Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

New UFC (in the UK )president

Print  
Posted By Message

Mayo

Standup Guy

Mayo Avatar

Career:261-179
Camp: Downtown Chi-Town
Chips:

Now we have our UK office up and running, we’re going to have fights in the UK and throughout Europe, so the UFC is here to stay. Marshall Zelaznik, the UFC’s UK President said, There's already a huge buzz about what is going to happen.

So the UFC now has a President for the UK. From the sounds of it they'll be getting a president for the EU eventually too. Who knows how many more presidents there will be in the near future. Probably one for Canada as well.

My concern is that the UFC may get really watered down, inconsistant, and have fewer good match ups.

Right now, only the best of the best can make it into the UFC because there are so few spots available - this means good fights.

If the UFC goes global there will be numerous spots, probably filled with average fighters - the hype will fade out because there might be only one decent fight on any given payperview.

Can all of the future Regional Presidents of the UFC maintain a consistant image for the UFC? Can they maintain the quality? Will fans be willing to spend more money purchasing many more payperviews from around the world with the best fighters being spread thin across the globe making for only one good bout per payperview?

here's the source of the quote

see how UFC UK has their own website

Last edited 2/18/07 6:40PM server time by hippysmacker
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #1   2/17/07 12:11:57PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,959-1,110
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by Mayo

Now we have our UK office up and running, we’re going to have fights in the UK and throughout Europe, so the UFC is here to stay. Marshall Zelaznik, the UFC’s UK President said, There's already a huge buzz about what is going to happen.

So the UFC now has a President for the UK. From the sounds of it they'll be getting a president for the EU eventually too. Who knows how many more presidents there will be in the near future. Probably one for Canada as well.

My concern is that the UFC may get really watered down, inconsistant, and have fewer good match ups.

Right now, only the best of the best can make it into the UFC because there are so few spots available - this means good fights.

If the UFC goes global there will be numerous spots, probably filled with average fighters - the hype will fade out because there might be only one decent fight on any given payperview.

Can all of the future Regional Presidents of the UFC maintain a consistant image for the UFC? Can they maintain the quality? Will fans be willing to spend more money purchasing many more payperviews from around the world with the best fighters being spread thin across the globe making for only one good bout per payperview?

here's the source of the quote

see how UFC UK has their own website

I disagree. The UFC has been expanding and acquiring fighter's at a rapid rate. The WFA, WEC fighter's,and Cro-cop come to mind. Add the fact that they have opened up the lightweight division, and seem to be acquiring more European talent and I think they will be fine. I also have hopes they will open a feaherweight division, since Dana has made his appreciation of Kid Yamamoto apparent. I wouldn't stress man I think it will be all good.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #2   2/17/07 2:23:54PM   

Mayo

Standup Guy

Mayo Avatar

Career:261-179
Camp: Downtown Chi-Town
Chips:
If they open up the featherweight division I think it would be amazing if they could aquire Urijah Faber. And maybe they could even get Chris Horodecki if he wants to cut the weight. There would be some amazing fights!

Post #3   2/17/07 3:20:19PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
Being as the LW division is so stacked right now, it would give some of the guys an opportunity to drop down. Then again, the reason they opened up LW was because WW was too stacked.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #4   2/18/07 3:04:04AM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Mayo

If they open up the featherweight division I think it would be amazing if they could aquire Urijah Faber. And maybe they could even get Chris Horodecki if he wants to cut the weight. There would be some amazing fights!

they already signed Uraih faber to fight in the WEC, which has a featherweight division. This could be the springboard or trila baloon to the UFC opening one IMO.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #5   2/18/07 3:14:10AM   

jmoooooo

MMA Regular

jmoooooo Avatar

Career:501-328
Chips:
featherweight would be great, there are a lot of current UFC LW fighters who are fighting above their natural weight. Mark Hominick normally fights at 145lbs (TKO) and is very solid, i would love to see him at his natural weight.

Post #6   2/18/07 4:37:26AM   

nate22

Belt Contender

nate22 Avatar

Career:52-35
Chips:
I wonder if we would see Pulver fight at 145 if the opportunity came about? This is also Kid's natural weight, Melendez's natural weight, most of the top featherweight fighters have moved up simply because the big orgs don't tend to have the divisions implemented into their shows yet.

They should there are some great fighters at the weight and the division is still pretty deep even if most of the biggest names have moved up to compete at lightweight, Takeshi Inoue, Antonio Carvalho, Danny Batten, could all be great additions for UFC at this weight, the time will come no doubt, probably sooner rather than later. The more shows the more titles UFC will need to showcase. I suppose it really is wishful thinking that we will soon see Flyweight and Bantamweight in addition to Featherweight , but you never know, especially with the current rapid expansion of the sport.

