Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Another WWE Wrestler Joining MMA

Print  
  Page 4 of 6     1     2     3     4     5     6  
Posted By Message

rcg916

He's Back...

rcg916 Avatar

Career:523-269
Chips:

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

Ok yeah, it i s scripted, but fake at the same time. Yes some wrestlers will actually take a real (but accidental) punch but 98% of the time u can see em' caressing the other guy's face and stomping on the ground to make the noise. Sorry but that's called fake in my book. oh and btw, the scripting got waaaay shittier with the years.

Have you ever trained? Didnt think so. You couldnt be more wrong man. This isnt 1985 bro, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Posted by NatedawgThaM

This wrestling bashing is out of hand. First off, wrestlings not fake, IT'S SCRIPTED!!! You take a slam in the ring and see how "fake" it feels. A lot of pro wrestlers ARE TOUGHER then MMA fighters because they wrestle every single week through pain and injuries WEEK AFTER WEEK. You see all these MMA fighters drop out of fights because they sprained or broke something. Wrestlers wrestle with them injuries week after week.

Do You Guys Not Know BEFORE Bobby Lashley went into the WWE, he was trained with JON FITCH, JOSH KOSCHECK, AND MICK SWICK at American Kickboxing Academy?

Well said. They definitely dont know anything about the sport right now.....

Last edited 1/26/08 1:04PM server time by rcg916
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #46   1/26/08 1:01:44PM   

D0wnUnd6e6r

Don't Eat The Yellow Snow

D0wnUnd6e6r Avatar

Career:1,973-1,091
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by rcg916

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

Ok yeah, it i s scripted, but fake at the same time. Yes some wrestlers will actually take a real (but accidental) punch but 98% of the time u can see em' caressing the other guy's face and stomping on the ground to make the noise. Sorry but that's called fake in my book. oh and btw, the scripting got waaaay shittier with the years.

Have you ever trained? Didnt think so. You couldnt be more wrong man. This isnt 1985 bro, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Iv'e been training for 4 years now... don't know what that has anything to do the fact that i'm saying wrestlers don't actually punch each other in the face, wich im still pretty sure i'm right about. I know a f*cking slam hurts and said nothing about slams being fake. And yes most of the time they act bad and u clearly see them not hitting each other in the face. Whataya want me to tell ya, it's what alot of people see.

Post #47   1/26/08 1:40:02PM   

JimiMak

WarWagon Never Die!

JimiMak Avatar

Career:454-333
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
the choreography has actually gotten much better. Much less fake punching and more acrobatics and slams. It's not fake it's partially choreographed w/ a predetermined winner and a few spots. The rest is all improve and from accidentally punching someone to getting your spine crushed cuz the guy did a piledriver wrong, "fake" is def not the word to describe someone doing a backwards flip off a ladder onto the concrete.

Post #48   1/26/08 3:01:19PM   

rcg916

He's Back...

rcg916 Avatar

Career:523-269
Chips:

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

Iv'e been training for 4 years now...

Was talking about being trained in Pro Wrestling.

Jimi is dead on.

I just need to learn to stay out of these threads, its tough to read from the misinformed...

Post #49   1/26/08 3:20:04PM   

Naturaldisaster

MMA Sensei

Naturaldisaster Avatar

Career:703-452
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

Posted by Naturaldisaster

Posted by kevietre

Wrestling is just one aspect of the game. You could be the best wrestler in the world but unless you can transition that to benefit you in the game of mixed martial arts then it's useless.

all I have to say is Matt Hughes.....nuff said

Matt hughes isnt one dimensional dude. He has great jui-jutsu and limited boxing skills(lol)

Kevietre is right in his statement

Matt was very one dimensional at first. He trained nothin but wrestling until like his 20th fight. Matt isnt one demensional now but He was. SO it proves that wrestlers can do good in mma. I hope Lashley does great in mma and makes all of u that are bashin him look like idiots

