Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Another WWE Wrestler Joining MMA

Print  
  Page 3 of 6     1     2     3     4     5     6  
Posted By Message

kevietre

Belt Contender

kevietre Avatar

Career:666-469
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by kevietre

After Mir makes an example out of Lesnar these pro wrestlers will learn you can't use steel chairs in MMA. Sure this guys a physical speciemen but he has no technique, skill, or attributes in the world of MMA.

Well, if you don't like the negative attention MMA gets with these WWE crossovers, then that's fine...but to say that being a national amateur wrestling champion has no merit is naive.

I said he was a pro wrestler. I never critized his amateur wrestling ability which by the way he was the champ 8 years ago!!!!! Its not like he just got out of winning the NCAA its been a long time since he competed in it.

Post #31   1/24/08 10:31:03AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,787-1,542
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by kevietre

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by kevietre

After Mir makes an example out of Lesnar these pro wrestlers will learn you can't use steel chairs in MMA. Sure this guys a physical speciemen but he has no technique, skill, or attributes in the world of MMA.

Well, if you don't like the negative attention MMA gets with these WWE crossovers, then that's fine...but to say that being a national amateur wrestling champion has no merit is naive.

I said he was a pro wrestler. I never critized his amateur wrestling ability which by the way he was the champ 8 years ago!!!!! Its not like he just got out of winning the NCAA its been a long time since he competed in it.

Your exact words were "he has no technique, skill, or attributes in the world of MMA." The last time I checked, great amateur wrestlers have done extremely well in MMA. I don't see the elapsed time being that big of a deal...he continued to wrestle in the military and is still in great shape . Besides training in the other aspects of MMA, the only actual problem I see is for him trying to pass a drug test.

Post #32   1/24/08 2:58:52PM   

tlangley

MMA Regular

tlangley Avatar

Career:425-240
Chips:
If he'll be any good at it or not. it's still good for the world of MMA. There's a heck of alot of fans in WWE

Post #33   1/24/08 5:22:48PM   

stock

Banned

Career:409-235
Chips:

Posted by THE_DRiZzLE

what i'm wondering is how many of these WWE guys and the likes juice up? and if so, how much of a part that may play in trying to cross over into MMA.. just a thought..

I would say it is probably a similar proportion to that of the UFC fighters.

Just different types of steroids and different cycling patterns.

Post #34   1/24/08 6:18:02PM   

chubbud22

In Full Mount

chubbud22 Avatar

Career:642-418
Chips:
Lesner is not just a wwe wrassler. He was a 4 time all american also. That should count for something.

Post #35   1/24/08 8:03:16PM   

kevietre

Belt Contender

kevietre Avatar

Chips:
Wrestling is just one aspect of the game. You could be the best wrestler in the world but unless you can transition that to benefit you in the game of mixed martial arts then it's useless.

Post #36   1/24/08 9:09:33PM   

Naturaldisaster

MMA Sensei

Naturaldisaster Avatar

Career:703-452
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:

Posted by kevietre

Wrestling is just one aspect of the game. You could be the best wrestler in the world but unless you can transition that to benefit you in the game of mixed martial arts then it's useless.

all I have to say is Matt Hughes.....nuff said

Post #37   1/24/08 9:31:30PM   

tapoutking28

Learning to Sprawl

tapoutking28 Avatar

Career:328-268
Camp: MAYHEM MONKEYS!!!!!!
Chips:
I am sick of people bashing pro wrestlers. just because they were in worked matches, in case any of you forgot some of the best mma fighter in japan have done worked matches before .

Post #38   1/24/08 10:19:11PM   

kevietre

Belt Contender

kevietre Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Naturaldisaster

Posted by kevietre

Is that the guy who verbally tapped out to GSP?

