Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

NBC publishes inaugural "UFC Power Rankings"

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

ffforgottenx

Standup Guy

ffforgottenx Avatar

Career:2,390-1,573
Chips:

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by ffforgottenx

maybe its just me, but i dont think bj penn should be ranked in the lightweight division until he actually has a fight at lightweight.. he hasnt had a fight at lightweight since 2003 against gomi..

im NOT saying he isnt a great fighter.. im just saying.. maybe he should fight in the weight class before being ranked..

just my two cents.. the rest of the list is pretty much give or take based on opinion

In that line of reasoning, can I ask you this...

Should Sherk be on there?

I know he's the champ, but he's only had one fight at LW and that was against a guy that isn't even in the top 5.

IMO, BJ has proved himself as a top LW in the past, and on that merit deserves to be on the list.

haha touche my friend..

should sherk be on there right now? i believe he should.. he is the most dominant fighter currently fighting at lightweight in the UFC.. what happens if BJ gets destroyed by pulver in his first fight back at LW? we have no idea how he is going to be at lightweight.. we can assume based on past performances, but anything can happen.. i was just saying maybe he shouldnt be ranked until he at least has a win in the division

and i hope you dont take offense bro, none is intended.. just a rebuddle

Post #16   2/15/07 7:56:23PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:
None taken at all... I also believe Sherk should be up there... I was just playing a little devils advocate...

I will stick to what I said in my original post, that the UFC lightweight division needs a little more time to develope and figure itself out...

Just have to let the smoke clear a little...

Post #17   2/15/07 8:05:29PM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Career:802-575
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
I like Koschecks placing. He is could definitly destroy fitch.
I think Swick is in the good place too. As much as i like Jason Macdonald he hasn't done enough in the UFC............yet. When he beats Rich Franklin i will say he is in the top 5. But until the Okanmi beats up out of the #5 spot.
Im rooting for him i want him to do well. He just hasn't Killed the competition yet. 2-0 and he is top 5 already? I dont think so.
War J-mac. Beat Rich and you are Top 3.

Post #18   2/15/07 8:07:04PM   

xchickox

In Full Mount

xchickox Avatar

Career:594-360
Chips:
rashad at two is complete madness

he has to beat someone like tito, jardine, forest to get up there and he's not done that yet

Post #19   2/15/07 8:11:49PM   

argile

MMA Regular

argile Avatar

Career:103-59
Camp: Kamikaze
Chips:
Rashad shouldnt be on that list yet, pound for pound seemed correct but id switch Penn for Silva.

ps :was thins written after watching the last ufc and looking up win losses on ufc.com?

Post #20   2/15/07 9:17:58PM   

OB_Juan

MMA Regular

OB_Juan Avatar

Career:481-329
Camp: Bloodyknux.com
Chips:
GSP is #1 P4P.

Replace Fisher w/ Stevenson (ahead of Guillard).

Post #21   2/15/07 10:21:51PM   

OB_Juan

MMA Regular

OB_Juan Avatar

Chips:

Posted by xchickox

he has to beat someone like tito, jardine, forest to get up there and he's not done that yet

Oh contrere, mon frere. Perhaps you need to re-watch TUF. I do agree though, #2 is high.

Last edited 2/15/07 10:24PM server time by OB_Juan
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #22   2/15/07 10:23:32PM   

Dadaman

MMA Regular

Dadaman Avatar

Career:61-42
Chips:
P4P: I agree with this list for the most part with the exception of of Chuck, who should be #2 and GSP #1.
[edit]: Sean Sherk isn't on this list! The guy has only ever lost to GSP and Matt Hughes, and he gave Matt Hughes hell! Get Silva out of this list and add Sean.

HW: #1 and #2 are fine. Cro Cop is undoubtedly a better fighter than Tim but he's holding the title. Brandon Vera should not be ranked above Arlovski. Although his last wins have been impressive he hasn't fought anyone of note or beaten Arlovski yet. Arlovski should be #3 and Vera #4. Randy Couture doesn't belong on this list, he hasn't fought at heavyweight in some years. Replace Randy with Gonzaga.

