Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Paulão gives revenge to Sonnen at WEC, in March

Print  
Posted By Message

juanez13

P4P

juanez13 Avatar

Career:575-288
Chips:
WEC Champion at 84kg category, Paulão Filho gave Chael Sonnen a revenge, whom defeated at WEC 31, at 2007 December, with an arm-lock. According to Paulão Filho’s boxing coach, Josuel Distak, Sonnen asked for a revenge after the fight. “Last fight I had a lot of weight problems with Paulão, that’s why he wasn’t well. Sonnen asked for a revenge and we accepted. Thanks God this will be Paulão’s last fight at 84 category. After this fight he’ll go up to 93kg category”, said Distak.

LINk

Post #1   1/30/08 8:27:52PM   

Mayhem13

MMA Sensei

Mayhem13 Avatar

Career:2,092-1,242
Camp: Team Sakara Eye Punch
Chips:
lhw seems like it will suit him better, atleast for health reasons...that cut has really seemed to effect him in his last few fights...

the only thing is he is so built that he has those little stubby (kid in a snow suit) arms....and I thihnk it will be hard for him to stand with anyone at LHW (although the ground is his world...he still needs to set those takedowns up with some punches).

Post #2   1/30/08 8:31:50PM   

Daddyprimetime

MMA Regular

Daddyprimetime Avatar

Career:457-264
Camp: Xtreme Couture
Chips:
I'm glad we get to see a rematch. Sonnen deserves one and I think Fhilo deserves one too just to set things straight. Fhilo's move to LHW will be fine. Reach doesn't mean much on the ground and that's Fhilo's home.

Post #3   1/30/08 8:49:17PM   

Mayhem13

MMA Sensei

Mayhem13 Avatar

Career:2,092-1,242
Camp: Team Sakara Eye Punch
Chips:

Posted by Daddyprimetime

I'm glad we get to see a rematch. Sonnen deserves one and I think Fhilo deserves one too just to set things straight. Fhilo's move to LHW will be fine. Reach doesn't mean much on the ground and that's Fhilo's home.

I think he will do well at LHW, but I think to an extent reach plays a little bit into it...even on the ground....like the Monson/Sylvia fight...Jeff should have been able to submit him...but his short arms/legs made it hard...

but I dont think it will matter much at LHW, because theres not really any giants in that division....esp. in the WEC

Post #4   1/30/08 8:52:09PM   

juanez13

P4P

juanez13 Avatar

Career:575-288
Chips:

Posted by Mayhem13

I think he will do well at LHW, but I think to an extent reach plays a little bit into it...even on the ground....like the Monson/Sylvia fight...Jeff should have been able to submit him...but his short arms/legs made it hard...

but I dont think it will matter much at LHW, because theres not really any giants in that division....esp. in the WEC

yea, but if he wants to go into the UFC, he'll need to go on a diet, to loose a bit of weight, so the weight cutting is easier for him, since i dont think he would do well in the UFC LHW division, and would have a better shot at middleweight

Last edited 1/30/08 8:54PM server time by juanez13
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   1/30/08 8:54:35PM   

Kracker_Jap

BANNED

Kracker_Jap Avatar

Career:359-223
Chips:
Great! I'm glad to see a rematch I don't think its a good fight for Paulao

Post #6   1/30/08 9:05:29PM   

Daddyprimetime

MMA Regular

Daddyprimetime Avatar

Career:457-264
Camp: Xtreme Couture
Chips:

Posted by Mayhem13

Posted by Daddyprimetime

Oh I know man that why I said *it doesn't mean much.* It can also work the other way around from the Sylvia/Monson fight. Guys with shorter arms can throw punches with less room when they are on the ground. So they both have adv./disadv.

Post #7   1/30/08 9:12:53PM   

bullettdodger

BANNED

bullettdodger Avatar

Career:332-207
Chips:

Posted by juanez13

Posted by Mayhem13

yea, but if he wants to go into the UFC, he'll need to go on a diet, to loose a bit of weight, so the weight cutting is easier for him, since i dont think he would do well in the UFC LHW division, and would have a better shot at middleweight

don't think we'll see him as a MW in the UFC as Anderson Silva is one of his homies and don't want to fight each other. At least thats what i heard.

Last edited 1/31/08 2:11AM server time by bullettdodger
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   1/31/08 2:11:02AM   

Leland

Standup Guy

Leland Avatar

Career:92-44
Camp: Polk Fight Club
Chips:
I hope Chael wins. He put up a GREAT fight.

Post #9   1/31/08 8:12:21AM   

fedorwins1

MMA Sensei

Career:552-270
Chips:
Well there's not too many other people for him to fight at MW in the WEC, he could easily win the LHW belt in the WEC IMO, but in the UFC I think he will have a lot of problems with the LHWs.

Post #10   1/31/08 8:29:23AM   

jomatty

In Full Mount

jomatty Avatar

Career:137-79
Camp: bet the rent
Chips:
it shows how tough paulo is to take this fight again so soon as it is truly a worst case style matchup for him. i think there are a number of people that can potentially beat sonnen and that a number of those would be beat by filho, but that sonnen has a big edge in this fight.

i know what technique dan and matt should be drilling him on. "stand up, stand up". should be a good matchup for sonnen so long as he can remember to stand up.

Post #11   1/31/08 8:45:09AM   

CornishMMA

BANNED

CornishMMA Avatar

Career:497-280
Chips:
LOL i hope "The Screamer" gets caught in a sub again

Post #12   1/31/08 10:19:53AM