Post #7   2/18/07 7:23:34AM   

redmist

MMA Regular

redmist Avatar

Career:340-240
Chips:
It sounds like they're really serious about breaking into the uk market. There's a lot of work to be done over here. The mainstream media really hasn't taken any notice of mma thus far, and the ufc is only carried on the bravo channel. obviously they would like to be generating ppv revenue in the uk and europe. If they market properly and garner interest i don't see why they couldn't strike a deal with sky sports to show the tv stuff like, unleashed, inside the ufc and even fight nights.
if this happens we'll see a rise of young people training in mma, more schools will open and far from watering the ufc down it will improve it because they'll be able to choose the best fighters from a big pool instead of the relatively small one we have now. They take a lot of criticism, but as selfish as their motives are, the ufc are doing a lot to bring this sport into the public consciousness.

Post #8   2/18/07 7:34:42AM   

nate22

Belt Contender

nate22 Avatar

Career:52-35
Chips:

Posted by redmist

It sounds like they're really serious about breaking into the uk market. There's a lot of work to be done over here. The mainstream media really hasn't taken any notice of mma thus far, and the ufc is only carried on the bravo channel. obviously they would like to be generating ppv revenue in the uk and europe. If they market properly and garner interest i don't see why they couldn't strike a deal with sky sports to show the tv stuff like, unleashed, inside the ufc and even fight nights.
if this happens we'll see a rise of young people training in mma, more schools will open and far from watering the ufc down it will improve it because they'll be able to choose the best fighters from a big pool instead of the relatively small one we have now. They take a lot of criticism, but as selfish as their motives are, the ufc are doing a lot to bring this sport into the public consciousness.

FTN have picked up TUF now also, but all in all, totally correct. Cage Rage has seen coverage on Sky and King of the Cage is shown on Men and Motors, but to be honest at pretty anti social times. Channel Five does cover the British K1 qualification events and Eurosport shows alot of K1, Muay Thai and on the rare occasions Pride. You're spot on though the only media coverage I have seen concerning MMA was from the WEFC in Manchester and i'm pretty sure that was only because Tyson was there and also, it was ALL negative coverage.

Once the UFC start bringing regular shows to Britain and more importantly people with money and the larger organisations realise the potential and recognise the growth in the sport, they will have no option but to jump on the bandwagon. This will help the growth of CW, CR especially in addition to the UFC's own growth in the UK. I'm yet to show MMA fights to a friend who has not ended up ringing me later that day or whatever to ask where they can find more. I hope you are right and alot more Brits get into the sport so in a few years time we can have a number of contenders who can compete with the worlds elite.

Post #9   2/18/07 9:01:04AM   

redmist

MMA Regular

redmist Avatar

Career:340-240
Chips:

Posted by nate22

Posted by redmist

FTN have picked up TUF now also, but all in all, totally correct. Cage Rage has seen coverage on Sky and King of the Cage is shown on Men and Motors, but to be honest at pretty anti social times. Channel Five does cover the British K1 qualification events and Eurosport shows alot of K1, Muay Thai and on the rare occasions Pride. You're spot on though the only media coverage I have seen concerning MMA was from the WEFC in Manchester and i'm pretty sure that was only because Tyson was there and also, it was ALL negative coverage.

Once the UFC start bringing regular shows to Britain and more importantly people with money and the larger organisations realise the potential and recognise the growth in the sport, they will have no option but to jump on the bandwagon. This will help the growth of CW, CR especially in addition to the UFC's own growth in the UK. I'm yet to show MMA fights to a friend who has not ended up ringing me later that day or whatever to ask where they can find more. I hope you are right and alot more Brits get into the sport so in a few years time we can have a number of contenders who can compete with the worlds elite.

Absolutely. it's an exciting time to be a british MMA fan. i've introduced quite a few people to the sport. There's a definite interest. Should be fun to see how it progresses.

Post #10   2/18/07 11:35:31AM   

jocksmall

In Full Mount

Career:213-134
Chips:
i hope they dont get too big too fast and lose focus on what it was that has made them sucessful.
good fight card with the best fighters

Post #11   2/18/07 12:25:22PM   

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Career:377-180
Chips:
Your thread title is very misleading...

Post #12   2/18/07 6:26:55PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Stickan

Your thread title is very misleading...

Good point, Ill change it

The Iron Code

Post #13   2/18/07 6:39:53PM   

Kameleon

MMA Regular

Kameleon Avatar

Career:210-115
Chips:
Does anyone know what the fight rules will be for events in the UK? Is there a sanctioning body in the UK or are they going to just follow US rules.

The way I see it would be good to have different rules for UK events, maybe even hold a one-night tournament?

Last edited 2/19/07 3:21PM server time by Kameleon
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #14   2/19/07 3:20:38PM