Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Gomi and UFC Deal Falls through

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Jujiden

MMA Regular

Jujiden Avatar

Career:263-145
Camp: Jujiden MMA
Chips:
I think I express the feelings of all who hear this news when I say...

CRAP!!!

Last edited 1/29/08 1:32PM server time by JUJIDEN
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #16   1/29/08 1:31:53PM   

Mackavelli

MMA Regular

Mackavelli Avatar

Career:1,439-744
Camp: War Room Warriors
Chips:

once again the consensus seems to be that the ufc has made a fair offer and another overrated fighter has decided to act unreasonably. am i the only one that thinks this might not be the whole story?

No youre not the only one. Its pretty ridiculous that some people are saying hes refusing to sign because hell be exposed as not being no 1. Im sure he cares what mmaweekly or other sites are ranking him.
Its almost always about the money. Dana disagrees with the amount gomi thinks hes worth.

Post #17   1/29/08 2:45:06PM   

stock

Banned

Career:409-235
Chips:

Posted by Styles

Gomi would get destroyed by the top 5 guys in the UFC... anyone who thinks differently obviously dont know the way things work all that well. UFC dont need Gomi nor is it a wise investment. Let Gomi's career float up ***** creek.

Now Kid on the other hand, that is someone that Zuffa needs to get ahold of. Yamamoto/Faber sounds better then Fedor/Couture.

I like what you say.
I think the big problem for the pride guys is the American wrestling background that feeds into the UFC. I don't think the Pride guys possess the brute strength and the ability to cut weight like a science like many of the UFC guys do.
If you think about the Pride guys that have had success in the UFC, they are american wrestlers (Rampage/Hendu come to mind).

I agree that "Kid" kicking Faber's head into the 7th row would be more entertaining than a judges decision in a Fedor/Couture fight. Fedor has never finished a top 10 fighter in his life, and I wouldn't see the Couture fight being any different.

Post #18   1/29/08 2:59:45PM   

RampageOwnedYou

Banned

RampageOwnedYou Avatar

Career:493-284
Chips:
Would have loved to seen that fight, or Gomi in the UFC Period!!
My guess Gomi will sign on with the new league in Japan, he is the big ticket in Japan.

Post #19   1/29/08 6:14:16PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,631-1,351
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Gomi is not the draw here that he is in Japan.

It's a bad decision for an American company to pay what he can get in Japan.

It's a bad decision for Gomi to take less to make a name for himself on another continent when he's already made a name for himself in Japan.

Very very simple logic here.

Post #20   1/29/08 6:14:26PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,442-795
Chips:

Posted by Kpro

It's a bad decision for Gomi to take less to make a name for himself on another continent when he's already made a name for himself in Japan.

I think that pretty much says it all.

Post #21   1/29/08 8:06:10PM   

Kracker_Jap

BANNED

Kracker_Jap Avatar

Career:359-223
Chips:
So do we Know how much gomi was offered???

Or is it like Fedor where he was willing to take less money??

i wish peeps would at least post a link when the make statements like that

IT WOULD HELP MY HEAD ACHE......

Is there somewhere that post contracts that have been offered??

Post #22   1/29/08 8:19:13PM   

NWninja

Learning to Sprawl

NWninja Avatar

Career:279-161
Chips:
bummer this fight would be awesome. Id pick edgar by decision. no way gomi could stop his shot. give it one year and edgar will be in the top 3 LW's

Post #23   1/29/08 9:07:19PM   

Jujiden

MMA Regular

Jujiden Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Kpro

I also agree. Even though I'd love to see Gomi here in the US, much like Fedor, I can understand their desire to stay with the Japanese crowd not only for the money, but also for the fans and the respect. The US doesn't have the final say on the respect given to fighters. Kudos to Gomi.

Post #24   1/30/08 1:19:18PM   

Kracker_Jap

BANNED

Kracker_Jap Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Jujiden

Posted by Kpro

I also agree. Even though I'd love to see Gomi here in the US, much like Fedor, I can understand their desire to stay with the Japanese crowd not only for the money, but also for the fans and the respect. The US doesn't have the final say on the respect given to fighters. Kudos to Gomi.

As a matter of respect?? I ask you would you respect GSP more or less if the UFC went under and a new Promotion in japan had all the best fighters offered him a contract and he turned it down...

To fight at?? Lets say KOTC???