Post #50   1/26/08 9:10:46PM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

Posted by kevietre

Wrestling is just one aspect of the game. You could be the best wrestler in the world but unless you can transition that to benefit you in the game of mixed martial arts then it's useless.

all I have to say is Matt Hughes.....nuff said

Matt hughes isnt one dimensional dude. He has great jui-jutsu and limited boxing skills(lol)

Kevietre is right in his statement

Matt was very one dimensional at first. He trained nothin but wrestling until like his 20th fight. Matt isnt one demensional now but He was. SO it proves that wrestlers can do good in mma. I hope Lashley does great in mma and makes all of u that are bashin him look like idiots

Wrong IMO, Matt Hughes is so one dimensional. All he is, is LNP/GNP. If he can't LNP or GNP, he's not going to beat you. His BJJ is only good in guard so he can't get tapped on top. He has no stand up as BJ and GSP completely owned him on the feet in all there fights against him. GSP proved if Matt Hughes can't out wrestle you, he's not going to beat you. Which is why I thinks guys like Kos, Fitch, and Diego would own him.

Nevertheless Bobby Lashley trained at American Kickboxing Academy before joining the WWE. So he will be a monster.

Last edited 1/26/08 9:33PM server time by Natedawgtham
2 total post edits

Post #51   1/26/08 9:14:56PM   

jhj07

Learning to Sprawl

Career:43-24
Camp: Spartan MMA
Chips:
I really don't understand all the hate towards Lashley. I give him props, the guy's got the balls to take his career in a different direction. If he succeeds, great...if he fails, hey, he gave it a shot.

You people talk like he's signed with the UFC or something...he's just now decided to become an MMA fighter. I guarantee he could handle some people in the cage, and given the time to learn and develop his game he could become a beast. Look at Kos...the guy came into TUF with almost NOTHING but wrestling skill, and he's improved quicker than anyone I've ever seen. Who says Lashley can't do the same?

Post #52   1/28/08 12:35:24AM   

LayinFrame

dont taze me bro.

LayinFrame Avatar

Career:118-108
Camp: UHF Supplies
Chips:
I dont even know how you can say wwe and mma in the same sentence. Scripted wrestling is basicly a big soap opera, its garbage imo. I am not putting down there talent, nor what it takes to do that sort of thing you have to be tough. MMA is in a whole diffrent category, then a "wrestler". wow so you can do a backflip off a post, i could do that when i was 15 and weighed 160 pounds, to make it look real takes talent. What doesnt take talent is getting drilled in the face with elbows and hammerfists, while maintaining composure, to last 3 or 5 rounds, thats heart and years of training. If you want to go into mma from a wwe standpoint you need to start taking fights in underground leagues, and work your way up, or you wil just get pummled, as you will see with lesnar and mir.

dont make me choke on my words

Post #53   1/28/08 4:56:04AM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,337-741
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I think some people are confused about the difference from Wrestling and PRO Wrestling. There are 3 main types of Wrestling Sombo, Greco-Roman, and Freestyle. Some people think there is some type of connection between PRO wrestling and wrestling when there is not. I was a 2 time state champ and collegiate wrestler out of Oklahoma State University for 2 years. I spent most of my life wrestling and I promise you there is no connection between PRO wrestling and wrestling other than the name. Now some of the PRO wrestlers coming over could make good fighters due to there wrestling backgrounds but I in no way think their PRO wrestling background will help them in the cage. Some people are bashing guys because of their PRO wrestling back ground with out looking at there wrestling back ground. But if you take your avg PRO wrestler like John Cena and had him try to come over to MMA he would get owned. Your avg PRO wrestler has no place in MMA and I think thats where the problem lies. I think Bobby Lashley and Lesnar both can do good in MMA but I don't think PRO wrestling has anything to do with that.

Heres how I look at it.
When a wrestler or fighter is insured he is covered as a athlete. When a PRO wrestler is insured he is cover as a stuntman. I think that says it all.

