Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Anderson Silva will be the 1st to Stop Dan Henderson

Print  
  Page 3 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,337-741
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by ChokeUout

some good thoughts on this fight...here's mine:

First off, anyone who compares this fight to Henderson vs. Rampage, PLEASE DON'T! The fights are absolutely nothing alike.

Now then, The fight itself. I got alot to say, so here it goes:

I could actually see Anderson winning this in several ways. If this fight stays on the feet, then it's only a matter of time before Hendo goes down. Yes, Hendo has a great chin and a hard head, but He's never faced a stiker of the caliber of an Anderson Silva, and yeah, Hendo HAS faced some deadly strikers. However, I think Anderson's Technique, accuracy and Quickness Are Probably the best in MMA as far as stand up fighting is concerned. However, What impressed me about Silva, especially in the second franklin fight, is his stand up defence. He'll block 50% of what you throw at him, and dodge another 30%, which is why you see he's never been knocked out. Now, Hendo Has a Big right hand, and we all know, But Can he connect with silva? I personally don't think so. I think Silva Quickness and Defence makes it near impossible to connect with a big fight-ending shot. Morevoer with Silva's Quickness, I think he'll use that to keep the fight on his feet as much as possible. If he can do that, henderson will go down.

Henderson's strength is obviously his greco. He loves the clinch. The clinch will be the most intriging part of this fight: Henderson's Greco vs. Silva's Muy thai. Will hendo be able to get in close enough to silva to use it without getting his nose broken via knee to the face? Will silva be too quick for him? I'm gonna give Henderson the benefit of the doubt and say he'll be able to get him down at least once or twice. Once he's there, I don't know if he'll be able to finish Silva. Silva is VASTLY underrated on the ground, and is pretty good at advoiding damage if you wanna look at the marquart or franklin fights. He's good at sweeps and it's not easy to pass his guard (Please don't talk about the Lutter fight where Silva had two surgecally repaired knees). That being said, Henderson's JJ game is underrated too, But Seeing that they are both pretty good at BJJ, I don't see either ending this by sub, but I think Silva has the better chance of it. Yes, Hendo has only been subbed twice, but who did It? Big Nog and Lil Nog, Silva's Training Partners. Just throwing it out there...

I agree that this fight has the potential of going 5 rounds. I think Hippysmacker nailed it on the head though: If the fight DOES go 5 rounds, I don't see how silva doesn't inflict enough damage on Hendo not to come out on top, if not stop him. The one thing I think might play huge here is the mindstate. Anderson is the most humble fighter I've ever seen, and has said after every fight "I need to find ways to improve, I am far from perfect" or something to that extent. After the Franklin fight, he traveled to the US to Train in JUST wrestling for a month or so, and has been working JUDO with The All Brazilian Judo team. He truly believes every fight is dangerous, and trains his ass off as if he was an up-and-comer trying to earn his shot. Hendo on the other hand is ALWAYS deadly confident. He knows his strengths and there's not usually a question on what hendo will try to do. However, that might also be his weakness. Before the rampage fight, he was talking like he'd easily beat Rampage ("all i gotta do is go get the new belt"), and he's saying the same thing now ("I'm gonna easily beat silva up"). Now, the talk and the fight are two different things, but If someone walks into a fight against silva overconfident, It's not gonna be pretty.

Basically, the only possibility of henderson winning this fight IMO is By a UD. He'd have to take silva down, try to hold him there, and try to use enough GNP to win 3 rounds. I don't see him doing that. I think Silva's Stand up AND ground defence is too goo for that to Happen. I wouldn't se Stunned if silva pulled off an armbar or triangle off his back, either, and I would expect to see stand ups awarded due to silva not allowing him to pass guard. That being said, every round is started On the feet. Anderson has improved his takedown defense with his wrestling focus, and I don't see Henderson taking down silva enough to win this. ANother Key point, Dan has said he's willing to stand with silva, and if he does, silva will pick him apart. Even if Silva doesn't finish him on the feet, silva will win at least 3 rounds on the feet if given a chance.

It'll be a great fight, but I'm gonna say:

Silva by late round stoppage/UD.

THere, now I'm gonna soak my hands after typing all this

Great post. Good break down on the fight. I don't now what else could be added to that. Props are on the way!

