Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

I hope Kharitonov pounds Yvel into sludge.

Print  
What say thee?
Sergei will crush him. 10 77%
Could do either way. 1 8%
Gilbert ftw! 2 15%
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:
I kind of enjoyed watching Sergei pummel Semmy Schilt until he cried like a girl. It was kind of rough, I admit, but K-1 seems happy to have him and I wish him well.

After that, Sergei put up a real fight against Nogueira, which surprised me, frankly. Choi and Rizzo didn't even belong in the ring with Sergei. I mean, really. That's like me fighting Denis Kang. The decision over Werdum was a narrow one, and could have gone either way, but Werdum ain't too shabby himself.

The losses to Alistair Overeem and Aleks Emelianenko really stuck in my craw, though. Not to take anything away from Overeem and Aleks E, but I thought Sergei looked kinda... I dunno.. flat. For awhile, I was advocating for PRIDE and the UFC to "trade" Sergei for Andrei Arlovski, on the theory that they could each have used a change of scenery (I really wanted to see Sergei vs. Brandon Vera). AA seems to have come back, though, so he's probably going to stay put.

So now I'm hoping that Sergei follows suit and goes back to punching people in the face a lot. Maybe a couple of knees thrown in, for good measure.

No offense, Gilbert. I'm sure you're a swell guy, but I'm hoping you get clubbed like a narc at a biker rally.

Post #1   2/16/07 2:04:03PM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Chips:

Posted by AchillesHeel

No offense, Gilbert. I'm sure you're a swell guy, but I'm hoping you get clubbed like a narc at a biker rally.

This is meant completely in jest, of course. I'd never want a fighter to actually get hurt in the ring.

Post #2   2/16/07 2:13:15PM   

OB_Juan

MMA Regular

OB_Juan Avatar

Career:481-329
Camp: Bloodyknux.com
Chips:
Actually, no, Gilbert isn't a swell guy. I'm not even convinced he will be allowed tofight in the States until I actually see him in the ring.

I'd have to disagree w/ your gameplan for Sergei. Standing up and trying to "punch him in the face" is a bad idea. Maybe he could GnP him, sure. However, knees will not be allowed (at least to the head). Regardless, if Sergei is smart he will take this fight to the ground immdiately. He needs the win here more than he needs to try and entertain fans.

Post #3   2/16/07 2:14:42PM   

OB_Juan

MMA Regular

OB_Juan Avatar

Chips:
Your poll options should have "Sergei via DQ" in there. Seriously, the American refs will not tolerate any of Gilbert's shit.

Post #4   2/16/07 2:16:33PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,924-1,081
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I agree that we may not see this fight. The NSAC might not grant Yvel a license considering all his DQ's , especially the one for hitting a ref. I f it does I hop Segei GnP's him as bad as Alistair did to him. Probably impossible, as Yvel would probably tap as soon as he got injured, instead of trying to gut it out.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #5   2/16/07 2:26:25PM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Chips:

Posted by OB_Juan

Actually, no, Gilbert isn't a swell guy. I'm not even convinced he will be allowed tofight in the States until I actually see him in the ring.

I was being cheeky. I've never met Yvel.

I'd have to disagree w/ your gameplan for Sergei. Standing up and trying to "punch him in the face" is a bad idea. Maybe he could GnP him, sure.

Good lord, dude. I was trying to be a little light-hearted. Anyway, I never said he should stand up. GnP qualifies as punching him in the face, last time I checked.

However, knees will not be allowed (at least to the head).

Huh? What are you talking about? I thought they were fighting under NSAC rules (e.g. UFC rules, minus the elbows). Since when are knees disallowed in MMA?

Regardless, if Sergei is smart he will take this fight to the ground immdiately.

Yes, I agree. I'm not completely familiar with Yvel, but I think Sergei is the stronger wrestler.

He needs the win here more than he needs to try and entertain fans.

In what way are the two mutually exclusive?

Post #6   2/16/07 2:29:43PM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

I agree that we may not see this fight.

True.

Post #7   2/16/07 2:31:07PM   

Jeffanori-Gomi

Standup Guy

Career:34-26
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:
apparently Yvel isnt able to fight in the US. Nevada state athletic commision won't let him. I read it on MMAweekly

Post #8   2/16/07 3:34:26PM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Career:802-575
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
Sergei by KO in the first. At least i hope so. I picked em after all.

Post #9   2/16/07 3:56:22PM   

OB_Juan

MMA Regular

OB_Juan Avatar

Chips:

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by OB_Juan

I was being cheeky. I've never met Yvel.

I'd have to disagree w/ your gameplan for Sergei. Standing up and trying to "punch him in the face" is a bad idea. Maybe he could GnP him, sure.

Good lord, dude. I was trying to be a little light-hearted. Anyway, I never said he should stand up. GnP qualifies as punching him in the face, last time I checked.

However, knees will not be allowed (at least to the head).

Huh? What are you talking about? I thought they were fighting under NSAC rules (e.g. UFC rules, minus the elbows). Since when are knees disallowed in MMA?

Regardless, if Sergei is smart he will take this fight to the ground immdiately.

Yes, I agree. I'm not completely familiar with Yvel, but I think Sergei is the stronger wrestler.

He needs the win here more than he needs to try and entertain fans.

In what way are the two mutually exclusive?

You need to untwist your panties, bro. I said standing up was a bad idea and GnP was a good idea but if he does take it down he can't knee him to the head. That is all.

And for the most part, when a fighter does not try and stand but instead takes it down for a quick sub it's generally not considered to be as exciting by the majority of the fans (IE: Baroni vs Nishijima would have been more exciting if they traded instead of Phil getting the smart win).

You don't have to know Gilbert personally to know he's a POS.

Post #10   2/16/07 4:23:09PM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Chips:

Posted by OB_Juan

You need to untwist your panties, bro. I said standing up was a bad idea[...]

You wrote "I'd have to disagree w/ your gameplan for Sergei." And I don't wear panties.

and GnP was a good idea but if he does take it down he can't knee him to the head.

Oh, I thought you were replying to my suggestion that he throw some knees. I didn't realize you meant he couldn't throw knees if/when the fight went to the ground.

Last edited 2/16/07 4:45PM server time by AchillesHeel
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #11   2/16/07 4:45:13PM   

xthe_scottx

In Full Mount

Career:342-173
Camp: MMA Weekly
Chips:
This fight is now off. Its under update #2.

Link

Post #12   2/16/07 4:49:46PM   

Reignofterror

MMA Regular

Reignofterror Avatar

Career:61-30
Chips:
Yvel is a dirty fighter plain and simple, he'll do whatever it takes to win even if it means pulling out a steel chair.

Post #13   2/16/07 5:02:54PM   

OB_Juan

MMA Regular

OB_Juan Avatar

Chips:

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by OB_Juan

You need to untwist your panties, bro. I said standing up was a bad idea[...]

You wrote "I'd have to disagree w/ your gameplan for Sergei." And I don't wear panties.

and GnP was a good idea but if he does take it down he can't knee him to the head.

Oh, I thought you were replying to my suggestion that he throw some knees. I didn't realize you meant he couldn't throw knees if/when the fight went to the ground.

No worries, mate. I fully agree w/ your original asessment that it would be nice to see Sergei pwn the tar out of Yvel.

Post #14   2/16/07 5:06:33PM   

rippdogg66

Learning to Sprawl

rippdogg66 Avatar

Career:842-491
Chips:
yeah, the NSAC wouldnt grant Yvel a licence. sad, i wanted to see sergei pound Yvel also

Post #15   2/16/07 6:55:24PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2