japan on Steroids and when he does start doing good, it means squat because he couldn't beat the big boys.

I will always be a Cro Cop fan, and hope and am sure he will do well in Japan. Just sad to see his reputation about to get killed by this, at least his american reputation, not that it matters

Im not sure the Roids and the level of compition in Japan aren't a factor. As you can tell by many of my posts I am both a fan of Pride and the UFC but something has to give with all these Pride guys losing. Maybe it is comfort but I think it has more to do with fighting in the US then fighting in the Cage. By no means is the Cage the place Kongo called home and he had no problems with Cro Cop.

Anyways I hope he is happy with his future and does well in K-1 and we get to see him knock someones head off soon! Good luck Cro Cop!

Post #7   2/13/08 7:46:33AM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:798-457
Chips:
Im suprised the ufc is letting him go tbh. Even as a mirko fan, i have to say this has slightly lowered my opinion of him, becouse it does look from the outside like hes leaving becouse he cant handle to competition. Like the ts said though, its a really good move for him personally, and id imagine he'll start picking up wins very soon once he moves back to japan.

The only thing thats gona bug me about it is i know soon as he starts picking up wins in this org, no matter who he beats, everybody will be saying the old cro cop is back... blah blah blah, when really hes just gone to an org which is set out to make it easier for him to win by putting him back in a ring ect.

Post #8   2/13/08 8:11:08AM   

Seiche

Learning to Sprawl

Seiche Avatar

Career:566-279
Chips:
I have to completely agree with Aaronno9. As soon as Mirko starts sending other fighters heads into the 12th row, we will all start hearing about how the old Cro Cop is back.

I got news for you, he never left.

His fighting style is almost completely dependent on cutting off the other fighters escape angles and then blasting them with those tree trunk legs of his. This was nearly impossible in the Octagon just because of it's size and design. Seriously, unless you see it in person, it's really hard to imagine just how big the Octagon actually is. A prefect example of this was the Kongo fight. For all his other faults, Kongo is excellent at creating and using angles. There was no "stop-short" on Kongo's part for Cro Cop to capatilize on.

Regardless, it's fantastic he didn't hang up the gloves and we all still have the opportunity to see one of the greats in action.

Post #9   2/13/08 8:26:07AM   

The_Grim_Reaper

MMA Regular

The_Grim_Reaper Avatar

Career:349-212
Camp: Soulless Ones
Chips:

Posted by CornishMMA

This is seriously no surprise, you just knew Dana and the Fertitas were HATING the fact they would have to pay him $250,000 per fight when he wont even be able to be a contender by then - and then need a contract extension!

Would of been good to see him fight in the UFC a few more times and actually get a legit win, would of been nice to see a CC headkick in the UFC but im not overly bothered by this tbh, he is past his prime

it was actually 350k a fight (an extreme amount i know), but could some one tell me if he's joining k-1's heroes or is he going to restart his kickboxing career where it left off, also if zuffa allows this, and lets mirko take this paycut does this mean he will still fight for ufc but for less money

Post #10   2/13/08 8:30:06AM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by The_Grim_Reaper

Posted by CornishMMA

it was actually 350k a fight (an extreme amount i know), but could some one tell me if he's joining k-1's heroes or is he going to restart his kickboxing career where it left off, also if zuffa allows this, and lets mirko take this paycut does this mean he will still fight for ufc but for less money

He's with Dream(K-1 hero's with DSE mixed in). As for Zuffa allowing this...they either cut him or he said you can't do anything to me.

Post #11   2/13/08 8:35:56AM   

silverbullet

Shrimpin' ain't easy

Career:144-82
Chips:
CC was great in the ring with Pride rules. UFC is the grappling-clinching country because of rule differences and octagon design. I don't think CC would ever be the champ in the UFC unless he learned some submissions and stopped looking at ground-game as a nuisance.

Post #12   2/13/08 10:09:16AM   

The_hungry_lumberjack

MMA Regular

The_hungry_lumberjack Avatar

Career:263-169
Camp: Purebred Fight Team
Chips:
Bah I've lost all interest in Cro Cop after this announcement. Ya, he's a kickboxer at heart, but I like watching MIXED martial arts not just striking. Frig and all he would have had to do was adjust his stratagy a little. What a waste of a potential champ.

Last edited 2/13/08 11:59AM server time by the_hungry_lumberjack
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #13   2/13/08 11:54:16AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,530-1,341
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
his reputation and legacy will be darnished a great fighter one of the best but couldn't make it in the ufc. sad to see him go, it is cro cop's fault he should have negociated and took a pay cut to stay at least i think he will kick but back in japan

Post #14   2/13/08 12:09:01PM   

xburbx

MMA Regular

xburbx Avatar

Career:645-394
Camp: rafrojas
Chips:
CroCop will fade away now. Too bad, he was a crowd favorite win or lose. Also think of the reverse side, if the UFC did pay him $250,000 for his next two fights. Everyone on here would be complaining about CroCop getting so much after losing his last two fights. People would moan and cry either way.

Post #15   2/13/08 12:19:51PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2