Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC 82: Chris Leben vs. Alessio Sakara confirmed and televised

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

juanez13

P4P

juanez13 Avatar

Career:575-288
Chips:
It looks like we’re going to see Chris Leben and Alessio Sakara throw some leather after all at UFC 82: “Pride of a Champion” on Saturday March 1 from the Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio, according to UFC.com.

This latest news confirms that there will indeed be 10 bouts for the second-ever card to take place in Columbus. Let’s have one final peek:

Main Event:
UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva (20-4) vs. Dan Henderson (22-6)

Main card (televised):
265 lbs.: Cheick Kongo (11-3-1) vs. Heath Herring (27-13)
185 lbs.: Alessio Sakara (12-6) vs. Chris Leben (17-4)
185 lbs.: Evan Tanner (32-6) vs. Yushin Okami (21-4)
170 lbs.: Jon Fitch (15-2) vs. Chris Wilson (13-3)

Under card (may not be broadcast):
265 lbs.: Andrei Arlovski (11-5) vs. Jake O’Brien (10-0)
170 lbs.: Luke Cummo (6-4) vs. Luigi Fioravanti (11-3)
170 lbs.: Josh Koscheck (9-2) vs. Dustin Hazelett (10-3)
170 lbs.: Diego Sanchez (17-2) vs. David Bielkheden (12-5)
155 lbs.: Jorge Gurgel (11-3) vs. John Halverson (16-5)

This shake-up makes some sense — it was hard to explain the reason Koscheck was buried on the prelims even though he defeated Sanchez back in April 2007. “The Nightmare” then lost his next bout to Jon Fitch at UFC 76: “Knockout” later in September.

Having said that, the former winner of The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 1 is a fan favorite and his bout will more than likely be aired between fights if time permits (something tells me the Leben-Sakara fight is not going the distance) and it is an exciting match

Post #1   2/6/08 4:32:41PM   

nickcuc547

BANNED

nickcuc547 Avatar

Career:802-477
Chips:
the choices for the live card on this event make no sense, i just dont understand and im not going to try. stacked card though.

Post #2   2/6/08 4:35:18PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,327-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Maybe they've decided to air the fights that have the best chance of being over quickly so that, in the end, they'll be able to show some of the prelim fights. Rather than televising a bunch of fights that have the better chance of going the distance and then none of the prelims are aired.

Then again...maybe I'm just a damn moron and I should stop posting as much as I do.

Last edited 2/6/08 4:45PM server time by emfleek
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   2/6/08 4:44:47PM   

Jesse_Canadian_MMA

Belt Contender

Jesse_Canadian_MMA Avatar

Career:1,776-1,097
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
Yeah not a fan of this change I was looking forward to seeing the Diego Sanchez fight, his opponent was being hyped up pretty good and I am actually going for him and now- The Fitch fight seems like a blowout and Herring is no good and not exciting and I had a hard enough time dealing with the fact that possibly the last arlovski fight in the ufc and Koscheck who went from co main event to undercard will not be on the main card.
Now this- The whole card is awesome but the main card got worse.
Let's hope for quick Ko's and subs from Fitch, leben and Kongo(good luck on this one)
Well they're showing 8 of 9 fights on the last 2 so there's a chance.

Post #4   2/6/08 5:06:29PM   

wrona666

In Full Mount

wrona666 Avatar

Career:1,102-674
Chips:
Definately not complaining about this one....I would much rather watch this slug fest then watch Sanchez or Koscheck fight some can, but i think Sanchez fight or Koscheck fight would be more interesting then watching The Texas Lazy Horse get KO'ed.....

Post #5   2/6/08 5:42:20PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,530-1,341
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
i would rather watch this match then diego sanchez's thank god but i was hoping kos vs hazlett would make it

Post #6   2/6/08 5:51:56PM   

krthll1

MMA Regular

krthll1 Avatar

Career:504-298
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
I would rather watch fights with contenders such as Kos or Andrei Arlovski. I'm guessing Sakara-Leben won't be long but thats beside the point. Where in the heck are chris leben and alessio sakara going right now?

Post #7   2/6/08 6:07:37PM   

krthll1

MMA Regular

krthll1 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by juanez13

It looks like we’re going to see Chris Leben and Alessio Sakara throw some leather after all at UFC 82: “Pride of a Champion” on Saturday March 1 from the Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio, according to UFC.com.

This latest news confirms that there will indeed be 10 bouts for the second-ever card to take place in Columbus. Let’s have one final peek:

Main Event:

Main card (televised):

This shake-up makes some sense — it was hard to explain the reason Koscheck was buried on the prelims even though he defeated Sanchez back in April 2007. “The Nightmare” then lost his next bout to Jon Fitch at UFC 76: “Knockout” later in September.

Having said that, the former winner of The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 1 is a fan favorite and his bout will more than likely be aired between fights if time permits (something tells me the Leben-Sakara fight is not going the distance) and it is an exciting match

Are you saying that if Anderson Silva loses the MW title he should fight on the undercard because he would have 1 loss in a row.

