Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

UFN 12 Fighter Payouts Announced

Print  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
The fighter payouts from UFN 12 last night have been obtained, the 18 fighters received a total disclosed amount of $232,000. The Fight, KO, and Submission Of The Night bonuses were not revealed.

Article

Post #1   1/24/08 2:05:43PM   

loonytnt

MMA Sensei

loonytnt Avatar

Career:299-241
Camp: Diaz Fan Club
Chips:
ufc needs to pay the fighters more....imo some of those fighters would get paid more if they fought somewhere else

lol you know the UFC made a ton off this one, give more to the people that make your shows imo

Post #2   1/24/08 2:12:07PM   

wapttn

MMeh?

wapttn Avatar

Career:254-148
Chips:
Sponsorships make up a huge amount of what they're making, I cant be sure, but i'd assume that with certain fighters.. sponsorship deals amount to more than their pay. Diaz is making as much as he is because he won the TUF contract.. its a perk. A lot of people rag on the ufc for underpaying their fighters, but the ufc is still rebuilding their financial position from their ambitious expansion and their purchase of PrideFC.. its probably financially difficult to pay them that much more. I also dont mind what the fighters are being paid as a base salary, because they earn so much more for performance, the "locker room bonuses", and fight bonuses for fotn or sub/KO means that the only fighters who are actually underpaid are the ones who underperform.. I think that's fair.

Maybe they would be better paid in another organization, but their opportunity for advancement is limited.. when you make it big in small organization, ur pay is still limited.. when you make it big in the ufc, you're making millions.

Post #3   1/24/08 2:24:53PM   

loonytnt

MMA Sensei

loonytnt Avatar

Chips:
in the long run yeah but, it takes a long time to do that look at fitch, in my mind the UFC is top dog, and if you make it to the UFC you should be makin a lot more then what they are payin

Post #4   1/24/08 2:31:40PM   

kevietre

Belt Contender

kevietre Avatar

Career:666-468
Chips:
Cory Hill did well for himself considering it was only his second fight I believe.

Post #5   1/24/08 2:37:50PM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Also keep in mind that by this being a TV event and not PPV, they're easily giving up at least $1-2 million in additional revenue, plus these UFNs tend to feature guys that aren't "name talent" that commands big paydays (Liddell, Hughes, GSP, etc.). Since they're still starting out or working their way up they haven't yet earned their 6-figure paydays.

Last edited 1/24/08 2:40PM server time by DCRage
Edit note/reason: Typos

Post #6   1/24/08 2:40:12PM   

DustinT

MMA Regular

DustinT Avatar

Career:1,540-837
Camp: The MMA Army
Chips:
grrr, mmajunkie always freezes up my work computer......i can't view.

Post #7   1/24/08 2:43:50PM   

loonytnt

MMA Sensei

loonytnt Avatar

Chips:
i say the ufc needs to pay me to watch it, lol im jokin UFC will pay mils for fighters 1 day so they need to pay less atm as they can, m1 proelite all the other places to fight will start payin more and more and its going to be payouts like boxing, 11mil a fight ish, that will be nice for me

im off to play WoW a bit i will be back later

Post #8   1/24/08 2:45:38PM   

roadking95th

In Cael We Trust!

roadking95th Avatar

Career:1,351-714
Chips:
By fighting in the UFC and being on free TV ( for those that made it on and for the possibility of making it on) they are able to pull in a lot for sponsorships. Plus with everything Wapttn and others have already stated.

Also consider none of these fighters are "locks" for top ten in their weight classes in the UFC. That means there is at least 50 fighters ahead of them. I think the pay was fair.

Post #9   1/24/08 2:46:06PM   

Shawn17

MMA Regular

Shawn17 Avatar

Career:733-483
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
This again proves what we already know. Dana White is an asshole.

Post #10   1/24/08 2:49:00PM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,763-1,032
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Shawn17

This again proves what we already know. Dana White is an asshole.

Because the UFC would be in such a better state if he hadn't of come along.......

Post #11   1/24/08 2:54:55PM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Career:1,450-1,133
Camp: The Puddle
Chips:

Posted by wapttn

Sponsorships make up a huge amount of what they're making, I cant be sure, but i'd assume that with certain fighters.. sponsorship deals amount to more than their pay. Diaz is making as much as he is because he won the TUF contract.. its a perk. A lot of people rag on the ufc for underpaying their fighters, but the ufc is still rebuilding their financial position from their ambitious expansion and their purchase of PrideFC.. its probably financially difficult to pay them that much more. I also dont mind what the fighters are being paid as a base salary, because they earn so much more for performance, the "locker room bonuses", and fight bonuses for fotn or sub/KO means that the only fighters who are actually underpaid are the ones who underperform.. I think that's fair.

Maybe they would be better paid in another organization, but their opportunity for advancement is limited.. when you make it big in small organization, ur pay is still limited.. when you make it big in the ufc, you're making millions.

Thanks for taking the time to write out your thoughts each time you post. It sure makes it easy for us illiterates to say "I Agree". Please keep up the good work and accept my as they won't allow me to give you props.

Last edited 1/24/08 3:07PM server time by Darnok
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #12   1/24/08 3:07:06PM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:796-457
Camp: MMA Worldwide
Chips:
I think win or loose the ufc should have some kind of minimum limit as to what they pay the fighters, mabeys around 10k. It sucks for guys who take 2-3 months to train then walk away with only 3-5k. I know fighters get sponsorships and endorsments ect, but the best ones are obviously offered to the best fighters, who get paid good money anyways. I cant see a guy like joe veres making to much off sponsorships, and i doubt he makes any of the ppv money.

Post #13   1/24/08 4:12:42PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by Darnok

Posted by wapttn

Thanks for taking the time to write out your thoughts each time you post. It sure makes it easy for us illiterates to say "I Agree". Please keep up the good work and accept my as they won't allow me to give you props.

agreed, i dont think ppl realize that mma is not that big. we are use to seeing huge paydays from nfl, nba, mlb, nhl, soccer, & boxin but mma is still relatively young. yea UFC does have a monopoly on it but it is no where near the other sports (in money earnings, salaries and fan base ) give it some time. they r pumpin most their cash back into ufc to expand, there's alot more financial things goin behind the scenes to get to the level of the other sports.

Post #14   1/24/08 5:18:25PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
You know, the same old debates pop up every time these stats come out, but you'll notice that the only fighters on there to receive 4 digit payouts are lesser known fighters. Could the UFC afford to pay big bucks to newbies? Sure, but what guarantees does the UFC have that there will be a return on investment if they up the ante? Everyone seems to think that the UFC is made of money, but there is a lot of overhead in a company like that, and I bet much of it is put right back into the company (keep in mind the UFC is still a privately held company without the benefit of investors). I personally believe that debut fighters with no clout can get paid more, but I also believe if you perform well, the UFC will treat you right and change your contract if its extended and give you bonuses out the ass. Dana has admitted that he has trouble denying fighters financial increases if they are good performers (notice I didn't relegate that specifically to winners), and any fighter who sticks to his guns will eventually be paid handsomely.

Post #15   1/25/08 3:05:17AM