Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Does Tim Sylvia like being Hated???

Print  
Do you hate Tim Sylvia?
Yesss! I hope he gets KTFO soon! 19 35%
Yes...a little bit 10 19%
No Way...I love the guy!! 5 9%
No..he's alright 14 26%
I dont really care... 6 11%
  Page 2 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,924-1,081
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by Someguy

Posted by THE_AXE_MURDERER

I dont see why everyone hates on this guy the guy is an awesome fighter I think its sick that he came back from the roids and got the title back that proved alot.So his last two fights he was a lil cautious he was fighting Jeff Monson one of the best grapplers out there Tim is not known for his grappling would you wanna make a mistake against a guy like Monson?Tim's sprawl was awesome that night.

Because he's not an awesome fighter; he's a cookie cutter Miletich fighter, medicore at best and has fought medicore fighters his entire career with few exceptions. 'It's sick he came back from 'roids'? You speak as if he had cancer or some shit, instead of being caught abusing a preformance enhancing drug, as far as I'm concerned they shouldn't even be letting him fight professionally. Also saying Monson is one of the best grapplers out there is laughable, espeically considering his preformance against Tim (of all people) that night.

Why should you like Randy? Because he's a humble fighter with class, something Tim just doesn't seem to be able to grasp, and probably never will.

While I agree about Randy( my all-time favorite fighter) I have to disagree with you on Monson. I don't think he's a great MMA fighter, but he is a great grappler. He is an Abu-dabi champion. Universally recognized as the most prestigious grappling tournament worldwide. Don't get much better than that.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #16   2/17/07 6:54:23PM   

MMA

Pimpin

MMA Avatar

Career:672-349
Chips:
Sylvia was a bad motherf*cker before he got comfortable with the belt. When Mir broke his arm and said he could have a rematch another day, Sylvia was like "no, we'll do it now."

Everyone was on Sylvia's nuts back in the day because he was knocking out everyone: Rodriguez, McGee, Telligman (via head kick), and who could forget the beating he gave to Correira. Hell, he made that huge comeback when he got knocked down again by Arlovski early on and then came back with a KO of his own.

Sylvia was hungry back then, but now he has settled in and let all that ego cripple his performance. He wants respect, but he wants to keep the belt more.

Post #17   2/17/07 7:04:31PM   

Someguy

Learning to Sprawl

Someguy Avatar

Career:129-92
Camp: TheAxeMurdererz
Chips:
One thing I can give Tim props for was having his arm broken and not really giving a shit, wanting to continue the fight. I'd say that takes balls.

Post #18   2/17/07 7:15:49PM   

Jeffanori-Gomi

Standup Guy

Career:34-26
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker
While I agree about Randy( my all-time favorite fighter) I have to disagree with you on Monson. I don't think he's a great MMA fighter, but he is a great grappler. He is an Abu-dabi champion. Universally recognized as the most prestigious grappling tournament worldwide. Don't get much better than that.

Try to arm bar someone while they are punching you in the face

-Bas Rutten

agreed Monson is a great grappler, but mma requires much more. Another example Stephen Leko

Post #19   2/19/07 1:32:14PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:
These are the 2 biggest problems I see with Big Tim:

1. He is just that, huge... No one is going to assume that the giant in the ring (with an actual MMA skillset) is going to get beat, therefore his opponents are always the underdogs...
To make things worse, when you have to go to a decision against that underdog, people are not going to be happy with your lack of aggretion when they already thought that you had the fight in the bag because of your shear size...

2. He runs his mouth and then doesn't back it up... We all expect him to get in there and get the KO, and he says he will, but then everything seems to go arye once he steps in the cage...

I guess it's difficult to give props to a 6'8" giant that can't finish of a 5' nothin little chicken nugget like Monson.