Post #8   2/6/08 6:10:51PM   

juanez13

P4P

juanez13 Avatar

Career:575-288
Chips:

Posted by krthll1

Posted by juanez13

Are you saying that if Anderson Silva loses the MW title he should fight on the undercard because he would have 1 loss in a row.

first of all im not saying anything since i didnt write the article, if you follow the link that will tell you who wrote it...but to answer your question is all about excitment, people dont want to see a Boring LnP fight, people want to see knockouts and fights being fnished, Kos doesnt always put up a fight that people want to see, nothing wrong since he is still winning, but its the same deal with sean sherk, he is skilled and all, but most people dont enjoy that kind of fight, some do but majority rules......on the other hand leben and sakara are what people want to see in a fight, wild striking, both looking to end the fight, it may not be the most skilled battle, but its exciting, and since the other fights on the card are so good, they wanted to put on a sluf fest on the PPV, this may back fire, like when people tought eastman vs martin was gonna be a slug fest, and ended up boring......if sakara vs leben ends quickly, they can still put on of the best fights on the undercard, could be Kos but its very unlikely, sanchez would be the best candidate since he is a fan favourite and people are wanting to see him get back in the winning column, Kos is not a fan favourite like sanchez is, espcilly fighting a guy who is somewhat unknown, people just dont want to see that, its not judging on the skill, but on what people want to see and who people want to see....as for arlovski not being on the main card, reasons are somewhat abvious, they dont know if he will resign with them ,and putting him on a huge PPV where he will be watched by millions would hurt them alot if he ended up signing with another org

Post #9   2/6/08 6:47:15PM   

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Career:384-262
Chips:

Posted by wrona666

Definately not complaining about this one....I would much rather watch this slug fest then watch Sanchez or Koscheck fight some can, but i think Sanchez fight or Koscheck fight would be more interesting then watching The Texas Lazy Horse get KO'ed.....

i think you're underestimating david... hes a very game opponent! im picking him for the upset via decision

Post #10   2/6/08 7:36:01PM   

krthll1

MMA Regular

krthll1 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by juanez13

Posted by krthll1

Posted by juanez13

first of all im not saying anything since i didnt write the article, if you follow the link that will tell you who wrote it...but to answer your question is all about excitment, people dont want to see a Boring LnP fight, people want to see knockouts and fights being fnished, Kos doesnt always put up a fight that people want to see, nothing wrong since he is still winning, but its the same deal with sean sherk, he is skilled and all, but most people dont enjoy that kind of fight, some do but majority rules......on the other hand leben and sakara are what people want to see in a fight, wild striking, both looking to end the fight, it may not be the most skilled battle, but its exciting, and since the other fights on the card are so good, they wanted to put on a sluf fest on the PPV, this may back fire, like when people tought eastman vs martin was gonna be a slug fest, and ended up boring......if sakara vs leben ends quickly, they can still put on of the best fights on the undercard, could be Kos but its very unlikely, sanchez would be the best candidate since he is a fan favourite and people are wanting to see him get back in the winning column, Kos is not a fan favourite like sanchez is, espcilly fighting a guy who is somewhat unknown, people just dont want to see that, its not judging on the skill, but on what people want to see and who people want to see....as for arlovski not being on the main card, reasons are somewhat abvious, they dont know if he will resign with them ,and putting him on a huge PPV where he will be watched by millions would hurt them alot if he ended up signing with another org

I wasn't attacking you I just feel that I would rather watched top skilled fighters than fighters like Sakara. This fight would make sense being on a fight night show but not on a pay per view. I appologize for sounding so rude. I guess it just pisses me off that I have to watch this fight instead of watching a fight of higher skill levels.

Post #11   2/6/08 10:16:16PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by juanez13

Main Event:

Main card (televised):

to be honest u cant really complain cause this card is stacked and ur gonna see some of the under cards cause not ever match is goin the distance. lus look at the main card, the main event of course take one slot. jon fitch has been on a hot streak and lookin like a title contender. same with kongo (plus he just beat CC and heath likes to bang) evan tanner is a fan fav plus okami is line with only losin to franklin sense the MW is pretty much been killed by silva. dont really get the leben sakara fight but both guys do tend to finish, AA is not on there cause like someone said this could be his last fight in the ufc which sux cause this match-up should be a KO for him. plus he is my fav fighter. sanchez did win tuf 1 and is known but is comin off 2 loses and this card is too stacked. and josh 's fight should be an easy win for him

Post #12   2/6/08 10:48:12PM   

CantAndleDaRiddum

I Got My Black Belt in MMA

CantAndleDaRiddum Avatar

Career:299-192
Chips:
thank God, i didnt wanna see diego make it and this fight not

Post #13   2/7/08 12:04:11AM   

KYGUY07

In Full Mount

KYGUY07 Avatar

Career:896-560
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:

Posted by wrona666

Yeah I agree thats gonna be a boring fight imo.

Post #14   2/7/08 8:49:57AM   

BigTomZ

MMA Regular

BigTomZ Avatar

Career:280-166
Camp: The Pit
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Maybe they've decided to air the fights that have the best chance of being over quickly so that, in the end, they'll be able to show some of the prelim fights. Rather than televising a bunch of fights that have the better chance of going the distance and then none of the prelims are aired.

Then again...maybe I'm just a damn moron and I should stop posting as much as I do.

That can't be it. Otherwise they wouldn't have an Okami fight on the main card.

Post #15   2/7/08 10:03:11AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2