Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Liddell's Next Opponent Could Be...

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Mauricio "Shogun" Rua. This from Wrestling Observer this morning:

The new plan for Chuck Liddell seems to be a match with Mauricio "Shogun" Rua. No date is finalized but it would likely be either 5/24 in Las Vegas or 6/14 in London, with the latter date more likely

Liddell wins this, he could very well be in line for another shot at getting the LHW Title back after the Rampage-Griffin fight this summer.

Post #1   2/1/08 6:50:20AM   

xchickox

In Full Mount

xchickox Avatar

Career:594-360
Chips:
if shogun comes in with bad cardio like in the griffin fight liddell should win it but then if shogun comes in at the top of his game then i think chuck doesn't stand a chance

Post #2   2/1/08 7:02:48AM   

jomatty

In Full Mount

jomatty Avatar

Career:137-79
Camp: bet the rent
Chips:
i cant see why the ufc would put this fight together (the fact that it would be a great fight does not seem good enough any more). one of their top guys would be damaged severely by this fight. either chuck would lose 3 out of 4 or shogun would start his ufc career off 0-2. just seems unlikely. if they are smart they will streamline rua for a title shot because chuck has a better chance of beating him than rampage (even though almost everyone else would have a better chance of beating page imo). it just seems like a bad matchup for rua, because he wont be able to get chuck down most likely and will have a hard time outstiking chuck, and chuck does well counterpunching against guys with slightly wild stand up.

i still think shogun will probably take it but it should be very entertaining and could go either way, but i doubt it will happen yet...

Post #3   2/1/08 7:09:03AM   

whardin19

MMA Sensei

whardin19 Avatar

Career:1,004-606
Camp: B-Robs Terror
Chips:
I would definetally watch this fight, seeing as Chuck Liddell is one of my favorite fighters. I think this would be an exciting fight to watch too. I wasn't too impressed with Rua first fight, but I'm guarnteeing that he would come in ready for this fight. I say Liddell by decision if I had to guess.

Post #4   2/1/08 7:23:27AM   

Flip

Learning to Sprawl

Career:217-164
Camp: Rival
Chips:
I think Rua's nerves played a part in his first fight but I don't think he will beat Chuck Liddell when and if they fight. Chuck's standup is too good for Rua imo. To be honest I would love to see Jackson vs. Shogun after the Pride fight wear Jackson beat Shogun's brother in a bad decision by the judges.

Post #5   2/1/08 7:37:45AM   

mkiv9secsupra

MMA Sensei

mkiv9secsupra Avatar

Career:1,051-706
Chips:
We have already seen Liddell beat one of the best muay thai fighters (in mma of course). Shogun will, imo, be a little bit less of a challenge for chuck than wandy simply because i think Wandy is the better striker. The only thing this fight will show us is who has the stronger chin: Wanderlei or Mauricio?

Post #6   2/1/08 8:01:08AM   

Flip

Learning to Sprawl

Chips:
I think Silva clearly has the stronger chin after his incredible demonstration of that against Chuck. He gets his bell rung several times in that fight but continues to pressure Chuck. I would really like to see Silva vs. Jackson for the LHW title and than when Silva knocks out Jackson for a third time I would like Chuck to step in and take the gold home with him.

Post #7   2/1/08 8:03:51AM   

JoeRoganPwnsMMA

Learning to Sprawl

JoeRoganPwnsMMA Avatar

Career:184-119
Chips:
Liddell will win then Shogun will drop to 185 or bulk up. Griffen was so much bigger than him, but then again he does cut a ton.

Post #8   2/1/08 8:24:44AM   

Flip

Learning to Sprawl

Chips:
The logical move would be to cut weight because let's face it he won't go anywhere against Cro Cop or Emelienenko when he arrives.

Post #9   2/1/08 10:07:56AM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:
Nice. This is a good, tough rebound fight for Shogun, much as Chuck-v-Wandy was for those two guys. No messin' around.

