Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Gomi and UFC Deal Falls through

Print  
  Page 3 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

iwannabesedated

banned

iwannabesedated Avatar

Career:575-327
Chips:
I dont understand the whole thing with being popular and loved in Japan and not in the UFC American Market.Wasn't Rampage loved and respected in Japan when he was in Pride he had no Problem coming back to America and fighting where most UFC fans may of not even know who he was.Wandy was the face of Pride next to Sakuraba and Fedor and hes in the UFC...Shogun,Cro Cop,Anderson,Dan All were big name guys in Pride that are now in the UFC.I understand that Gomi is Japanese and has many fans there and to some "casual fans" that dont read the web and watch other orgs outside of the UFC may not who he is...they might even know him as the Guy who got choked out by Nick Diaz...Either way props to Dana for trying.

Besides we dont know what the amount or terms of the contract was.Why would Dana want to Pay another Pride guy alot of money and him come over get hyped up and lose like Cro Cop,Soko,and Shogun.I think what kills Dana is him trying to lock these guys up with 3 ,4 ,5 fight deals and then if they dont do so well your paying a guy like cro cop say 350,000 a fight and he's losing..Id think it be smart if Dana gave 1 or 2 fight deals with performance bonuses and then talk contract extensions afterwards.

Post #31   1/30/08 8:24:59PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,361-755
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by 40ouncetofreedom

I dont understand the whole thing with being popular and loved in Japan and not in the UFC American Market.Wasn't Rampage loved and respected in Japan when he was in Pride he had no Problem coming back to America and fighting where most UFC fans may of not even know who he was.Wandy was the face of Pride next to Sakuraba and Fedor and hes in the UFC...Shogun,Cro Cop,Anderson,Dan All were big name guys in Pride that are now in the UFC.I understand that Gomi is Japanese and has many fans there and to some "casual fans" that dont read the web and watch other orgs outside of the UFC may not who he is...they might even know him as the Guy who got choked out by Nick Diaz...Either way props to Dana for trying.

Besides we dont know what the amount or terms of the contract was.Why would Dana want to Pay another Pride guy alot of money and him come over get hyped up and lose like Cro Cop,Soko,and Shogun.I think what kills Dana is him trying to lock these guys up with 3 ,4 ,5 fight deals and then if they dont do so well your paying a guy like cro cop say 350,000 a fight and he's losing..Id think it be smart if Dana gave 1 or 2 fight deals with performance bonuses and then talk contract extensions afterwards.

Well Gomi could come and build a fans base in the US. Your hardcore MMA fans like us know who he is but your avg fan in the US has no clue. The UFC is very good at building fighters up. But you have to understand the Japaneses people are very patriotic. They love the USA vs Japan fights. So to them Gomi is like a hero. So he is worth much more money in Japan than he is in the North American market place.

As far as the Pride fighters coming over looking bad I disagree. I think some are having a had time moving over but most seam to be fine. But I really don't think this had any bearing on Gomi's contract deal at all.

Last edited 1/30/08 9:59PM server time by telnights
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #32   1/30/08 9:59:24PM   

Kracker_Jap

BANNED

Kracker_Jap Avatar

Career:359-223
Chips:

Posted by telnights

Well Gomi could come and build a fans base in the US. Your hardcore MMA fans like us know who he is but your avg fan in the US has no clue. The UFC is very good at building fighters up. But you have to understand the Japaneses people are very patriotic. They love the USA vs Japan fights. So to them Gomi is like a hero. So he is worth much more money in Japan than he is in the North American market place.

As far as the Pride fighters coming over looking bad I disagree. I think some are having a had time moving over but most seam to be fine. But I really don't think this had any bearing on Gomi's contract deal at all.

Hey man half my family is Japanese and yes we are very patriotic...

And I believe from my own Exp. that we love to see Jap. vs Amer. fights

But that is the point exactly Gomi is legend in Japan and the whole point of the Pride brand, was the PRIDE part so I think it is Gomi's enternal demons that keep him from signing with the UFC

The Japanese people would tune in if one of there Legendary fighters fought in the UFC and after win or lose they would still show PRIDE in there fighters

And as far the the fans in the US we love anyone who is Game and puts up a fight Tuff is proof of that

So what I'm saying is this excuse of staying loyal to the fans or not having enough fans in the state is well "BS"

Post #33   1/30/08 11:19:16PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,361-755
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Kracker_Jap

Posted by telnights

Hey man half my family is Japanese and yes we are very patriotic...

And I believe from my own Exp. that we love to see Jap. vs Amer. fights

But that is the point exactly Gomi is legend in Japan and the whole point of the Pride brand, was the PRIDE part so I think it is Gomi's enternal demons that keep him from signing with the UFC

The Japanese people would tune in if one of there Legendary fighters fought in the UFC and after win or lose they would still show PRIDE in there fighters

And as far the the fans in the US we love anyone who is Game and puts up a fight Tuff is proof of that

So what I'm saying is this excuse of staying loyal to the fans or not having enough fans in the state is well "BS"

You may be right he may have some demons he is dealing with. But I'm Just saying he isn't worth as much to the UFC as he is to say K-1. The fact is that the UFC does not hold a TV deal in japan so you cant make near the money off of Gomi if his major fan base cant tune in. Your avg US MMA fan doesn't even know who Gomi is. So in the end it comes down to how much is he worth the US market and its easy to see its not worth near as much as he is to a Japaneses based org that has a TV deal in Japan like K-1.

Post #34   1/31/08 12:58:40AM   

Buttertincup

Learning to Sprawl

Buttertincup Avatar

Career:970-576
Camp: Top 10 Team
Chips:
That sucks he's a great fighter.

Post #35   1/31/08 1:53:53AM   

Page 3 of 3     1     2     3