Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

The strange case of B.J. Penn.

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Trapt1nw0nder

BANNED

Career:473-286
Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

I think Bj is desreving of his ranking's for now. Still, it would be great to see him stay in shape and completely dedicate himself to fighting ( and hard core training)full time. My biggest fear for him is that he could end up like Vitor. I beleive Vitor's problem's are mental however. Bj's are motivation IMO. He has he ability to be the best at 2 weight classes to me,and I hope he dedicates himself to that purpose.

I AGREE.....if BJ would commit himself to training hard he can be champ in both LW and WW.....

Tito ortiz and Bj Penn are my 2 favorite fighters.....and seeing UFC 63...Penn vs Hughes i was touched when i saw Tito ortiz in the crowd holding up a BJ penn T-shirt supporting penn and cheering for him...which got me thinking......"BJ should train with tito and work on his cardio"

bj penn must be tito's fav fighter,cuz i have never seen him support anyone who is not in their team

BJ needs to start training and not relay too much on his skill,power...and his caveman theory..

Post #16   2/17/07 5:08:26AM   

Reignofterror

MMA Regular

Reignofterror Avatar

Career:61-30
Chips:

Posted by OB_Juan

Posted by Reignofterror

BJ still is an excellent fighter but 3 years ago he was something else, he was a monster. His vicious beating over Gomi, and his win over Hughes was evidence in of itself but I hope he rebounds, seems like a really cool guy.

But do you think he deserves his current rankings?

I also really like BJ. There are very few fighters on the planet w/ his natural abilities. The nickname "The Prodigy" is absolutely perfect for him. The fact is he hasn't competed at LW since 2003 and hasn't won at WW since 2004.

The dude could certainly be a threat at either weight but he needs to get his act together and stick to one division and get some solid wins before being ranked as such. That is all I am saying.

I think BJ is definetly deserving of the ranks he has been given even though they do seem outdated. BJ's one of those "come-and-go" fighters, and unfortunately he got injured in the Hughes fight which caused an even longer absence from fighting. I'm really hoping that the TV show can help Bj rebound, and get his killer instinct back because if for the fight that he gave Hughes with what many people thought was terrible conditioning it makes you wonder how much better BJ could be when he's off of his daily dose of donuts and pillsbury toaster strudels. It's like what GSP said about being a great fighter but not having good conditioning "it's like putting a great race car driver, into a shitty car".

Post #17   2/17/07 1:40:56PM   

OB_Juan

MMA Regular

OB_Juan Avatar

Career:481-329
Camp: Bloodyknux.com
Chips:
So what happens to Penn if he should lose to Pulver again (although the odds of that are about the same as Carmen Electra begging to give me a blowjob)? Would you continue to rank him in both divs despite not having won in either for 3 or 4 years but because he has "potential for greatness"? I totally understand why they have this icon now.

Last edited 2/17/07 2:26PM server time by OB_Juan
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #18   2/17/07 2:25:44PM   

shackle

Standup Guy

shackle Avatar

Career:152-97
Chips:
there is no logic behind saying bj penn is one of the best out of 10 p4p.

Sorry it's just he has a lot of fans, and they just don't won't to admit he isn't p4p one of the best. Nutthugging at it's finest my friends.

Gassing out isn't a excuse, and you can't be the best if you gas out cause it's part of being "the best"

Bj just has a great internet reputation. Unlike some of the GREAT fighters getting ranked low cause people just don't like them.

Bj is a great figher, but p4p the best you have to be kidding right now with his last loses there is no reason why he should be on that list until he makes a great come back.

Last edited 2/17/07 8:48PM server time by shackle
3 total post edits

Post #19   2/17/07 7:16:43PM   

Jeffanori-Gomi

Standup Guy

Career:34-26
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:

Posted by Savy
Nobody has hips like BJ.

I think Aoki has hips like BJ. BJ is the best p4p fighter IMO and all he has to work on is cardio to become a champ then I foresee him upsetting any lw or ww title holder in the near future.

