Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC 82: Jon Fitch vs. Chris Wilson likely to fight (Exclusive)

Print  
Posted By Message

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
With Akihiro Gono out with a hand injury, MMAmania.com has learned that Chris Wilson (13-3) might step up to face top welterweight contender, Jon Fitch (15-2), at UFC 82: “Pride of a Champion” on March 1 at the Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio.

It would mark the Octagon debut for the red-hot Team Quest fighter if and when bout agreements are finalized.

Wilson is a veteran of the International Fight League (IFL) and Bodog Fight. He has strung together four straight wins against solid competitors such as Rory Markham, Jay Heiron and Derrick noble during that stretch.

He’s a tough guy who will be thrown in the deep end against an experienced UFC veteran like Fitch in his Octagon debut. It’s an incredible opportunity, however, to make an instant splash in the organization much like Houston Alexander did when he burst onto the scene to dash the title chances of Keith Jardine.

Fitch, however, is undefeated (7-0) in the Octagon since his debut in 2005. He has also not lost a professional fight since 2002 — more than five years. His rise to the top of the division has been long and hard and it didn’t get much easier with this fight … it’s dangerous.

In the recent past, we’ve called for Fitch to take on Karo Parisyan and Marcus Davis, who are top guys and well-known among fans. Those fights are not going to happen in the immediate future. Therefore, we’ll have to just sit tight and hang on for the ride.

This should actually be a tough fight for both guys if the Wilson who appeared in the footage that I’ve seen shows up in Ohio in top form.

link

Post #1   1/22/08 3:58:36PM   

Styles

Standup Guy

Styles Avatar

Career:373-223
Chips:
That is interesting.... Wilson is a tough guy, but I see Fitch taking this one to the bank.

Post #2   1/22/08 4:03:26PM   

wapttn

MMeh?

wapttn Avatar

Career:254-148
Chips:
most people will have fitch ranked #3 or #4 right now, depending on where hughes is ranked.. so why is it that this guy is facing a guy who is making an unanticipated debut in the octagon? Fitch has had a long and hard road as it is, he deserves to be 1 fight away from a title shot and this is not that fight. Someone needs to go tell karo that he's delusional if he thinks that deserves to be inactive for almost a year and get a title shot for it because he beat 3 top 10-15 opponents after losing to sanchez, a fighter who fitch just beat. If fitch gets this win, and can get another in, and is ready for the winner of serra/gsp then I dont know how anybody can argue that karo deserves the shot.

Post #3   1/22/08 4:14:27PM   

tuvok500

GSP will Comeback JUMP !!!

tuvok500 Avatar

Career:2,065-1,066
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:

Posted by wapttn

most people will have fitch ranked #3 or #4 right now, depending on where hughes is ranked.. so why is it that this guy is facing a guy who is making an unanticipated debut in the octagon? Fitch has had a long and hard road as it is, he deserves to be 1 fight away from a title shot and this is not that fight. Someone needs to go tell karo that he's delusional if he thinks that deserves to be inactive for almost a year and get a title shot for it because he beat 3 top 10-15 opponents after losing to sanchez, a fighter who fitch just beat. If fitch gets this win, and can get another in, and is ready for the winner of serra/gsp then I dont know how anybody can argue that karo deserves the shot.

Fitch need to fight, Gono was not a big danger either.
Fighters have to fight to win money , something like an injuree is hard to predict and i think Fitch prever to fight a no name instead of waiting for a better opponent to be avalable in we don't know how many month ago.

Fitch is not afraid of fighting in opposite of Karo !!

Last edited 1/22/08 4:31PM server time by tuvok500
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   1/22/08 4:31:03PM   

nickcuc547

BANNED

nickcuc547 Avatar

Career:802-477
Chips:
this is a disappointment but it's tough to get a top guy in a month since most are already fighting or just fought. props to wilson for stepping up to fight a tough tough guy.

Post #5   1/22/08 4:31:37PM   

EpicTerran

MMA Regular

EpicTerran Avatar

Career:658-391
Camp: Wolfpack Crew
Chips:
wow fitch has ripped through his competition in the UFC , hes pretty much next in line for a title shot and THIS IS WHO HES FIGHTING? wtf seriously , if you're going to bring someone in for their UFC debut and put them up against someone whos in line for the title , they better be well known and respected , who the **** cares about Chris Wilson enough to see him get a fight with Fitch already ? wtf , he needs a few solid UFC wins before he deserves this , what a slap in the face to Fitch seriously

Post #6   1/22/08 9:56:34PM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:
I think this will be a great fight. Anybody from Team Question you know is tough and Fitch's track record speaks for himself. I think it will be an exciting fight but Fitch will take it.

