Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Tim Sylvia: Where There's Smoke, There's Fire

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

juanez13

P4P

juanez13 Avatar

Career:575-288
Chips:
In this week's print edition of The Wrestling Observer, Dave Meltzer reports that negotiations between Tim Sylvia and The UFC are not going so well. He says they are a "full digit apart" on numbers, which suggests that Tim really is delusional, and that we won't be seeing him for a while.

UFC really dodged a bullet with his loss to Nogueira. If he had won they would have had to pay him whatever they wanted or else they would have lost another heavyweight champion to contract issues.

LINK

Post #1   2/12/08 10:12:25PM   

silverbullet

Shrimpin' ain't easy

Career:144-82
Chips:
Tim would be so awesome in the UFC if not for the gay submissions!

Post #2   2/12/08 10:15:44PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
What is the UFC doing with their HW div? They might end up with Nog, Herring, Kongo, Mir and Lesnar as their top 5....

Post #3   2/12/08 10:18:58PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,573-1,315
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
UFC should only let fighters fight for the title with a semi-contract in place whereas if the fighter wins the belt, the tentative contract goes into place. If the fighter doesn't win the belt, it doesn't.

This would guarantee anyone winning the title is under contract, even if their existing contract has 0 or 1 fight remaining.

While also making sure they don't sign someone long term who doesn't put on a performance worthy of an extension.

This would also allow fighter such as AA to have fought for the title with only 1 fight remaining, as a win locks in the guaranteed portion and a loss sets the fighter free.

Sounds like it wouldn't be that hard to structure tentative contracts this way, based on the outcome of a title fight.

Post #4   2/12/08 10:41:34PM   

quezocrema0032

Belt Contender

quezocrema0032 Avatar

Career:2,007-1,070
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
how does sylvia lose a fight and get upset that he isnt getting payed more yea lesner shouldnt be making more then him and the ufc needs 2 fix that but bottom line is hes making more so accept it and be a man about it we cant keep having guys leaving over contracts !

Post #5   2/12/08 10:51:30PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:

Posted by Kpro

UFC should only let fighters fight for the title with a semi-contract in place whereas if the fighter wins the belt, the tentative contract goes into place. If the fighter doesn't win the belt, it doesn't.

This would guarantee anyone winning the title is under contract, even if their existing contract has 0 or 1 fight remaining.

While also making sure they don't sign someone long term who doesn't put on a performance worthy of an extension.

This would also allow fighter such as AA to have fought for the title with only 1 fight remaining, as a win locks in the guaranteed portion and a loss sets the fighter free.

Sounds like it wouldn't be that hard to structure tentative contracts this way, based on the outcome of a title fight.

Thats a awesome idea!

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #6   2/12/08 11:10:06PM   

jomatty

In Full Mount

jomatty Avatar

Career:137-79
Camp: bet the rent
Chips:
i dont like the idea too much. just seems to me like you would end up with the same issues they would just have to be handled earlier. i dont like anything that locks a fighter in, especially for a win. it is kinda like the fedor thing where he couldnt leave if he was undefeated. the guy just won the belt he should be able to renegotiate his contract.

and tim is crazy if he thinks he "deserves" more than lesnar. does he really think he is getting paid to fight? he is getting paid by a business to sell tickets and make money and like it or not, brock can sell a lot more tickets and ppv's, so why in the world wouldnt he get paid more for doing so. in a perfect world maybe fighters would get paid based on how well they fight but unless fight promoting becomes a non profit thing (lol) then that will never be how it is.

Post #7   2/13/08 2:44:20AM   

ocho-cinco

In Full Mount

ocho-cinco Avatar

Career:994-597
Camp: nelson top team
Chips:

Posted by silverbullet

Tim would be so awesome in the UFC if not for the gay submissions!

uhh.... are you, like, being sarcastic mann?

Post #8   2/13/08 4:15:10AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,910-1,061
Chips:
that must be 6 digits then, and they only want to pay him 5... they need to keep him... if kongo is in youre orgs top 5 then you need to shop for more fighters.

with arlovski, cro-cop, and couture not willing to fight for the amount they're being paid Sylvia is making a great financial move. Kicking them while they're down per-say. With so many fighters leaving at once, for the same reasons, the UFC cant target them all, its like what happened after the USSR broke up. Everybody left at once so that they could leave peacefully without being targeted by russia. The countries that waited before splitting got bombed.

Anybody that doesnt like what they are being paid should do what these guys are doing, if enough fighters do it a union will emerge and the UFC will have to settle or risk ppv sales.

VIVA EL REVOLUCION!!!!

Last edited 2/13/08 4:45AM server time by pookie
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #9   2/13/08 4:38:26AM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,411-771
Chips:
Timmy is asking for a cool Million. Thats a good . He is a good fighter but not worth that kind of money. I would like to see the company willing to do this because I can guarantee you that company will go under. I think this has a lot to do with his manager Monte Cox and the fact he is the CEO of M-1. Because of this huge conflict of interest Monte Cox is going to end up hurting his fighters, his company, and himself.

Last edited 2/13/08 5:21AM server time by telnights
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #10   2/13/08 5:16:45AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,910-1,061
Chips:

Posted by telnights

Timmy is asking for a cool Million. Thats a good . He is a good fighter but not worth that kind of money. I would like to see the company willing to do this because I can guarantee you that company will go under. I think this has a lot to do with his manager Monte Cox and the fact he is the CEO of M-1. Because of this huge conflict of interest Monte Cox is going to end up hurting his fighters, his company, and himself.

A million?

Im pretty sure hes asking for 6 digits and is being offered 5, theres no way he could ever think he'd be getting a million from any organization.

Post #11   2/13/08 5:24:56AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by telnights

I pretty sure if Monte starts offering eneryone Million dollar contracts you will see the UFC talent pool start to shrink quickly. I am not saying Tim wants or is worth a million but the UFC may want to start thinking about taking care of there best fighters.

Post #12   2/13/08 7:56:24AM   

Ordep

Go Falcons!

Ordep Avatar

Career:1,039-621
Camp: Beat Down System
Chips:

I always said it's all about money and benefits,[sarc.] yeah but you know the fighters really care to be in the UFC because of the name and the top competition and if you're offered ten bucks a and you dont take it that's a bad move for you [/sarc.]
So now wonder why they were talking about the next shot for Werdum

Post #13   2/13/08 9:03:19AM   

tuvok500

GSP will Comeback JUMP !!!

tuvok500 Avatar

Career:2,037-1,039
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
It's call negotiation guys !!

A fighter make demands and normally start very high and the company offer something normally much lower.

Sylvia is taking a chance and the UFC have not bitted, that's all.

Post #14   2/13/08 10:34:14AM   

AManCalledE

Learning to Sprawl

Career:562-353
Chips:
Since Timmay isn't happy that Lesnar is making more than him, then I think Tim and Brock should fight in a "Winner Makes More" match!

Post #15   2/13/08 11:30:17AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2