Posted by xchickox

[...]if shogun comes in at the top of his game then i think chuck doesn't stand a chance

Liddell suffered, imho, for not facing a good striker for a long time. He got used to beating up grapplers, his defense atrophied, and he lost to the first two quality strikers he fought. However, I think that actually favors Chuck in a match against Shogun.

Liddell has already shown that he's rebounding from his losses to Jackson and Jardine, and even said he was disappointed that he couldn't finish Silva. He still had little birdies circling his head after his loss to Rampage, and he already knew why he lost. He's a smart fighter and he's (re-) learning how to fight strikers. Shogun will have a hard time landing a good blow, much as Silva did (and much as Jardine did, for that matter).

I haven't seen Shogun take the kind of punishment that Wanderlei Silva has, so I don't know about his chin one way or the other, but the odds are against anyone having the same resilience as Silva.

If I knew ahead of time that Shogun was going to rebound from his loss in his next fight, I might give him a 60-40 edge, but certainly no more than that. I can see this fight ending in a dozen plausible ways, and Chuck's victory shout features in about half of them.

Posted by Flip

The logical move would be to cut weight because let's face it he won't go anywhere against Cro Cop or Emelienenko when he arrives.

Cro Cop and Emelianenko are both Heavyweights.

Post #10   2/1/08 10:42:37AM   

Pride-Fighter

MMA Regular

Pride-Fighter Avatar

Career:392-266
Chips:
Shogun by destruction.

Post #11   2/1/08 11:40:02AM   

thisbeme

MMA Regular

thisbeme Avatar

Career:150-95
Chips:
two of my fav fighters goin at it... should be a good matchup.. I'd love to see this go down

Post #12   2/1/08 11:52:59AM   

Kastro

Standup Guy

Kastro Avatar

Career:474-316
Camp: The Tactical Underground
Chips:
Wow... I cant believe this.

Chuck IMO is a bad match-up for Shogun just like he was for Wanderlei with his long reach and crisper striking.... the UFC knows that Chuck is very capable of beating Shogun and I think they are almost attempting to damage the Pride fighters by doing something like this....

Shogun just lost embarassingly against Forrest Griffin, why not give Shogun a warm up fight or two to build him up and get his confidence back before throwing him against Chuck Liddell?

Doesn't make sense to me other then trying to make Shogun 0-2 in the octagon so Dana and Rogan can say "Shogun was never that good" just like they have said about Cro Cop...

BS in my opinion, I hope Shogun knocks him out and its too bad there is no head stomps allowed..

Post #13   2/1/08 12:36:31PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,600-1,486
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by jomatty

i cant see why the ufc would put this fight together (the fact that it would be a great fight does not seem good enough any more). one of their top guys would be damaged severely by this fight. either chuck would lose 3 out of 4 or shogun would start his ufc career off 0-2. just seems unlikely. if they are smart they will streamline rua for a title shot because chuck has a better chance of beating him than rampage (even though almost everyone else would have a better chance of beating page imo). it just seems like a bad matchup for rua, because he wont be able to get chuck down most likely and will have a hard time outstiking chuck, and chuck does well counterpunching against guys with slightly wild stand up.

i still think shogun will probably take it but it should be very entertaining and could go either way, but i doubt it will happen yet...

why feed rua cans? the ufc is full of talent and theres no reason to "streamline" shogun when hes already established as a great fighter. also, this fight will sell PPV buys, in fact any fight chuck is in will, but its better to put him in there against top talent rather than waste chucks last few years as a top draw on fighting former TUFers. with wandy losing to chuck im sure that shogun, even though they dont still train together, would love to avenge his "big brother".

Post #14   2/1/08 12:40:00PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,600-1,486
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Kastro

Doesn't make sense to me other then trying to make Shogun 0-2 in the octagon so Dana and Rogan can say "Shogun was never that good" just like they have said about Cro Cop...

i dont think they want shogun(a guy they are paying big money to, to lose they just want to put on events that are big draws. and who ever said CC was never that good????

Last edited 2/1/08 12:42PM server time by cowcatcher
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #15   2/1/08 12:40:45PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2