Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Nevada ups the ante on drug testing, including random testing during the year.

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Bemin

Touch gloves, and good fight!

Bemin Avatar

Career:140-118
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
Nevada Athletic Commission Executive Director Keith Kizer on Friday announced that the Commission has expanded steroid and drug testing for licensed fighters and those applying for licenses.

In addition to the testing performed on contestants on fight night, the Commission will require licensed fighters and licensing applicants to be tested at other times during the year.

In a memo issued to “All Nevada Licensees” dated Jan. 7, 2008, Chairman John Bailey noted that some fighters “...have become very sophisticated in the timing of taking prohibited substances,” which is why the Commission has instituted additional random
testing.

Link

Post #1   1/25/08 8:10:13PM   

Cobbs666

Standup Guy

Cobbs666 Avatar

Career:1,063-740
Camp: *TeaM SaTaN*
Chips:
well looks like sherk is out of a career now

Post #2   1/25/08 8:24:40PM   

loonytnt

MMA Sensei

loonytnt Avatar

Career:299-241
Camp: Diaz Fan Club
Chips:
test them everyday imo, mma looks bad when someones test is +

then you hear it all over, more tests the better

Post #3   1/25/08 8:24:43PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,360-1,218
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Suppose a foreign fighter has fought in Nevada before and maintains an active license there in case they fight there in the future but has been exclusively fighting and living in say Japan, and is not stateside.

If the NSAC calls for a random test, how does said fighter in Japan get tested?

Can they FedEx their urine to Nevada or will they be suspended for not showing up in person?

Post #4   1/25/08 8:41:20PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,643-1,469
Chips:
I think that random testing is great, but I think it would be difficult to enforce. There are several fighters that don't live in the US or travel around for training purposes. How many Quest facilities are there in Brazil? And if you can't test everyone equally, you can't test anyone at all.

Post #5   1/25/08 8:41:39PM   

Bemin

Bemin Avatar

Chips:
I am guessing if they call you for a random test, you best get to Nevada for it. If not they will pull your lisence and not allow you to fight, I imagine that something might be worked out with the promoter to possibly help with travel costs as I'm sure they don't want fights canceled because fighters couldn't afford the trip.

Post #6   1/25/08 8:52:41PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Chips:
I'd rather just not fight in Nevada, and only fight when the promoter holds a card in California or elsewhere if Nevada tried to make me travel to North America and take a piss test to keep my license active (if I were a foreign fighter). That's a few thousand dollars and a half week out of your schedule to remain active in 1 state.

Post #7   1/25/08 8:56:41PM   

juanez13

P4P

juanez13 Avatar

Career:575-288
Chips:
yea i wonder how they will deal with fightter that live outside the US, which are many, but however this is worked out, it wil defenately be a heads up for its fighters, since alot (more than people think) use steroids when they are not fighting, so either alot of these guys stop, or they might get caught halfway throughtout their cycle........remember some fighters like nick diaz, kendall grove, prob nate diaz, and various other fighter have mentioned that they smoke pot when they are not fighting, and if they follow through with testing throughout the year, alot of these guys might get caught with things like marijuana, cocaine, and other recreational drugs

Last edited 1/25/08 9:17PM server time by juanez13
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   1/25/08 9:16:47PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Chips:
And I'm just playing devils advocate in regards to this. Of course more testing is a good idea. I just hope they do it correctly in regards to fighters that are not local.

Post #9   1/25/08 9:24:28PM   

THE_DRiZzLE

MMA Legend

THE_DRiZzLE Avatar

Career:122-61
Chips:

Posted by Kpro

Suppose a foreign fighter has fought in Nevada before and maintains an active license there in case they fight there in the future but has been exclusively fighting and living in say Japan, and is not stateside.

If the NSAC calls for a random test, how does said fighter in Japan get tested?

Can they FedEx their urine to Nevada or will they be suspended for not showing up in person?

my guess would be and this is strictly a guess.. they would have the test done in Japan and the results sent to Nevada.. kind of like with the whole Tommy Morrison aids fiasco.. but yeah i believe the testing is best for the sport..

Last edited 1/26/08 12:17AM server time by the_drizzle
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #10   1/26/08 12:02:00AM   

roadking95th

In Cael We Trust!

roadking95th Avatar

Career:1,351-714
Chips:

Posted by Cobbs666

Not really. It's Nevada doing the testing, not California.

Posted by Kpro

I'd rather just not fight in Nevada, and only fight when the promoter holds a card in California or elsewhere if Nevada tried to make me travel to North America and take a piss test to keep my license active (if I were a foreign fighter). That's a few thousand dollars and a half week out of your schedule to remain active in 1 state.

I think Nevada would make it very hard on the fighter and the promoter if they tried this. They have a great amount of influence.

Remember with the whole Dana/Tito boxing fiasco? They said, after Tito blew them off, that they didn't want to hear about this fight happening ANYWHERE! I took that as a veiled threat of "don't f__k with us."

Post #11   1/26/08 1:26:40AM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by roadking95th

Posted by Cobbs666

Are you saying the test was botched? I think he missed his cycle and was pissed that he did, now he and alot of guys are in some trouble.

Post #12   1/26/08 1:44:31AM   

roadking95th

In Cael We Trust!

roadking95th Avatar

Career:1,351-714
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

Posted by roadking95th

Posted by Cobbs666

Are you saying the test was botched? I think he missed his cycle and was pissed that he did, now he and alot of guys are in some trouble.

Not sure exactly what happened. The CSAC reducing their sentence is what draws my curiosity. Because of this alone, I do not believe it is a slam dunk he juiced.

Post #13   1/27/08 12:35:26AM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,313-732
Chips:
Well I think this could clean the sport up but at the same time I think it needs to have all the details workout before hand. I don't want it to turn in to a witch hunt either.

Post #14   1/27/08 2:49:11AM   

Bemin

Bemin Avatar

Chips:
I think if the NSAC does do this you will see most other athletic commisions do it also. Best case scenario is the Commision's use local testing for fighters not in Nevada, but of course the big question would be how reliable are these outside testing agencies, without proper scrutiny on the Testing agencies themselves, a greased palm or two and a dirty fighter gets a pass.

Post #15   1/27/08 3:32:52AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2