Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

MMAPlayground Rankings discussion

Print  
  Page 1 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

OB_Juan

MMA Regular

OB_Juan Avatar

Career:481-329
Camp: Bloodyknux.com
Chips:
They're up. Not too bad overall IMO.

I do have 1 gripe though and it's a HUGE one. Penn at #4 WW and freakin #6 LW even though he hasn't had a win in either div for 3 yrs or better. WTF!? It's not like either div is lacking in talent and people didn't have many choices. He hasn't even fukn COMPETED at LW since 2003 for chrissakes!

I don't have a problem w/ him in the P4P because that is much more subjective than actual weight class rankings. Him in the LW ranks is absolutely laughable. At least he's been competitive in his losses to the 2 top WWs in recent history. Might as well rank Coleman at HW then in that case then.

Post #1   2/16/07 7:54:39PM   

DoTheMMAth

MMA Sensei

DoTheMMAth Avatar

Career:1,510-938
Chips:
That's a tough one though, his last fight was at WW and his next fight is most like at LW from all rumors... where the hell do you plant him? lol

My biggest surprise was here

I really did not expect to see Arlovski ranked over Hunt, but that's what the general consensus of (last time I checked) over 500 people on this site think.

Post #2   2/16/07 7:58:36PM   

OB_Juan

MMA Regular

OB_Juan Avatar

Chips:
So what if his next fight is at LW? Does everybody here have crystal balls or some crap? Besides, even if he does beat Jens it will prove nothing in the LW ranks. Penn definitely has the potential to be a top WW or LW but none of his recent accomplishments suggest he deserves being placed there currently.

Post #3   2/16/07 8:02:11PM   

dragomort

Learning to Sprawl

dragomort Avatar

Career:778-427
Chips:
In the past two years he's 1-3 with his one win against Renzo. He may be top 10 in talent, but not in any objective ranking format for MMA at any weight-class until he puts some recent wins together.

Post #4   2/16/07 8:08:07PM   

Chivo

Learning to Sprawl

Chivo Avatar

Career:315-229
Camp: Miyagi Dojo
Chips:

Posted by DoTheMMAth

That's a tough one though, his last fight was at WW and his next fight is most like at LW from all rumors... where the hell do you plant him? lol

I plant him on neither list. As mentioned he has not done anything in either weight class to warrant a high ranking. But ESPECIALLY in the LW devision.

Post #5   2/16/07 8:09:59PM   

dragomort

Learning to Sprawl

dragomort Avatar

Chips:
Also, Hunt should be over AA, Lindland over Hendo and Shaolin should be ranked quite a bit higher as a LW. Other than that it's pretty good and better than most lists.

Post #6   2/16/07 8:12:24PM   

OB_Juan

MMA Regular

OB_Juan Avatar

Chips:

Posted by dragomort

Also, Hunt should be over AA, Lindland over Hendo and Shaolin should be ranked quite a bit higher as a LW. Other than that it's pretty good and better than most lists.

I could give 2 craps about Hunt's placing. I fully agree about Woogie and Shaolin deserving to be higher. Actually, I think it's more a matter of Hendo being way too high.

Last edited 2/16/07 8:17PM server time by OB_Juan
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   2/16/07 8:15:48PM   

Chivo

Learning to Sprawl

Chivo Avatar

Chips:

Posted by OB_Juan
Actually, I think it's more a matter of Hendo being way too high.

Post #8   2/16/07 8:22:08PM   

dragomort

Learning to Sprawl

dragomort Avatar

Chips:

Posted by OB_Juan

But....he's the champ!
As for Hunt, I just guess that his BS win over Mirko gives him more credit to me than AA in his 1/3 vs Sylvia. I suppose it's not too much of a difference since it's been about 2 years though and it's value and relevence keeps growing less and less.

Post #9   2/16/07 8:26:54PM   

DoTheMMAth

MMA Sensei

DoTheMMAth Avatar

Career:1,510-938
Chips:
The rankings were left wide open and are based on people's success in voting on fight picks (on events where they made a pick for every fight). Granted, there's only been 1 event so far, but as more and more events pass the difference in vote value between the "psychich" predicters and the casual enthusiast will be widened. I know it may not make sense to you, but you can only blame your fellow MMA Playground users

Post #10   2/16/07 8:29:31PM   

OB_Juan

MMA Regular

OB_Juan Avatar

Chips:

Posted by dragomort

Posted by OB_Juan

But....he's the champ!
As for Hunt, I just guess that his BS win over Mirko gives him more credit to me than AA in his 1/3 vs Sylvia. I suppose it's not too much of a difference since it's been about 2 years though and it's value and relevence keeps growing less and less.

As far as the HW div goes, it doesn't matter too much as long as the top 5 are Fedor, Mirko, Nog, Barnett, and Sylvia. After that... meh. Who cares?

Post #11   2/16/07 8:30:41PM   

Chivo

Learning to Sprawl

Chivo Avatar

Chips:
And I completely agree that Shaolin needs to be higher then that. ALOT higher IMO.

Post #12   2/16/07 8:30:43PM   

Betro

Learning to Sprawl

Betro Avatar

Career:81-46
Chips:
How can BJ Penn and freakin' Sean Sherk be ranked higher than Vitor Shaolin? I don't think rankings are about who you think would win in a fight but rather what they have done in their recent history in the weight class they are being ranked. If anyone thinks Shaolin would lose to either guy it's their oppinion, but neither have done much to be ranked higher than him especially Sherk who has one freaking fight at that weight against Florian who's only win at LW was against Stout. GZ, Ishida, Franca, Stevenson, Boku, Aurelio have deserve to be there over Sherk.

Post #13   2/16/07 8:32:19PM   

OB_Juan

MMA Regular

OB_Juan Avatar

Chips:

Posted by DoTheMMAth

The rankings were left wide open and are based on people's success in voting on fight picks (on events where they made a pick for every fight). Granted, there's only been 1 event so far, but as more and more events pass the difference in vote value between the "psychich" predicters and the casual enthusiast will be widened. I know it may not make sense to you, but you can only blame your fellow MMA Playground users

Oh, I understand fully how the ranks were tabulated and scored. I was just hoping to get some of the apparent many yahoos in here to defend their reasoning for ranking a fighter at #6 that has even competed in the div since 2003.

Actually, since many people didn't even include Penn at LW then that means there must have been fools o'plenty that had him in the top 2 or 3.

Personally, I don't think a fighter should even be eligible to be ranked in 2 divs at the same time. Seriously, how the hell did Penn even get on the LW ballot? Because of a rumored fight in the future vs a top 25 fighter who he already lost to?

So if I want to go into the Add A Fighter thingy could I also add him to the MW div. I mean, he's had a few wins in that div a helluva lot more recently than he has at LW. Hell, he was competitive vs Lyoto who was a HW at the time. Might as well rank him there too.

BTW, I'm not trying to rag on you personally, it just seems apparent that there are flaws in the system. IMO he should only be considered for WW until he actually competes at LW in which case he should then be removed from the WW ballot.

Last edited 2/16/07 8:42PM server time by OB_Juan
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #14   2/16/07 8:39:38PM   

dragomort

Learning to Sprawl

dragomort Avatar

Chips:

Posted by DoTheMMAth

True and such is the problem in rankings. There just always seems to be something horribly wrong in them

Post #15   2/16/07 8:40:17PM   

Page 1 of 4     1     2     3     4