Last edited 1/28/08 5:56PM server time by telnights

Post #54   1/28/08 5:52:15PM   

tberg420

Standup Guy

tberg420 Avatar

Career:1,578-861
Chips:
Word from my sources is that Lashley has already lost a lot of muscle mass. Whether that means that he used steroids or not would make for a great debate. I do know that two years ago, he was forced off of the WWE's Great American Bash because of something to do with his liver. It was hinted that it was caused by steroids. Take it for what it's worth, I suppose.

Post #55   1/28/08 8:03:07PM   

Leland

Standup Guy

Leland Avatar

Career:92-44
Camp: Polk Fight Club
Chips:
I used to wrestle at some events in Florida. Your body takes a hell of a beating. Alot more than a MMA fighter. Sure, no knees to the face, but continuous falls over and over take a huge toll on your body. In most pro wrestling events the matches don't end quick like a sub/ko can in MMA, you take more constant damage over time in a wrestling match. I definitely see a pro wrestler being a possible threat in MMA with the right training of course. I'm not knocking Brock Lesnar (or lashley) until I see them fight some competition. At least Brock went to UFC, he will have some real tests in UFC.

Last edited 1/29/08 1:17PM server time by leland
2 total post edits

Post #56   1/29/08 1:13:52PM   

THE_DRiZzLE

MMA Legend

THE_DRiZzLE Avatar

Career:122-61
Chips:

Posted by Leland

I used to wrestle at some events in Florida. Your body takes a hell of a beating. Alot more than a MMA fighter. Sure, no knees to the face, but continuous falls over and over take a huge toll on your body. In most pro wrestling events the matches don't end quick like a sub/ko can in MMA, you take more constant damage over time in a wrestling match. I definitely see a pro wrestler being a possible threat in MMA with the right training of course. I'm not knocking Brock Lesnar (or lashley) until I see them fight some competition. At least Brock went to UFC, he will have some real tests in UFC.

i would see the over abundance of damage to the body from Pro Wrestling being a negative thing imo.. after a while that's gonna take it's toll on the body no matter who you are.. you may chalk it up to toughness yeah, but in the end i see it more of a problem than actually helping in any way..

Post #57   1/30/08 2:33:19AM   

mmadb

MMADB.com

mmadb Avatar

Career:625-342
Chips:

Posted by telnights

I think some people are confused about the difference from Wrestling and PRO Wrestling. There are 3 main types of Wrestling Sombo, Greco-Roman, and Freestyle. Some people think there is some type of connection between PRO wrestling and wrestling when there is not. I was a 2 time state champ and collegiate wrestler out of Oklahoma State University for 2 years. I spent most of my life wrestling and I promise you there is no connection between PRO wrestling and wrestling other than the name. Now some of the PRO wrestlers coming over could make good fighters due to there wrestling backgrounds but I in no way think their PRO wrestling background will help them in the cage. Some people are bashing guys because of their PRO wrestling back ground with out looking at there wrestling back ground. But if you take your avg PRO wrestler like John Cena and had him try to come over to MMA he would get owned. Your avg PRO wrestler has no place in MMA and I think thats where the problem lies. I think Bobby Lashley and Lesnar both can do good in MMA but I don't think PRO wrestling has anything to do with that.

Heres how I look at it.
When a wrestler or fighter is insured he is covered as a athlete. When a PRO wrestler is insured he is cover as a stuntman. I think that says it all.

You know, still to this day I watch pro wrestling, I'm not proud of it but I can admit it because I have an unbelievable respect for what pro wrestlers put their bodies through on a daily basis to do what they do. Most people can't look past the fact that the outcome is pre-determined or that none of the striking is for real (for the most part). As much respect as I have for pro wrestlers I realize that none of this really translates into anything MMA related but both Lesnar and Lashley are not simply pro wrestlers so you just shouldn't automatically dismiss them as crap because they happened to be pro wrestlers. I mean, I'm picking Mir over Lesnar myself because in this instance I think experience > physical superiority.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is the comment I quoted above is how all the people who automatically dismiss anyone who is looked at as a pro wreslter need to look at things.