Post #31   1/29/08 5:39:04AM   

Purge

Standup Guy

Purge Avatar

Career:562-312
Chips:
Anderson has the tools to get it done

Post #32   1/29/08 3:21:09PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,841-1,016
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by ChokeUout

Posted by fenderacoustic

Posted by ChokeUout

some good thoughts on this fight...here's mine:

First off, anyone who compares this fight to Henderson vs. Rampage, PLEASE DON'T! The fights are absolutely nothing alike.

Now then, The fight itself. I got alot to say, so here it goes:

I could actually see Anderson winning this in several ways. If this fight stays on the feet, then it's only a matter of time before Hendo goes down. Yes, Hendo has a great chin and a hard head, but He's never faced a stiker of the caliber of an Anderson Silva, and yeah, Hendo HAS faced some deadly strikers. However, I think Anderson's Technique, accuracy and Quickness Are Probably the best in MMA as far as stand up fighting is concerned. However, What impressed me about Silva, especially in the second franklin fight, is his stand up defence. He'll block 50% of what you throw at him, and dodge another 30%, which is why you see he's never been knocked out. Now, Hendo Has a Big right hand, and we all know, But Can he connect with silva? I personally don't think so. I think Silva Quickness and Defence makes it near impossible to connect with a big fight-ending shot. Morevoer with Silva's Quickness, I think he'll use that to keep the fight on his feet as much as possible. If he can do that, henderson will go down.

Henderson's strength is obviously his greco. He loves the clinch. The clinch will be the most intriging part of this fight: Henderson's Greco vs. Silva's Muy thai. Will hendo be able to get in close enough to silva to use it without getting his nose broken via knee to the face? Will silva be too quick for him? I'm gonna give Henderson the benefit of the doubt and say he'll be able to get him down at least once or twice. Once he's there, I don't know if he'll be able to finish Silva. Silva is VASTLY underrated on the ground, and is pretty good at advoiding damage if you wanna look at the marquart or franklin fights. He's good at sweeps and it's not easy to pass his guard (Please don't talk about the Lutter fight where Silva had two surgecally repaired knees). That being said, Henderson's JJ game is underrated too, But Seeing that they are both pretty good at BJJ, I don't see either ending this by sub, but I think Silva has the better chance of it. Yes, Hendo has only been subbed twice, but who did It? Big Nog and Lil Nog, Silva's Training Partners. Just throwing it out there...

I agree that this fight has the potential of going 5 rounds. I think Hippysmacker nailed it on the head though: If the fight DOES go 5 rounds, I don't see how silva doesn't inflict enough damage on Hendo not to come out on top, if not stop him. The one thing I think might play huge here is the mindstate. Anderson is the most humble fighter I've ever seen, and has said after every fight "I need to find ways to improve, I am far from perfect" or something to that extent. After the Franklin fight, he traveled to the US to Train in JUST wrestling for a month or so, and has been working JUDO with The All Brazilian Judo team. He truly believes every fight is dangerous, and trains his ass off as if he was an up-and-comer trying to earn his shot. Hendo on the other hand is ALWAYS deadly confident. He knows his strengths and there's not usually a question on what hendo will try to do. However, that might also be his weakness. Before the rampage fight, he was talking like he'd easily beat Rampage ("all i gotta do is go get the new belt"), and he's saying the same thing now ("I'm gonna easily beat silva up"). Now, the talk and the fight are two different things, but If someone walks into a fight against silva overconfident, It's not gonna be pretty.

Basically, the only possibility of henderson winning this fight IMO is By a UD. He'd have to take silva down, try to hold him there, and try to use enough GNP to win 3 rounds. I don't see him doing that. I think Silva's Stand up AND ground defence is too goo for that to Happen. I wouldn't se Stunned if silva pulled off an armbar or triangle off his back, either, and I would expect to see stand ups awarded due to silva not allowing him to pass guard. That being said, every round is started On the feet. Anderson has improved his takedown defense with his wrestling focus, and I don't see Henderson taking down silva enough to win this. ANother Key point, Dan has said he's willing to stand with silva, and if he does, silva will pick him apart. Even if Silva doesn't finish him on the feet, silva will win at least 3 rounds on the feet if given a chance.

