Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

What should i start with?

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

apg96

Learning to Sprawl

Career:12-2
Chips:
Im looking to get into MMA. I dont have any intention of competing but i am open to it later on. Anyways, im a small guy (128 lbs 5'10), i do lift and im in decent shape. Im tired of ppl writing me off b/c of my size, so i would like to get some confidence boost and also learn how to drop ppl a lot bigger than me. IN most case im not looking for a brawl, but i would like to be able to just shut some people up. Maybe some holds of something.

Anyway im in the PHX metro area (tempe) and there are a few places here offering boxing, muay thai, BJJ, and such. Which would be a good starting place for me. Would it be hard to start with muay thai and BJJ? Also to do that the places wants 120/ mo, seems like alot and just is muay thai is $85/ mo. Are these prices normal, it seems all the places around here are in that ball park.

Post #1   2/15/07 11:43:16PM   

richieb19

MMA Sensei

richieb19 Avatar

Career:239-153
Chips:
Don't take this the wrong way, but don't look towards fighting styles as a way to compensate for your size and lack of confidence. Personally, I love the fight game, and any competition in grappling and striking, but to be honest I will do all I can to avoid a fight. I know where you are coming from, you want to be the tough guy that no one wants to mess with, but with that rep will only come more people that actually want to confront you. If youre really serious about self-defence or competition, than by all means join a club... but if youre only doing this to try to instill confidence in yourself and fear in others, than instead, just learn not to take certain comments to heart.

Post #2   2/16/07 12:54:44AM   

apg96

Learning to Sprawl

Chips:
well i doing it for both reasons. It is kinda of funny that you say not to do it for confidence and everyone else incld. therapists say its ideal for building confidence. Im not looking to fight ppl, but to know how to fight if it was to happen.

Post #3   2/16/07 3:25:01AM   

FutureLWchamp

Learning to Sprawl

Career:244-196
Camp: Stomp Em Out
Chips:
im a small guy too n i dont have that prob cuz i have the confidence of a 7 footer lol. u cant let ur size keep u down man. training is good but u still gotta have the heart if ur planning on takin on bigger opponents.

Post #4   2/16/07 6:00:29AM   

crimethinc

MMA Regular

crimethinc Avatar

Career:81-61
Camp: Camp Baby Dumpster
Chips:

Posted by richieb19

Don't take this the wrong way, but don't look towards fighting styles as a way to compensate for your size and lack of confidence. Personally, I love the fight game, and any competition in grappling and striking, but to be honest I will do all I can to avoid a fight. I know where you are coming from, you want to be the tough guy that no one wants to mess with, but with that rep will only come more people that actually want to confront you. If youre really serious about self-defence or competition, than by all means join a club... but if youre only doing this to try to instill confidence in yourself and fear in others, than instead, just learn not to take certain comments to heart.

I agree with this 100% but since you asked a question, I will answer it. You mentioned boxing, muay thai, and BJJ. If you are seriously looking to fight competitively in the future I suggest taking those in that order. Muay Thai is a lot more intensive then just boxing. If you start with boxing there is less of a chance that you will be burned out on training within a month and you will also be able to transition into something like Muay Thai with a little striking knowledge as opposed to zero striking knowledge. You have to remember that these classes, especially Muay Thai aren't practicing strikes and sparring all the time. It's a LOT of conditioning. As far as BJJ if you have the means financially, and the will and stamina to do it, I would say cross train your boxing / Muay Thai and BJJ simultaneously. If not, it's OK to pick up BJJ later on although, again if you are looking to compete and you are a little guy BJJ might be where you really excel. I'm a better striker then grappler myself so a lot of guys might tell you the opposite but it comes down to what you are comfortable with and where your individual strengths lie.

As far as prices go, this is a business where you get what you pay for. At my gym if you cross train Kickboxing and Jiu Jitsu it could run you 140/ a month which isn't bad for both classes but if you fight for them and do well, they tear up your contract and you can train for free. You'r better off shelling out the extra money for quality training then going to some $10 a class karate studio that now offers MMA classes. Shopping for a gym is just like shopping for anything else. Do research, find out who the trainer is and what if any credentials he has and eventually you will find something that you can be happy with.

Post #5   2/16/07 6:46:47AM   

argile

MMA Regular

argile Avatar

Career:103-59
Camp: Kamikaze
Chips:
You surround yourself with the wrong friends if they want you think beating people up will give you confidence. It may but those aren't the kind of friends that stick around to long, they only cause trouble for you when their around. You are kinda small though for that height. Not being a dick but have you fill out yet into your adult size? if you wanna train for self defense do BJJ will give you some friends who prolly wont try to tell you to go hit someone. If you want to make people scared of you go lift and buy a punching bag and just sit in your room and fiend on the bag for while until your pissed and wanna hit someone.