I don't know about you guys but the picture gets more clear if you change your perspective

"It might be a different continent but that continent CRAP only mattered when Columbus discovered America"

Post #25   1/30/08 1:34:00PM   

Jujiden

MMA Regular

Jujiden Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Kracker_Jap

Posted by Jujiden

Posted by Kpro

As a matter of respect?? I ask you would you respect GSP more or less if the UFC went under and a new Promotion in japan had all the best fighters offered him a contract and he turned it down...

To fight at?? Lets say KOTC???

I don't know about you guys but the picture gets more clear if you change your perspective

"It might be a different continent but that continent CRAP only mattered when Columbus discovered America"

I guess I'd say that would be up to GSP. If he can take care of himself and his family better by taking bigger money at a smaller promotion, then good for him. I'm not going to be as narrow-minded, nor as arrogant, as to think that I can even say what's good for GSP or not. I'd give him respect for being a man and making his own decisions and not caving in to what others want him to do. If he felt he could get better respect at a smaller promotion with more money, then more power to him.

That said, UFC isn't the biggest promotion in the world. K-1 Heroes is strong and has more money to give, and garners a larger fan base than the UFC CURRENTLY does in America. If Gomi decides to go with K-1, or any promotion for that matter, then more power to him. He definitely doesn't need to care about getting your respect or mine in order to make decisions for himself.

Post #26   1/30/08 1:47:40PM   

Kracker_Jap

BANNED

Kracker_Jap Avatar

Chips:
Your answer was great! And I should say that you are respected by me

But with that being said i have heard these K-1 talking points before

So I was wondering if you or any one can produce proof of your statments about K-1 offering more money per fight and having a larger audience

Post #27   1/30/08 2:01:06PM   

jrmmaclassics

MMA Regular

jrmmaclassics Avatar

Career:37-18
Chips:
Who ever said Gomi is not a big draw is a complete Idiot, the amount of people who watch MMA in Japan outnumbers the USA, Dans White was trying to bring over the Japan market to the UFC and just lowballed it. Soon more and more UFC big name guys will be signing with other organizations. White is getting to greedy and forgetting about the fighters who made the sport as big as it is today.

Japan is a huge market for MMA and I personally would love to see Gomi in the UFC he is a great fighter and has never backed down from a fight, these guys are not supposed t fight for the peanuts White is offering them.

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1
Photo Attachment 2
Photo Attachment 3

Post #28   1/30/08 2:28:07PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,442-795
Chips:

Posted by jrmmaclassics

Who ever said Gomi is not a big draw is a complete Idiot, the amount of people who watch MMA in Japan outnumbers the USA, Dans White was trying to bring over the Japan market to the UFC and just lowballed it. Soon more and more UFC big name guys will be signing with other organizations. White is getting to greedy and forgetting about the fighters who made the sport as big as it is today.

Japan is a huge market for MMA and I personally would love to see Gomi in the UFC he is a great fighter and has never backed down from a fight, these guys are not supposed t fight for the peanuts White is offering them.

You know calling people idiots doesn't go over well here at all. Gomi isn't a big draw in the US. He is in Japan but that isn't the UFC's market. Now to say Dana is low balling the fighters is just BS. The fact is you have no clue what he offered Gomi or any other fighter. Most of the fighters that came over from pride have all said they are making a lot more money now in the UFC. I don't how you could call that greedy.

Yes Japan is a big market but you have to have a major TV deal for any of that to matter. That something the UFC doesn't have in Japan at this time. They have said many times they are working hard on it but Japan is a hard market to get in to, even harder now that Pride is associated with the UFC.

Last edited 1/30/08 6:50PM server time by telnights
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #29   1/30/08 5:29:53PM   

Kracker_Jap

BANNED

Kracker_Jap Avatar

Chips:

Posted by telnights

Posted by jrmmaclassics

You know calling people idiots doesn't go over well here at all. Gomi isn't a big draw in the US. He is in Japan but that isn't the UFC market. Now to say Dana is low balling the fighters is just BS. The fact is you have no clue what he offered Gomi or any other fighter. Most of the fighters that came over from pride have all said they are making a lot more money now in the UFC. I don't how you could call that greedy.

Yes Japan is a big market but you have to have a major TV deal for any of that to matter. That something the UFC doesn't have in Japan at this time. They have said many times they are working hard on it but Japan is a hard market to get in to, even harder now that Pride is associated with the UFC.

You are one of the great posters

Post #30   1/30/08 5:31:52PM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3