Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

NSAC Executive Director Keith Kizer Discusses Year-Round Drug Testing

Print  
Posted By Message

Bemin

Touch gloves, and good fight!

Bemin Avatar

Career:140-118
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
Earlier this month the Nevada State Athletic Commission issued a memo detailing new drug-testing procedures — procedures that could have a major impact on the use of steroids and other performance-enhancing drugs by MMA fighters.

Keith Kizer is the executive director of the NSAC, which is generally considered the most powerful state athletic commission in all of combat sports. His memo sent a very clear message: MMA fighters are subject to drug testing at any time — for just about any reason — throughout the year, regardless of whether or not the fighter is scheduled for an upcoming event.

Basically, testing is now done year-round, and a missed test is treated as a failed test.

Link

Post #1   1/30/08 6:10:51PM   

Wolf

MMA Regular

Wolf Avatar

Career:378-248
Camp: Team Bullshido
Chips:
I wonder if this just includes "performance enhancers" or also "drugs of abuse" a la pot.

Post #2   1/31/08 12:33:06AM   

Bemin

Touch gloves, and good fight!

Bemin Avatar

Career:140-118
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
From what I read in another article on this, for right now its just performance enhancers, but they still may go also test for recreational drugs.

Post #3   1/31/08 12:59:26AM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:
hopefully the go all out on all illegal substances including illegal drugs. i cannot respect you as a fighter if you test positive for a recreational drug right before a fight, just is not professional.

Post #4   1/31/08 1:01:53AM   

Wolf

MMA Regular

Wolf Avatar

Career:378-248
Camp: Team Bullshido
Chips:
I still don't see the need to test for "drugs of abuse" outside of right before the fight. Sure coke can probably give you and edge. Hell pot could if you smoke up as you're warming up in the dressing room, but to test for those things radomly all year is ridiculous.

Post #5   1/31/08 9:48:56AM