Post #20   2/17/07 9:18:29PM   

MattHughes

MMA Regular

MattHughes Avatar

Career:87-35
Camp: themmaboards.com
Chips:
You would be a fool to say BJ Penn isnt a great fighter, but during 05-06 Penn went 1-3. Theres no doubt penn can get in the top 3-5 for P4P in the future. I havn't made my own list of top 10 P4P so I cant even tell you if he deserves what spot hes at but IMO he won't ever beat GSP and he will win the LW title.

Post #21   2/17/07 10:51:00PM   

OB_Juan

MMA Regular

OB_Juan Avatar

Chips:

Posted by shackle

there is no logic behind saying bj penn is one of the best out of 10 p4p.

Sorry it's just he has a lot of fans, and they just don't won't to admit he isn't p4p one of the best. Nutthugging at it's finest my friends.

Gassing out isn't a excuse, and you can't be the best if you gas out cause it's part of being "the best"

Bj just has a great internet reputation. Unlike some of the GREAT fighters getting ranked low cause people just don't like them.

Bj is a great figher, but p4p the best you have to be kidding right now with his last loses there is no reason why he should be on that list until he makes a great come back.

P4P is the only class BJ could comprehensively even be ranked. Divisional rankings should be much more objective and less subjective rankings. No friggin wayhe should be ranked at either LW or WW based on his recent wins.

Post #22   2/18/07 1:21:22AM   

jocksmall

In Full Mount

Career:213-134
Chips:
i have always contended that bj's conditioning is what beats him. he is'nt in as good of shape as the poeple he fights. he would have beaten matt and gsp had he been in good shape. some believe that the ufc round voting system isnt the best for mma because bj beat up gsp in round one then gsp won round 2 and 3 causing little damage and won the fight. but having said that bj has continually come to fight out of shape so we must accept that it is part of his total package untill he decides to work harder.as far as the ranking poeple give him too much credit i believe they are voting for unfullfilled potential

Last edited 2/18/07 11:34AM server time by jocksmall

Post #23   2/18/07 11:32:49AM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:
It's hard to look at P4P rankings because they are so abstract...

I understand that p4p rankings are a testiment to a fighters skills not their size, but it is really hard to picture...

Would a 145lbs Fedor beat KID??

Could a 230lbs KID beat Fedor??

I only bring up this point because it illustrates why it is so easy to put BJ on P4P rankings, because he takes out some of the abstractions...

BJ started his career as a LW and has fought all the way up to LHW since... And if at one time you owned the LW div, then the WW division, and have still proven that you can win at MW and even more so made a good account for yourself at LHW...

BJ takes out the abstract view of the pound for pound fighter and tries to show real results....

IMO, That is more than can be said for a lot of fighters, and should count for something...

Post #24   2/18/07 3:12:46PM   

OB_Juan

MMA Regular

OB_Juan Avatar

Chips:

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

It's hard to look at P4P rankings because they are so abstract...

I understand that p4p rankings are a testiment to a fighters skills not their size, but it is really hard to picture...

Would a 145lbs Fedor beat KID??

Could a 230lbs KID beat Fedor??

I only bring up this point because it illustrates why it is so easy to put BJ on P4P rankings, because he takes out some of the abstractions...

BJ started his career as a LW and has fought all the way up to LHW since... And if at one time you owned the LW div, then the WW division, and have still proven that you can win at MW and even more so made a good account for yourself at LHW...

BJ takes out the abstract view of the pound for pound fighter and tries to show real results....

IMO, That is more than can be said for a lot of fighters, and should count for something...

I pretty much agree. Also just the fact that BJ had the balls to move up and fight bigger guys. Matt Hughes never fights out of his weight class (unless it's against a one dimensional dinosaur). But I couldn't see Hughes taking on a guy like Lyoto.

Post #25   2/18/07 4:38:01PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2