I'm kind of pissed though because this fight might cause Karo to get that title shot before Fitch because Fitch is fighting a no name who appears to be a good fighter just looking at his record but Karo is fighting a Top ten in Alves. This sucks because this means GSP will run over Karo and then we'll have to wait for Fitch to dethrone GSP

Post #7   1/22/08 10:07:01PM   

roadking95th

In Cael We Trust!

roadking95th Avatar

Career:1,351-714
Chips:
Karo position on this is ultimately right, he is just not being PC about it. The guy was up for a title shot, but got injured. The UFC never gave him the promised match. Now, he has lost to Sanchez since then but why wasn't he given a shot as soon as he was healthy? Because the UFC was playing soap opera. I just wish Karo would fight Fitch so we would know who fights Serra for the vacant title.

Vacant title you say? Serra beats GSP, Hughes beats Serra and retires the champ knowing he can't beat GSP. Wishful thinking

Anyway, back on subject. I think Karo wants to play it safe, which is probably really chaffing the UFC, and get his title shot finally.

Post #8   1/22/08 11:23:57PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,615-1,389
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
say fitch wins aswell as karo it will be interesting to see who the ufc gives first crack at it believe me the other will get an easy win opponent to set up a lter title fight match

Post #9   1/23/08 1:30:32AM   

CiaoBaby

MMA Regular

CiaoBaby Avatar

Career:688-482
Camp: The Fatherless Bastards
Chips:
Fitch needs to fight maybe Koscheck or Karo before a shot at the title. When I read Gono was out I was happy cause I thought maybe they would set of those fights up. Nope. What do they not like Fitch?

Post #10   1/23/08 1:42:11AM   

The8One5

Banned

Career:31-17
Chips:

Posted by CiaoBaby

Fitch needs to fight maybe Koscheck or Karo before a shot at the title. When I read Gono was out I was happy cause I thought maybe they would set of those fights up. Nope. What do they not like Fitch?

i guess not cus he should have had the title shot instead of hughes, i hear he turned down a title shot a while back but still more deserving even than serra was at UFC 69

wilson is by far a better choice of opponent not that gono couldnt beat fitch but fitch has a much greater chance of losing this one, great fight

Post #11   1/23/08 1:54:42AM   

jomatty

In Full Mount

jomatty Avatar

Career:137-79
Camp: bet the rent
Chips:
lets face it guys, Karo vs GSP is a much bigger seller for the ufc than fitch vs GSP. those of us that spend our days on these boards may not think its as good a match up but the average fan, the people who buy the bulk of the ppv's know karo a lot more than fitch. not only that but karo is not doing anything different than anyone else in mma he just was upfront about it for some crazy reason.

Post #12   1/23/08 5:05:54AM   

CornishMMA

BANNED

CornishMMA Avatar

Career:497-280
Chips:

Posted by jomatty

lets face it guys, Karo vs GSP is a much bigger seller for the ufc than fitch vs GSP. those of us that spend our days on these boards may not think its as good a match up but the average fan, the people who buy the bulk of the ppv's know karo a lot more than fitch. not only that but karo is not doing anything different than anyone else in mma he just was upfront about it for some crazy reason.

What are you basing that on??!!?? Im sure the average fan saw Diego VS Karo at the fight night, and then saw Fitch VS Diego at UFC 76, Fitch's fight before that was on a fight night so the casual fan saw that, he may be known by more people but the majority of those people should be able to clearly see he is the better fighter

Post #13   1/23/08 7:00:16AM   

RMFG_187

Banned

RMFG_187 Avatar

Career:349-223
Chips:

Posted by CiaoBaby

i think KOS and Fitch are in the same camp. I COULD BE WRONG THO. but if they are, no way they're fighting each other.

Post #14   2/19/08 10:27:33AM   

RMFG_187

Banned

RMFG_187 Avatar

Career:349-223
Chips:

Posted by jomatty

i have too agree with you. my mom who watches UFC also. LOL i know. And she has NO CLUE who Jon Fitch is, although he is a great fighter. But she knows Karo very well and thinks hes a great fighter, even better than Hugues. Everyone of Karo's fights are exciting, and a great way too spend 15 minutes. Karo should be ahead of Jon Fitch for a title shot based on his experience, the fact that he sells seats, and that he shoulda had the title shot a long time ago. Just imagine 25 minutes of Judo Tosses, great Boxing and wrestling, and at the end of all that 25 minutes, 20 minutes of a HL reel.

Props, good reply to the post

Last edited 2/19/08 10:33AM server time by RMFG_187
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #15   2/19/08 10:30:54AM