Post #20   2/19/07 3:32:16PM   

seeger1

Learning to Sprawl

seeger1 Avatar

Career:40-29
Camp: Demolition Den
Chips:
Tim just wants to keep the title,whatever it takes.The way i see it,it's up to his challenger to take the fight to Tim.Not the other way around.Tim shouldn't be hated for that.Put a good enough challenger in there and this fighter might be beaten.
As for Tim's next fight.I love Randy and he has been brilliant for UFC and the representation of any title he has held.But i can't see him getting any further with Tim than he got with Chuck,and that involves Randy being knocked out.

Post #21   2/19/07 3:39:36PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:

Posted by seeger1

Tim just wants to keep the title,whatever it takes.The way i see it,it's up to his challenger to take the fight to Tim.Not the other way around.Tim shouldn't be hated for that.Put a good enough challenger in there and this fighter might be beaten.
As for Tim's next fight.I love Randy and he has been brilliant for UFC and the representation of any title he has held.But i can't see him getting any further with Tim than he got with Chuck,and that involves Randy being knocked out.

He (Randy) did pretty well against Chuck the first time they fought...

Personally, after that, I will never count Couture out of a fight...

Post #22   2/19/07 3:41:19PM   

JoeMimic

MMA Regular

JoeMimic Avatar

Career:1,741-1,058
Camp: The Underground
Chips:
Monson is a great grappler; it's hard to grapple someone who's got such a height and reach advantage when all you can do is try and take him down. Monson couldn't stand and strike with him and Tim's length kept him having to shoot for his legs from way outside which tired him out rather quickly. Randy has the right gameplan I would think for a guy who isn't going to be able to strike against Tim; get inside and work for a takedown. When you do get Sylvia to the ground it's tough to execute any GNP because he is so long that in his guard you can't reach his head.

I think the best way to submit Tim is first getting him to the ground which is a task in itself; don't take anything away from Tim his sprawl is pretty good. Once you have him to the ground I don't see anyone GNP'ing their way to victory I think you have to use his biggest advantage (his size and length) against him and go for armbars and leglocks. He's got long arms and long legs just waiting to be grabbed and I think the risk of losing position by going for a leg lock is negated by Tim's speed and the fact that he doesn't want to be on the ground so even if he gets away chances are he's not going to get on top of you. He'd rather back off and stand things up.

Post #23   2/19/07 3:59:18PM   

BabbyHughes

MMA Regular

BabbyHughes Avatar

Career:623-389
Camp: Slackers
Chips:

Posted by MMA

Sylvia was a bad motherf*cker before he got comfortable with the belt. When Mir broke his arm and said he could have a rematch another day, Sylvia was like "no, we'll do it now."

Everyone was on Sylvia's nuts back in the day because he was knocking out everyone: Rodriguez, McGee, Telligman (via head kick), and who could forget the beating he gave to Correira. Hell, he made that huge comeback when he got knocked down again by Arlovski early on and then came back with a KO of his own.

Sylvia was hungry back then, but now he has settled in and let all that ego cripple his performance. He wants respect, but he wants to keep the belt more.

I dont think he is very entertaining, and I dont like his personality. I agree, he was exciting earlier in his career.

Its far more entertaining and respectful to watch someone go out and push the pace, throwing everything they can to KO someone. Its far more boring when someone circles and counters the entire fight, while doing short jabs for 25min.

I miss Arlovski....

Post #24   2/19/07 11:31:11PM   

OB_Juan

MMA Regular

OB_Juan Avatar

Career:481-329
Camp: Bloodyknux.com
Chips:
Tim was very hungry for that belt and was knocking people out all day long. Then once he got the belt back he was fighting just to keep it, not to entertain. He lost the title once and didn't want it to happen again. I think Randy made a mistake by re-lighting the fire under Tim's ass.

Last edited 2/20/07 1:21AM server time by OB_Juan
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #25   2/20/07 1:20:50AM   

JunCTion

READY TO SMILE AND LOVE LIFE!!