You have to remember that it's not like it's Al Snow trying to come do MMA. Lesnar and Lashley have decorated amateur wrestling background, are impressive physical specimens (steroids or not) and are both fairly young with lots of time to train and improve.

Post #58   1/30/08 9:36:53AM   

CornishMMA

BANNED

CornishMMA Avatar

Career:497-280
Chips:

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

Posted by CornishMMA

LOL at the MMA snobbery with all of this stuff

Its sad yuo guys have to mock guys like this making out they have no chance of success in MMA, they would always have a very good base in wrestling so wtf is the need for comments like "god help us all" is totally beyong me

Also to say this guy has no skills and what the hell is he doing etc like kevitere said is pretty much not reading the article, it said he has STARTED training mma, why is he not allowed to do this just cos he was in WWE?

MMA snobbery at its best, i really wanna see Brock shut up the haters now

Just wait for it, brock will get schooled

See its posts and people like this that have me now desperately wanting Brock to beat the crap out of Mir

Stop being ignorant to WWE wrestlers real wrestling skills people, they are well physically built as well so them starting to train striking and BJJ is no different than someone like Downunder starting training, well theres an obvious difference in that they can gain success whereas he needs to keyboard warrior it up all the time!

Post #59   1/30/08 10:23:11AM   

TNunley

Belt Contender

TNunley Avatar

Career:120-77
Camp: Team Arse Kickers
Chips:
I just want to say, if this guy wants to start training MMA, that's great. It shows he has heart and a competitive spirit.

To the guys talking about how professional wrestlers are tougher than MMA fighters is like comparing apples to oranges. I will agree that these guys have probably been dealt a lot more punishment as far as slams go than the average MMA fighter, and possibly more than most professional MMA fighters. The fact of the matter though is that being punched and kicked in the face and body is a little bit different than being slammed. Hell even being slammed in MMA is different than being slammed in the WWE.

Slams in the WWE are choreographed and scripted... not saying their bodies don't take punishment, because they obviously do. The difference is, in WWE you are being slammed as part of the show, and in MMA (say against someone like Rampage) you are being slammed to be hurt. A slam is completely different in MMA than WWE. In WWE, they are trying to do minimal damage to put on a better show, in MMA they are trying to do maximum damage to avoid being damaged themselves. Not to mention, even if they spent their entire careers slamming people in WWE, it would be different than MMA. No MMA fighter is going to assist you in slamming them. Irregardless, unless you face a fighter like Rampage the slams probably will not be a big deal. So to argue about which slam is worse is pointless anyway.

There are no grazing accidental punches that occur in WWE that are even comparable to a devastating combo of looping punches by Liddel, or a High kick to the neck by Cro Cop a fighter might experience in MMA. So to act as though a WWE wrestler transitioning into MMA is prepared for similar punishment without extensive amounts of sparring is just crazy.

Either way, I'll say it again... I think it's cool that some of these guys are transitioning over to MMA. I don't feel just because they were top dogs in the WWE, that they could immediately transition into an MMA world champion. So it doesn't bother me that they transition them, and I'd be open to watching them. The biggest part of what bothers me though is Lesnar. Some guys spend a better majority of their prime fighting their way into the UFC. Lesnar gets into the UFC after just 1 fight in K-1. That's what bothers me about the match-up. What new up and comer probably deserved it more than he did... just because he is a WWE celebrity.

I'm not arguing the skills these guys probably have in wrestling, because I'm sure they are great. I'm just arguing a point someone tried to make about how these guys are tougher than top professional MMA fighters.

Post #60   1/30/08 11:29:26AM   

Page 4 of 6     1     2     3     4     5     6