Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC and additional Weight classes.

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Bemin

Touch gloves, and good fight!

Bemin Avatar

Career:140-118
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
We heard Rogan talking about it tonight and I couldn't agree more. As this sport progresses and we have more and more top athletes competing, the huge weight differences in the current divisions need to be adjusted. Its a big win for both the fans and for the UFC. More title fights, more champions, bigger stakes. I think we definitely need 2 more weight classes in the UFC, and I also believe that we will have them within a year.

Post #1   1/23/08 11:33:32PM   

loonytnt

MMA Sensei

loonytnt Avatar

Career:299-241
Camp: Diaz Fan Club
Chips:
145 class next TUF a lil inside info, hope it goes throw

Post #2   1/23/08 11:39:27PM   

jboi15

Learning to Sprawl

jboi15 Avatar

Career:351-263
Camp: az kikas
Chips:
yah i think at least one more

but not a lot cause it could end up like boxing with too many weight classes

Post #3   1/23/08 11:47:47PM   

Daddyprimetime

MMA Regular

Daddyprimetime Avatar

Career:457-264
Camp: Xtreme Couture
Chips:
I think the UFC needs a 195lbs weight class and a weight class somewhere between welter and middle weight.

Post #4   1/24/08 12:27:12AM   

UFCFIGHTFAN

Learning to Sprawl

Career:38-27
Chips:
I'm really kind of torn about this issue. It's the problem that Urijah Faber faces. He's not afraid to fight anyone but at some point strength and size has an effect on someone. I think that there should be a limit as to how much weight a person can cut in order to fight as well as how much that fighter can weigh on fight day. Maybe they already do, I don't know. If not what prevents a fighter from cutting 20 pounds to fight a naturally smaller fighter? Would adding a couple of more weight classes prevent this?

Post #5   1/24/08 12:50:31AM   

jhj07

Learning to Sprawl

Career:43-24
Camp: Spartan MMA
Chips:
I agree that a 145 lb. class is needed, but other than that I'm not sure where else you could go. I could possibly see one between WW and MW or one between MW and LHW, but other than that I think the only thing the UFC is go further down in weight, to 135 etc., which would take a lot of attention away from HW's...let's face it, anyone would rather watch a couple of small guys scrap it out than watch a couple of gorillas dance...I've seen more great 145 and 155 lb. fights than any other weight class as far as excitement.

Post #6   1/24/08 1:17:50AM   

killjoy

Banned

Career:26-10
Chips:
no additional weight classes, not enough fights in each weight class on each card anyway, they dont even show all the fights how can they add more classes, that would be b/s

Post #7   1/24/08 2:27:03AM   

themmachamp

MMA Regular

Career:4-1
Chips:
145 would be the best move, plenty of talent at that weight

Post #8   1/24/08 9:49:24AM   

MMAnomale

MMA Regular

MMAnomale Avatar

Career:155-77
Chips:
Bring on Urijah Faber, as well as getting Jens Pulver back, and many more fighters for the 145 pound class. Hell, I would like to see a Bantamweight class, there's just not enough fighters right now for them to justify it so they'll leave it to the WEC. Rogan specifically talked about the 20 pound gap between MW and LHW. There are so many fighters now, and with many doing it as a full-time job, the talent pool as exploded exponentially. If they have a Cruiserweight division or other divisions, we will see some fighters, such as GSP, going for the title in more than one division. It would definately be interesting.

Post #9   1/24/08 11:36:29AM   

icarus4321

Learning to Sprawl

icarus4321 Avatar

Career:273-153
Chips:
I wouldn't mind seeing one more weight class added to bridge the gap between 185 and 205, but I don't see the point in anything more. I think WEC has a great thing going with their 135 and 145 divisions, and they should not be brought over to the UFC.

Post #10   1/24/08 11:57:41AM   

rabbit915

In Full Mount

rabbit915 Avatar

Career:2,011-1,129
Chips:
I dont like the idea of fighters going for more than one belt unless they have completed exhausted the list of people who have earned a title shot in one weight class (Anderson Silva being the prime example before Henderson dropped weight). Too many weight classes would make this common. This is one of my big issues with boxing and the UFC really should not make the same mistake. The only thing i could agree with is the addition of a featherweight class but i do not want the other divisions reshuffled.

Post #11   1/24/08 11:58:15AM   

stock

Banned

Career:409-235
Chips:
I could not DISAGREE more with Joe Rogan's comments.

I think that 15 pounds between weight classes is more than enough for every fighter to find the best weight class for them. We already have (IMO) too many fighters jumping around to different weight classes (if not more than 2).

I think by adding another weight class or two, would just create more jumping around and make things more complicated for contendership between weight classes.

Just think, who the hell is anderson silva going to fight when you have guys jumping to (say) 177 or 192?

I am all for adding a featherweight class (ie.. 140 pounds) so long as we can maintain the current separation between the classes.

Post #12   1/24/08 1:32:13PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,946-1,103
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by stock

I think that 15 pounds between weight classes is more than enough for every fighter to find the best weight class for them. We already have (IMO) too many fighters jumping around to different weight classes (if not more than 2).

I think by adding another weight class or two, would just create more jumping around and make things more complicated for contendership between weight classes.

Just think, who the hell is anderson silva going to fight when you have guys jumping to (say) 177 or 192?

I am all for adding a featherweight class (ie.. 140 pounds) so long as we can maintain the current separation between the classes.

I agree with you, but one thing I would take into consideration is the percentage of weight between classes. 15 pounds might not be the best split at the lower weight classes. The difference between 145 and 155 is a significant percentage of the total weight.They already have 20 between 185-205, but the percentage their is less than at 145-155.I weigh 270, for me cutting 10 lbs of water id easy. One decent workout in the gym accomplishes it. I can put it right back on in 12 hours. For a guy at 155 to cut such a high percentage of their total body weight is much harder, I saw this in wrestling in high school. The Heavyweight limit was 245, and I was usually 255 walking around. The cut was easy. Our 145 guy walked around at 152 and it was a nightmare for him every time. Just something to consider.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #13   1/24/08 5:30:27PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,361-755
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by stock

100% I don't want to see fighters jumping weight classes every time they loss a fight and it also takes away from the title holders if there are 20 of you walking around. I would like to see a FW class. Plus I'm a huge fan of Jens.

Last edited 1/24/08 5:55PM server time by telnights
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #14   1/24/08 5:55:07PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
Something I want to add. I don't see the happening (beyond adding a lower class at the bottom) until the UFC gets bigger and has more fighters.

Think about it. Right now they have about enough fighters per class that most guys are kept busy fighting every 3-4 months. Add a weight class in between WW and MW and you've effectively thinned out each class.

This might not have an impact on fights overall, but I think it will have an impact on contenders for titles by effectively thinning them out.

Besides, let's say GSP walks around between 180 and 190. Why would he fight at a class in between WW and MW, when he can cut down to WW and be bigger than most guys?

I really don't think this is a good idea unless the number of fighters in the UFC explodes.

Post #15   1/24/08 6:16:34PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2