LHW: This list is all jacked up. Chuck is #1, that's about all I agree with here. Why should Rashad Evans be listed as #2, besides an impressive KO over Salmon and a decision over Bonnar he hasn't done enough to warrant a #2 ranking. I think Babalu is the #2 guy right now and Ortiz at #3 is fine. Jardine is the #4 guy right now in the division I think. Quinton should be #5 since he just hasn't fought enough since his lay-off.

MW: Replace Jason McDonald with Salavarry or Lister (I really think they are both tied for #5) and this list is good.

WW: Perfect.

LW: Good for the most part. It's difficult ranking these guys! This is one of the most exciting divisions in the UFC right now and any one of these guys could beat each other on any given night. Upsets at light weight have been a trend lately so it's just really hard ranking this catagory with everyone besides Sherk.
In my honest opinion Sherk is #1 in the world at LW. Hermes Franca being in direct contention for the belt does not make him the #2 guy in the division. I think BJ would school him standing and on the ground. BJ at #2, Franca at #3. Put Spencer Fisher above Guillard, and you got a good list.

Last edited 2/15/07 10:31PM server time by Dadaman

Post #23   2/15/07 10:30:21PM   

OB_Juan

MMA Regular

OB_Juan Avatar

Chips:

Posted by madmarck

If by "destroy" you mean lay on long enpough to possibly eek out a decision, then maybe. I don't see any WW on the planet destroying Fitch anytime in the near future. Not even GSP.

Last edited 2/16/07 2:04PM server time by OB_Juan

Post #24   2/16/07 2:03:37PM   

scoozna

Annoying since 2007

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,400-1,329
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by tamarslay3

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Evans 2 Rampage 4

Big Tim 1 Mirko 2

BJ Penn 3 ha ha ha ha ha ha more like 1

Exactly...

"but Jake O'Brien and Gabriel Gonzaga are the closest to entering the top five." O'Brien close to the top 5? The division is bad, but not that bad.

Post #25   2/16/07 2:52:01PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Chips:

Posted by OB_Juan

Posted by xchickox

Oh contrere, mon frere. Perhaps you need to re-watch TUF. I do agree though, #2 is high.

How in the world could his merits in TUF translate to top 5 status???

Post #26   2/19/07 3:44:52PM   

Greene33

MMA Regular

Greene33 Avatar

Career:590-391
Chips:

Posted by OB_Juan

Posted by madmarck

If by "destroy" you mean lay on long enpough to possibly eek out a decision, then maybe. I don't see any WW on the planet destroying Fitch anytime in the near future. Not even GSP.

Great point, makes up for the re-watch TUF for Rashad's ranking...

Fitch is underated and he would kill Kos and give Diego fits. He is getting put on the backburner right now because Kos and Diego are more popular so they are first in line. Mark my words, fitch will be # 2 in the WW division before August...

Post #27   2/19/07 3:55:23PM   

OB_Juan

MMA Regular

OB_Juan Avatar

Chips:

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by OB_Juan

Posted by xchickox

How in the world could his merits in TUF translate to top 5 status???

It doesn't. The post I quoted said Rashad hasn't beat Jardine yet.

Post #28   2/19/07 4:31:09PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Chips:
Sorry must have misunderstood... Sacred me for a second though

Post #29   2/19/07 5:00:14PM   

unchillphil

MMA Regular

unchillphil Avatar

Career:2,278-1,250
Chips:
I like the lists, but here is what I would change:

HW: Add Gabriel Gonzaga somewhere, probably drop Couture off the list.

LHW: Evans shouldn't be in front of the other 3 (Babalu, Rampage, Tito)

MW: Ok.

WW: Where is Jon Fitch?

LW: Roger Huerta instead of Guillard. Sam Stout instead of Spencer Fisher.

Post #30   2/19/07 5:07:08PM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3