Post #39   1/25/08 5:07:24PM   

ThaAxeMurderer7

MMA Sensei

ThaAxeMurderer7 Avatar

Career:1,277-814
Chips:
I think this is only the beginning. We are probably going to see more of the WWE wrestlers with amateur backgrounds jump ship to MMA. It would be interesting to see how somebody like Shelton Benjamin, who was a team mate of Brock Lesnar at University Of Minnesota, would do. I think as MMA gets more popular, this little trend is going to continue.

Post #40   1/25/08 5:57:27PM   

Naturaldisaster

MMA Sensei

Naturaldisaster Avatar

Career:703-452
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:

Posted by kevietre

Posted by kevietre

Is that the guy who verbally tapped out to GSP?

yeah and it would also be the guy that beat GSP, Royce Gracie, FRank Trigg (Twice), carlos newton (Twice), Sean Sherk, BJ Penn, chris Lytle, and many others. so yeah Wrestlers can do extremely well in mma

Post #41   1/25/08 10:31:47PM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:
This wrestling bashing is out of hand. First off, wrestlings not fake, IT'S SCRIPTED!!! You take a slam in the ring and see how "fake" it feels. A lot of pro wrestlers ARE TOUGHER then MMA fighters because they wrestle every single week through pain and injuries WEEK AFTER WEEK. You see all these MMA fighters drop out of fights because they sprained or broke something. Wrestlers wrestle with them injuries week after week.

Do You Guys Not Know BEFORE Bobby Lashley went into the WWE, he was trained with JON FITCH, JOSH KOSCHECK, AND MICK SWICK at American Kickboxing Academy?

Lashley would be a beast. He could easily be a contender in whatever company he goes too. GOOD LUCK BOBBY!!!

Last edited 1/26/08 12:28AM server time by Natedawgtham
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #42   1/26/08 12:28:04AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,878-1,047
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by kevietre

Matt hughes isnt one dimensional dude. He has great jui-jutsu and limited boxing skills(lol)

Kevietre is right in his statement

Post #43   1/26/08 2:47:33AM   

D0wnUnd6e6r

Don't Eat The Yellow Snow

D0wnUnd6e6r Avatar

Career:2,023-1,136
Chips:

Posted by CornishMMA

LOL at the MMA snobbery with all of this stuff

Its sad yuo guys have to mock guys like this making out they have no chance of success in MMA, they would always have a very good base in wrestling so wtf is the need for comments like "god help us all" is totally beyong me

Also to say this guy has no skills and what the hell is he doing etc like kevitere said is pretty much not reading the article, it said he has STARTED training mma, why is he not allowed to do this just cos he was in WWE?

MMA snobbery at its best, i really wanna see Brock shut up the haters now

Just wait for it, brock will get schooled

Post #44   1/26/08 8:27:39AM   

D0wnUnd6e6r

Don't Eat The Yellow Snow

D0wnUnd6e6r Avatar

Career:2,023-1,136
Chips:

Posted by NatedawgThaM

This wrestling bashing is out of hand. First off, wrestlings not fake, IT'S SCRIPTED!!! You take a slam in the ring and see how "fake" it feels. A lot of pro wrestlers ARE TOUGHER then MMA fighters because they wrestle every single week through pain and injuries WEEK AFTER WEEK. You see all these MMA fighters drop out of fights because they sprained or broke something. Wrestlers wrestle with them injuries week after week.

Do You Guys Not Know BEFORE Bobby Lashley went into the WWE, he was trained with JON FITCH, JOSH KOSCHECK, AND MICK SWICK at American Kickboxing Academy?

Lashley would be a beast. He could easily be a contender in whatever company he goes too. GOOD LUCK BOBBY!!!

Ok yeah, it i s scripted, but fake at the same time. Yes some wrestlers will actually take a real (but accidental) punch but 98% of the time u can see em' caressing the other guy's face and stomping on the ground to make the noise. Sorry but that's called fake in my book. oh and btw, the scripting got waaaay shittier with the years.

Last edited 1/26/08 8:31AM server time by D0wnUnd6e6r
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #45   1/26/08 8:29:53AM   

Page 3 of 6     1     2     3     4     5     6