It'll be a great fight, but I'm gonna say:

Silva by late round stoppage/UD.

THere, now I'm gonna soak my hands after typing all this

Why make excuses for Anderson in the Lutter fight? What about the fact that Lutter was gassed from cutting to 185? What about the elbows that many feel were illegal that Silva was dropping on Lutter's head to cinch the choke. Lutter was clearly winning that fight before the elbows to the top of the head. It happens. Don't make excuses. And why can't we use the Rampage/Hendo fight as a reference for how strong Hendo is or any other point we may take from that fight? Because we can't talk about anything that may cause you to see the glimmer of truth that Anderson Silva can be beat and that Dan Henderson just might be the guy to do it. PS, if it goes five rounds, Anderson will be ground to dust.

That being said, I Love Anderson Silva. I think he is pound-for-pound a better fighter than Hendo; but, as others have mentioned, Dan Henderson is a bad match up for Silva. I don't think your argument for Silva was compelling because you came off more like an Anderson fanboy than the unbiased commentator.

By the way, it's not polite to yell.

I see your new here, So I'll Be polite in hopes you'll adapt to this sites style and be a little less uptight in the future...

The Lutter fight: It's not an excuse, it's a well known fact. If you had watched any of anderson's fights prior to that fight (especially the non-UFC ones) you would have been like "What's wrong with Silva?" like I was when lutter was Passing like butter. Yes Lutter was dehydrated, but I think anyone who knows the game will agree that knees are extremely vital to keeping someone in the guard and from passing the guard. Anderson will not be like that for the Hendo fight, therefore, the fact he was slowed by that for the Lutter Fight is totally Irrealavent. That's Why I mention the Lutter fact, not to make an excuse, but in case someone clinches onto that as an argument. But it's cool, you probably misunderstood.

As for Comparing the Rampage fight to the silva fight? Yes, absolutely NOTHING to do with each other. Rampage and silva two different fighters in two different fights with two different stategies and two different styles. The fights will most likely be nothing alike, therefore, there's not much to compare. And by the way, if you wanna point out how strong Hendo is, It might not be a good idea to refrence a fight where he got controlled on the ground and the clinch, his own game, for the majority of the fight.

As far as your assumptions that I have some bias toward Silva, I think it's rather funny. Those Claims are Unfair, Unfounded, and Untrue. Silva can be beat, indeed, but I happen to believe Dan will not be that Person. You should learn to respect opinions More. I think if it goes 5 rounds, Silva will pick Dan apart, you think Dan will Ground Silva to Dust. I think Silva's a bad match for Dan, you think the other wy around. That's cool, to each their own. But as I learned when I got here, it's not appropriate on this site to label people a certain way based on their opinion. There are sites like sherdog which are perfectly accustomed for that behavior if you insist on engaging in it.

By the way, it's not polite to call people "fan boys".

Rampage didnt control the clinch dude, that was all hendo. Now granted with silva's and rampages past's to reference silva probably is stronger in the clinch than rampage. But still you cant simply ignore the fact that hendo did outmuscle rampage for quite a few rounds while being outweighed anywhere from 10 -20 pounds on the fight of the night.

thats the only bone i had to pick with your statement.

good post.

Post #33   1/29/08 6:08:43PM   

MMAJOEcom

Learning to Sprawl

Career:5-1
Chips:
This is going to be a great fight, how can anyone not like both fighters...seeing Hendo get KO'd would suck, but at the same time would be nice to witness an MMA milestone

Post #34   1/30/08 11:11:04PM   

Pride-Fighter

MMA Regular

Pride-Fighter Avatar

Career:392-266
Chips:
Anderson Silva has not fought a real opponent until now. This time he will get beaten by ko in the 4th.

Post #35   1/31/08 6:36:39AM   

JoeRoganPwnsMMA

Learning to Sprawl

JoeRoganPwnsMMA Avatar

Career:184-119
Chips:

Posted by tuvok500

However , it is phisically possible to not get KO !!

It's call " the Homer Simpsons syndrome " !! lol

If you follow the Simpsons you know what i talk about !!

lol good stuff.

Post #36   2/1/08 8:30:09AM   

Page 3 of 3     1     2     3