JunCTion Avatar

Career:543-390
Camp: Camp David
Chips:

Posted by OB_Juan

Tim was very hungry for that belt and was knocking people out all day long. Then once he got the belt back he was fighting just to keep it, not to entertain. He lost the title once and didn't want it to happen again. I think Randy made a mistake by re-lighting the fire under Tim's ass.

1st - its not that tim likes being hated, he simply doesnt care what people think of him (fighters or fans),
2nd - he talks himself up to be the best fighter out there (when talking about the randy fight did you here him say he was a harder, faster,better striker that chuck)
3rd - like you said, hes been fighting just to keep the belt which is why hes low on the rankings.
4th - randy probably did light a fire but i dont know if it will make a difference. if he can avoid the heavy punches and keep the takedown pressure on him (AA & monson didnt) maybe he can wear tim down.

do you think if it drags out to a decision and hes defensive and not aggresive that the judges will go randys way (you know hes gonna be aggressive the whole fight.)

last ? can randy take him down easily and/or is he strong enough to keep tim down long enough to ground & pound & look for a submission?

Post #26   2/20/07 10:33:15AM   

Trapt1nw0nder

BANNED

Career:473-286
Chips:
its pretty much a tie...i honestly thought about 80% of the votes would of been choice #1...

Post #27   2/20/07 2:42:41PM   

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Career:384-262
Chips:
tims fan appreciation is in increments/waves...2 months ago about 90% would have said they'd love to see him get KTFO.. now ppl are startin to appreciate his skill..early in his career everyone thought he was a monster, we'll see how he performs in the couture fight to see peoples next feeling about tim

Post #28   2/20/07 2:50:40PM   

OB_Juan

MMA Regular

OB_Juan Avatar

Chips:

Posted by JunCTion

Posted by OB_Juan

1st - its not that tim likes being hated, he simply doesnt care what people think of him (fighters or fans),
2nd - he talks himself up to be the best fighter out there (when talking about the randy fight did you here him say he was a harder, faster,better striker that chuck)
3rd - like you said, hes been fighting just to keep the belt which is why hes low on the rankings.
4th - randy probably did light a fire but i dont know if it will make a difference. if he can avoid the heavy punches and keep the takedown pressure on him (AA & monson didnt) maybe he can wear tim down.

do you think if it drags out to a decision and hes defensive and not aggresive that the judges will go randys way (you know hes gonna be aggressive the whole fight.)

last ? can randy take him down easily and/or is he strong enough to keep tim down long enough to ground & pound & look for a submission?

I'm not sure what your point is here but if you're picking Randy then I'll be happy to do some wagering w/ you once I get some funds freed up this weekend.

I think you're wrong on your first 2 points. Tim DOES care what the fans think. Look at him post Monson fight. He was totally bummed out by their response. And pretty much ALL fighters have to talk themselves up in one way or another. How many fighters would be successful if they weren't confident? They all do it in different ways. And I happen to agree that Tim does in fact hit harder and I think his boxing is more technical than Chuck's looping counter punching. Faster than Chuck? No.

But if Tim does hurt an opponent he's on top of them finishing immediately, usually that is. IMO Tim should have finished Monson in the first 2 rounds, but then I also think Chuck should have finished Horn in rd 1.

Post #29   2/20/07 2:53:18PM   

OB_Juan

MMA Regular

OB_Juan Avatar

Chips:

Posted by loller90278

...we'll see how he performs in the couture fight to see peoples next feeling about tim

I don't think Tim can win this scenario. If he KOs Randy then he will have likely re-retired one of the most beloved fighters in UFC history. But if he doesn't finish Randy he'll get crap for going to decision. If he loses to Randy he will be called a lucky, no talent guy who has been exposed. I'm not even surehe would get respect if he took Randy down andout wrestled him because it would be "just because he's so big". I do not envy Tim's position in this fight.

Last edited 2/20/07 2:59PM server time by OB_Juan
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #30   2/20/07 2:58:08PM   

Page 2 of 4     1     2     3     4