Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Nog/Sylvia: Fight of the Year Candidate

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Lay_N_Pray

In Full Mount

Lay_N_Pray Avatar

Career:253-130
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:
There has been some praise for Nog for his performance already, which is well-deserved, but I say it was one of the best heavyweight fights I have ever seen.

I had high hopes for the fight considering it is two future HOFers in the ring and they delivered. Tim showed aggressiveness and great striking with tremendous takedown defense.

Nog proved why he is the greatest BJJ practioner in the MMA game today. He puts Tim down once and takes advantage by transitioning to 3 different positions within ten seconds for a quick choke.

Superb fight by both men and I think should be an early candidate for Fight of the Year.

Post #1   2/3/08 12:58:31AM   

Kisame

MMA Regular

Kisame Avatar

Career:212-160
Chips:
What hell no. it was a good fight but Boestch/heath beats it and its on the same card.

Post #2   2/3/08 2:02:37AM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
Yeah, it was a good fight, especially since Minotauro won, but it was overshadowed by the Boestch fight and I found the Tyson Griffin fight fun to watch, even though the crowd didn't agree with me.

Post #3   2/3/08 3:40:06AM   

Kastro

Standup Guy

Kastro Avatar

Career:474-316
Camp: The Tactical Underground
Chips:
Though the Griggin fight and Boetch fight were good and exciting they did not have the legendary status behind them, and it wasnt for a title fight...

I agree witht he thread starter, Nog/Sylvia is fight of the year its two of the greatest of all time going at it with a huge clash of different styles... we saw the best of both worlds here... a true classic and I am so happy for Noguiera!

Post #4   2/3/08 4:22:56AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,849-1,024
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Great fight, but not the best IMO

There were so many great fights on here that Even Nog choking out a giant doesnt really earn #1 of the night. Lytle, and Beosh's fights were shit-my-pants-in-joy fantastic.

Post #5   2/3/08 4:26:08AM   

theman209

MMA Regular

theman209 Avatar

Career:426-254
Chips:
Lytle handed Bradley's ass to him. This was definitely one of the better heavyweight fights I've seen in a while and might be a prime candidate for Heavyweight Fight of the Year but I'm not sure about Fight of the Year itself. We'll see as time progresses but UFC 81 delivered for me. Two straight UFC PPVs that were worth the money. KEEP IT UP, UFC!

Post #6   2/3/08 6:07:13AM   

nickcuc547

BANNED

nickcuc547 Avatar

Career:802-477
Chips:
i cant see a heavyweight fight being any better than that, both guys gave it there all. even in defeat you gotta hand it to big tim, the guy fought an exciting fight and let the hands go, too bad for tim nog's chin is granite. guess i was dead wrong when i said he took too many beating.

Post #7   2/3/08 9:22:10AM   

kevietre

Belt Contender

kevietre Avatar

Career:666-468
Chips:
Amazing Fight = YES

Fight of the Year = NO

Post #8   2/3/08 10:30:16AM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:

Posted by Lay_N_Pray

Superb fight by both men and I think should be an early candidate for Fight of the Year.

I have to disagree. This fight was decided by both fighters' mistakes. It was an entertaining fight, but if it ends up being a FOTY candidate, then 2008 is going to be a bad year.

Post #9   2/3/08 11:03:24AM   

Lay_N_Pray

In Full Mount

Lay_N_Pray Avatar

Career:253-130
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:
I should clarify what I wrote.

In all my excitement after watching that fight I did not mention that I was talking about the heavyweight division. I fully expect Silva v Henderson to be better, and even GSP v Serra could be better.

However, for a heavyweight fight, it was the best one I have seen in a very very long time and I wouldnt be surprised if it ends up being the best heavyweight fight of the year. I know I would love to see a rematch down the line.

Its not often you get two fighters that have only lost 7 fights between them with close to 60 wins between them get to go at it. Two HW legends put on a legendary performance and I was very excited about that, Tim earned all my respect last night as did Nog.

For me it was the fight of the night just cause I knew Bradley didnt stand a chance and while Boetsch was impressive, there was no aura in that fight.

Post #10   2/3/08 11:38:15AM   

dstlvb

MMA Regular

dstlvb Avatar

Career:373-248
Chips:
I see where your coming from. The fight was good has you had Tim showing very good striking and letting his hands go in combination when he had openings which he rarely did before. Nog looked steady untill the submission. It was everything surrounding the fight that made it what it was. Two top five guys, first ever Pride/UFC title holder. Could possibly goad Coture into coming back and fighting Nog. Sylvia wins and we get a guy Coture has beat. Nog wins and futher solidifies Nogs place at the top and ahead of Coture. Still early in the year but is the frontrunner for HW fight of the year.

Last edited 2/3/08 11:49AM server time by dstlvb
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #11   2/3/08 11:47:07AM   

MMALifer

Learning to Sprawl

Career:145-98
Chips:
If this is the fight of the year we are in for a boring year.

Never been a fan of Sylvia personally. I can't believe he is considered a great heavyweight. I think some of the 205'ers would smash him.

Post #12   2/3/08 11:54:23AM   

silverbullet

Shrimpin' ain't easy

Career:144-82
Chips:

Posted by MMALifer

Never been a fan of Sylvia personally. I can't believe he is considered a great heavyweight. I think some of the 205'ers would smash him.

205 division is generally stronger than the HW division IMHO. Just remember Liddel-Couture fights

Post #13   2/3/08 11:56:49AM   

MMALifer

Learning to Sprawl

Career:145-98
Chips:

Posted by silverbullet

Posted by MMALifer

205 division is generally stronger than the HW division IMHO. Just remember Liddel-Couture fights

Agree 100%. Tim just seems slow to me. I can see a number of the LHW's beating him.

Post #14   2/3/08 12:00:07PM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:

Posted by MMALifer

Yea, he's horrible. He has KO wins over Andrei Arlovski twice, a TKO win over Cabbage, Monson, Ricco he KO'ed, a highlight reel KO over Tra, lost a decision to Coutre with a back that needed surgery, a win over Vera. Dude finsishes %75 of his fights and is 24-4.

I could see 205ers smashing him.

You peoples hatred of him are clouding your judgement bigtime.

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #15   2/3/08 12:03:52PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2