Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Dana to Cro Cop: Less money or you're sitting out

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Manfred

MMA Sensei

Manfred Avatar

Career:596-351
Chips:
Link (in Hrvatski)

Jist of the article as translated by someone else:

Mirko has been told that due to his poor performances in the UFC so far, the UFC is no longer willing to pay him the amount of his contract (signed when Mirko was at the high point of his career and was expected to be an immediate threat to the HW title).

He has been given the option of re-signing for a lesser amount per fight (didn't say how much), or sitting out the remaining year of his contract.

EDIT: The rumors floating around are that he's going back to K-1

Last edited 2/12/08 4:09PM server time by manfred
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #1   2/12/08 3:43:58PM   

EpicTerran

MMA Regular

EpicTerran Avatar

Career:658-391
Camp: Wolfpack Crew
Chips:
thats really gay , i DO understand where Dana is coming from but at the same time these contracts are bullshit , its like whats the point ? the UFC can reduce someones pay even though the contract guaranteed them something else , they can boot fighters whenever they want for any reason , they can keep fighters who dont even want to fight(Randy) , the contract must say in really small letters ( the UFC can do whatever the **** they want regardless of what this contract states), contracts are close to completely meaningless

Last edited 2/12/08 3:47PM server time by EpicTerran

Post #2   2/12/08 3:47:08PM   

KYGUY07

In Full Mount

KYGUY07 Avatar

Career:896-560
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:

Posted by EpicTerran

thats really gay , i DO understand where Dana is coming from but at the same time these contracts are bullshit , its like whats the point ? the UFC can reduce someones pay even though the contract guaranteed them something else , they can boot fighters whenever they want for any reason , they can keep fighters who dont even want to fight(Randy) , the contract must say in really small letters ( the UFC can do whatever the **** they want regardless of what this contract states), contracts are close to completely meaningless

yea i agree completely this is ridiculous the way the ufc can trea their fighters.

Post #3   2/12/08 3:51:42PM   

TNunley

Belt Contender

TNunley Avatar

Career:120-77
Camp: Team Arse Kickers
Chips:
I'm gonna take this with a grain of salt... until I find an actual english translated article from a reputable source.

Post #4   2/12/08 3:52:56PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,663-1,374
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Everything is in the contract that they sign.

Maybe a fighter should take responsibility for their signature, and take into account these things you speak of before inking the paper and taking the money.

Post #5   2/12/08 3:54:18PM   

brutalbones

MMA Regular

brutalbones Avatar

Career:1,424-945
Camp: UHF Supplies
Chips:
So the UFC can tell CroCop that he has to re-sign for a lower pay or he's out, but they won't let Randy re-sign OR get out. WTF!?!

Post #6   2/12/08 3:54:54PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,663-1,374
Chips:

Posted by brutalbones

So the UFC can tell CroCop that he has to re-sign for a lower pay or he's out, but they won't let Randy re-sign OR get out. WTF!?!

If both clauses are in each of their contracts then yes.

Don't ink paper if you don't know what you're signing.

Post #7   2/12/08 3:55:53PM   

Manfred

MMA Sensei

Manfred Avatar

Career:596-351
Chips:
The biggest objection I have is that they should just release him then. This making him sit on the sidelines for a year (If true) before he can fight for someone else is wrong.

Post #8   2/12/08 3:55:55PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,959-1,091
Chips:
This is why fedor didnt sign the contract.

It's such a bullshit move. Its like saying "Here are your options, we can pay you much less than we agreed on, or you not make any more money this year and let your family starve." He's lucky that he has a job in parliament, But what about the fighters that dont have other jobs? They cant fight elsewhere, can't do anything relating to media without the UFC's consent(and of course they're going to say no)
and cant even give interviews(without the UFC's consent) to speak out against it.
Such bullshit, especially considering he broke his rib in the last one, and almost every single fighter who has broke a rib midfight has lost the fight.

I BOO you UFC management team. BOOOOOOO

Post #9   2/12/08 3:57:29PM   

tuvok500

GSP will Comeback JUMP !!!

tuvok500 Avatar

Career:2,071-1,071
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
I think it is more that if CC want to have a new conrtract with the UFC he will not be pay as much as his previous contract.

The UFC will honor their signature for sure.

The key here is that the UFC can at any time release a fighter of his contract with them.

So, they can just release CC now and give CC the opportunity to go somewhere else or CC can accept a new deal with the UFC for less than his previous 350000$ per fight, witch is now ridiculous considering his real actual caliber !!

Any organization have a clause in their contract who give them the right at any time to release a fighter like that, so no big deal here.

Last edited 2/12/08 4:05PM server time by tuvok500
2 total post edits

Post #10   2/12/08 3:58:25PM   

EpicTerran

MMA Regular

EpicTerran Avatar

Career:658-391
Camp: Wolfpack Crew
Chips:
Ok maybe these contracts do state that the UFC can do this type of shit , then that seriously needs to change , because thats not fair at all to the fighters , everyone wants to make it big in the UFC , so theyll sign of course , I wish a different organization was big that didnt treat their fighters like garbage the minute they start losing

Post #11   2/12/08 3:59:35PM   

mmadb

MMADB.com

mmadb Avatar

Career:625-342
Chips:
If that's the case that's so very extremely gay on so many levels. When a fighter wins a bunch of fights in a row and his contract isn't up yet, do they give him more money. **** no they don't.

How can you piss and moan about others not honouring their contract (ie. Randy) when you up and do the same. I also can't see how they can justify this argument and then pay unproved fighters with no real wins like Lesnar as much as they do. Lesnar sells PPV's they say, I would argue CroCop does as well so it shouldn't matter if he wins or loses.

Again, this only applies if this is actually true, which I wouldn't doubt, but man does that piss me right off.

Post #12   2/12/08 4:00:20PM   

BlazinSaddle

Banned

Career:67-34
Chips:
cro cop to dana:: i will head kick you foo, you pay me now, or after coma?

Post #13   2/12/08 4:00:53PM   

xburbx

MMA Regular

xburbx Avatar

Career:645-394
Camp: rafrojas
Chips:
My thoughts as always. It is good business on the UFC's part. Contracts are always one sided because one side always wants something more than the other and will give in before the other. The issue isnt the problem the contract causes in the immediate future, the problem is what happens when fighters that want out cant get out until the end of their contract. We will start to see fighters like Tito, CroCop, Couture etc, either sitting out the duration of their contract or taking their last fight with out a care. I wont be shocked if Tito doesnt train quite as hard as we expect or CroCop just finishes his last fight in a lacluster performance. Contract fights take a whole new meaning for fighters that get the shit end of the stick in the negotiation process. Again, the short term business decision by the UFC is a good one, but the long term might have other implications. I still believe that any fighter can fade with enough lapsed time and other fighters will replace the spotlight. I think the UFC knows this ie Couture

Post #14   2/12/08 4:16:26PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,959-1,091
Chips:

Posted by mmadb

If that's the case that's so very extremely gay on so many levels. When a fighter wins a bunch of fights in a row and his contract isn't up yet, do they give him more money. **** no they don't.

How can you piss and moan about others not honouring their contract (ie. Randy) when you up and do the same. I also can't see how they can justify this argument and then pay unproved fighters with no real wins like Lesnar as much as they do. Lesnar sells PPV's they say, I would argue CroCop does as well so it shouldn't matter if he wins or loses.

Again, this only applies if this is actually true, which I wouldn't doubt, but man does that piss me right off.

Well put.

Post #15   2/12/08 4:19:36PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3