Post #6   2/16/07 9:33:53PM   

apg96

Learning to Sprawl

Chips:
well im still growing. I go to the gym 3 days a week and i had a trainer make me a routine for getting bigger. No much its happening as far as growing out, i grow up.

Post #7   2/16/07 9:58:30PM   

crimethinc

MMA Regular

crimethinc Avatar

Chips:
This may sound like a condescending question and I don't mean it to be, but how old are you?

Post #8   2/17/07 7:19:37AM   

richieb19

MMA Sensei

richieb19 Avatar

Career:239-153
Chips:

Posted by crimethinc

Posted by richieb19

I agree with this 100% but since you asked a question, I will answer it. You mentioned boxing, muay thai, and BJJ. If you are seriously looking to fight competitively in the future I suggest taking those in that order. Muay Thai is a lot more intensive then just boxing. If you start with boxing there is less of a chance that you will be burned out on training within a month and you will also be able to transition into something like Muay Thai with a little striking knowledge as opposed to zero striking knowledge. You have to remember that these classes, especially Muay Thai aren't practicing strikes and sparring all the time. It's a LOT of conditioning. As far as BJJ if you have the means financially, and the will and stamina to do it, I would say cross train your boxing / Muay Thai and BJJ simultaneously. If not, it's OK to pick up BJJ later on although, again if you are looking to compete and you are a little guy BJJ might be where you really excel. I'm a better striker then grappler myself so a lot of guys might tell you the opposite but it comes down to what you are comfortable with and where your individual strengths lie.

As far as prices go, this is a business where you get what you pay for. At my gym if you cross train Kickboxing and Jiu Jitsu it could run you 140/ a month which isn't bad for both classes but if you fight for them and do well, they tear up your contract and you can train for free. You'r better off shelling out the extra money for quality training then going to some $10 a class karate studio that now offers MMA classes. Shopping for a gym is just like shopping for anything else. Do research, find out who the trainer is and what if any credentials he has and eventually you will find something that you can be happy with.

Just to add a bit to this post, it's important to shop around for a while before commiting to a club. I personally lucked out and found a small Judo club taught by one of the best players in Canada, and even better it's totally free. Now you may not get as lucky as me, but just make sure to look up who your instructor will be, cause theres no point in paying big bucks for a BJJ class taught at a McDojo.

Post #9   2/17/07 12:07:44PM   

apg96

Learning to Sprawl

Chips:
im 18

Post #10   2/17/07 3:14:09PM   

bayonetxwork

In Full Mount

bayonetxwork Avatar

Career:114-60
Camp: TUFFS Fight Club
Chips:
IMO, thats the wrong reason for getting into MMA, but on a different note, theres a lot of factors that go into finding a good gym. Check the schedules to see if you could make the classes you want to, look for a gym that has a one or two open mat days, the price, and the instructors. 120 is a reasonable price, thats the adult price, but since im still in High School, I get a discount

Post #11   2/17/07 4:55:59PM   

MonkeyPus

Learning to Sprawl

MonkeyPus Avatar

Career:688-428
Camp: Strikers Inc.
Chips:
Try out a bunch of different clubs. Most clubs will give you a free lesson or in some cases even a week. Pick which ever suits your personal needs. As far as styles ... do the same try boxing, BJJ, muy thai, etc. and see what you like.
I tried starting with muy thai and jiu jitsu, and burned myself out. I ended up boxing exclusively and never went to the other classes. I liked boxing more because classes were smaller and we sparred all the time. As time went on I started grappling more and more. I think its best to start with one style and move on to others once you start getting the hang of it. Don't overload yourself in the begining.

Last edited 2/17/07 5:07PM server time by MonkeyPus
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #12   2/17/07 5:06:39PM   

crimethinc

MMA Regular

crimethinc Avatar

Chips:

Posted by apg96

im 18

You probably aren't going to gain much more mass, no matter how much you work out. I'm an inch taller then you and about 40 pounds heavier and I am in no way, shape, or form a "big guy." If you are looking to train as a means of physical fitness, just find something you are comfortable with and could see yourself enjoying so you don't quit a month in. But if you are looking to compete it is almost essential to cross-train. Training at this level takes a lot of discipline and you may need more drive then just doing it to get back at guys who make fun of you.

Post #13   2/18/07 4:12:21AM   

SteedTheDeed

Standup Guy

SteedTheDeed Avatar

Career:786-501
Chips:
JUDO!! and muay thai

Post #14   2/27/07 5:28:02PM   

Ultimate_fighter

Banned

Career:270-165
Chips:
for a small size like you and yur height, I recomend some Submission fighting. Learn some stand-up. Thats why MMA was made for the smaller guy to beat the larger. Look at the good ol' gracies. Royce fought a man who was 6'2 400 pounds and beat him.

Post #15   3/3/07 5:07:04PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2