Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Another WWE Wrestler Joining MMA

Print  
  Page 6 of 6   <<   3     4     5     6  
Posted By Message

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:

Posted by telnights

Todays pro wrestling truly has nothing in common with wrestling. Your speaking of pro wrestlings roots which todays pro wrestling really has nothing in common with catch wrestling either. But if we were speaking of the past then yes your right but something tells me we were talking about the here and now. If we want to go back I can relate wrestling to every kind of grappling there is or ever was just about. I know Pro Wrestling has it true roots but its not even a shadow of what it once was.

I'm talking more of the people than the sport itself. Pro-wrestling itself is much different than amateur wrestling and catch wrestling. The people who do pro-wrestling are not so different. Some of the older pro-wrestlers still active today learned from old school catch wrestlers and are dangerous people, even if they're dressing up and choreographing fights.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #76   1/31/08 4:25:55AM   

CornishMMA

BANNED

CornishMMA Avatar

Career:497-280
Chips:
This thread saddens me

I think the only reason Dana White signed Brock is so that we have tons of threads like this where everyone gets really het up about "fake" wrestling and everything, id say nobody is right nobody is wrong, its makes perfect business sense to market Lesnar the way they are doing, being "deserving" doesnt come into it really, and we will see how good Brock can be come Saturday

Post #77   1/31/08 7:10:01AM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:

Posted by telnights

Posted by Svartorm
3. To those who say pro-wrestling and wrestling have nothing in common, you're wrong. Catch wrestling, which is basically American submission grappling, was the original pro-wrestling. It evolved over time because people would get bored by 3 hour matches, which were rather common in wrestling, so they started scripting matches, which were real, but had a pre-determined winner. It went from there, but some of the old school wrestlers like "Killer" Kowalski, Lou Thesz, and Frank Gotch would have eaten most MMA fighters alive in their primes. "Killer" Kowalski was actually famous for wrestling at such a torid pace, he'd make guys vomit during the match. Its a different animal than whats out their now, but pro-wrestlers are in fact athletes.

Todays pro wrestling truly has nothing in common with wrestling. Your speaking of pro wrestlings roots which todays pro wrestling really has nothing in common with catch wrestling either. But if we were speaking of the past then yes your right but something tells me we were talking about the here and now. If we want to go back I can relate wrestling to every kind of grappling there is or ever was just about. I know Pro Wrestling has it true roots but its not even a shadow of what it once was.

NOTHING IN COMMON? You couldn't be anymore wrong.

Kurt Angle, watch his matches. You can't tell me that his wrestling style comes from out of nowhere and has nothing to do with his olympic background

Everything he does has an amateur background too it besides the Moonsaults off the top rope and SOME of the suplexes. Have the shit he does in his pro wrestling match, you could easily do in an amateur wrestling match.

Post #78   1/31/08 7:48:30PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,313-732
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by telnights

I'm talking more of the people than the sport itself. Pro-wrestling itself is much different than amateur wrestling and catch wrestling. The people who do pro-wrestling are not so different. Some of the older pro-wrestlers still active today learned from old school catch wrestlers and are dangerous people, even if they're dressing up and choreographing fights.

I don't disagree some of the people in Pro-wrestling have back grounds in amateur wrestling and catch wrestling. I agree with your hole first post but number 3. When I say they have nothing in common I'm speaking of todays Pro-wrestling itself. But everything else in your post I agree your dead on.

Post #79   1/31/08 7:57:02PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,313-732
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Posted by telnights

Posted by Svartorm
3. To those who say pro-wrestling and wrestling have nothing in common, you're wrong. Catch wrestling, which is basically American submission grappling, was the original pro-wrestling. It evolved over time because people would get bored by 3 hour matches, which were rather common in wrestling, so they started scripting matches, which were real, but had a pre-determined winner. It went from there, but some of the old school wrestlers like "Killer" Kowalski, Lou Thesz, and Frank Gotch would have eaten most MMA fighters alive in their primes. "Killer" Kowalski was actually famous for wrestling at such a torid pace, he'd make guys vomit during the match. Its a different animal than whats out their now, but pro-wrestlers are in fact athletes.

NOTHING IN COMMON? You couldn't be anymore wrong.

Kurt Angle, watch his matches. You can't tell me that his wrestling style comes from out of nowhere and has nothing to do with his olympic background

Everything he does has an amateur background too it besides the Moonsaults off the top rope and SOME of the suplexes. Have the shit he does in his pro wrestling match, you could easily do in an amateur wrestling match.

I don't even know how to reply to that. Your talking about Kurt doing a wrestling moves off the top ropes and saying thats related to wrestling just because its a wrestling move? They also smack people with chairs, tables, and everything else under the sun that doesn't mean its related to furniture movers.

Post #80   1/31/08 8:13:55PM   

iwannabesedated

banned

iwannabesedated Avatar

Career:575-327
Chips:
I think ill just wait and see how Brock does in his debut.I havent watched pro wrestling since i was 9 or 10.I wouldve never know who Brock Lesnar even was if i didnt play the wwe video games before.And i have never seen this Lashley before in my life. just cause the outcome of a wwe match is planned or setup..those dudes still take beating.Where a MMA fighter may only fight 3 to 4 times a year these guys are out on the road wrestling at least 1 or 2 times a week.So yeah i consider them to be athletes and pretty tough dudes for the most part hell the majority of wrestlers that have died if you look died from painkillers and such..So i think their bodies go thru more abuse than mma guys..BUt i dont have experience in Pro wrestling or MMA...im just a dude that likes to watch people fight...and drink with my homies

Post #81   1/31/08 8:47:12PM   

rabbit915

In Full Mount

rabbit915 Avatar

Career:2,011-1,129
Chips:
I think people miss are missing the point about WWE wrestlers joining MMA. I dont dislike them because they were in the WWE. I dislike people who get pushed too far along too early because they are big names from the WWE. WWE wrestlers are in great shape (albeit usually with steroids) and therefore usually are great examples of people to start training MMA. However, people with one win are not UFC caliber yet and need to go through the processes of gaining experience and respect just like everyone else. If Lashley does that and is successful, i have no problems with him fighting the best in the world.

Post #82   2/1/08 1:15:28AM   

Page 6 of 6   <<   3     4     5     6