Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

NBC publishes inaugural "UFC Power Rankings"

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:
NBC Sports UFC Power Rankings

Like most of these MMA lists, they don't even outline their evaluation methods or criteria.

Last edited 2/15/07 3:53PM server time by AchillesHeel
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   2/15/07 3:52:30PM   

fedorwins1

MMA Sensei

Career:552-270
Chips:
Cro Cop should be #1 on the pound for pound ranking. Other than that I agree with most of it.

Post #2   2/15/07 3:58:03PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:
These lists are really hard to do, and a lot of it is just opinion, so I'll add mine to the mix...

IMO, GSP should be on top of the P4P list (do you guys think BJ shoulda made it on there???)

HW... Vera should be at 5, and AA and Randy should be bumped up one

LHW... Rahsad has to fight one of those three guys below him to be anywhere besides 5 on that list.

MW... Looks pretty good, I don't know if J-Mac should be on there, but oh well

WW... Looks good to me...

LW... The division is still a little young to be able to tell so I will reverve my comments for now

Decent list though, I have definitley seen worse.

Post #3   2/15/07 4:19:55PM   

jmoooooo

MMA Regular

jmoooooo Avatar

Career:501-328
Chips:
GSP as P4P top.........

bj penn should be high on that list too...regardless of his conditioning problems, he is one of the most well rounded guys in the game...

HW i wouldnt put vera as #3......probably #4, tied with randy in that division

LHW evans shouldnt be at #2......ortiz's losses against chuck count more than rashads wins over non-top-five fighters...

mw is ok.......

ww.......i think this list, aside from diego and matt switching places, matches my own top 5 for that division......

lw.......im surprised florian didnt make top 5, he was obviously very competitive against the champ, and i think he could hang with spencer fisher at least, maybe even franca........

anyone else really really want to see bj/sherk? i think that would be a wild wild fight

Post #4   2/15/07 4:29:25PM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:

Posted by jmoooooo

anyone else really really want to see bj/sherk? i think that would be a wild wild fight

I not only want to see it, I expect to see it. I don't anticipate Franca and Pulver getting past Sherk and Penn, respectively.

Post #5   2/15/07 4:33:35PM   

MMA

Pimpin

MMA Avatar

Career:672-349
Chips:
This list is kind of odd.

I agree (somewhat) with the P4P ranking. Cro Cop or St. Pierre should be #1 in the heavyweight division and I am somewhat conflicted with Vera being placed over Arlovski.

I have no idea why Evans is #2 in the light heavyweight division, Jackson should easily take this spot. Sobral is underrated in this, I can see him taking on Ortiz (it would be an interesting styles match-up).

Marquardt should not be tied with Swick, I don't consider Swick to be that great. Hell, if Loiseau came more mentally prepared for their fight, he would have (probably) won. MacDonald does not deserve to be #5 when there is Okami.

I have nothing to complain about for the welterweight division, it looks pretty accurate (Koscheck may be overrated slightly). Same with the lightweight division, it looks pretty accurate. Penn has the potential to be #1, but he has not performed up to the hype as of late so it is understandable why he is #3.

Last edited 2/15/07 4:36PM server time by MMA

Post #6   2/15/07 4:36:00PM   

waylon_o

In Full Mount

waylon_o Avatar

Career:162-90
Camp: Wicked Wizards
Chips:
Pretty close to what I would pick, but I don't think Rashad would be my #2 LHW

Post #7   2/15/07 4:37:26PM   

ffforgottenx

Standup Guy

ffforgottenx Avatar

Career:2,390-1,573
Chips:
maybe its just me, but i dont think bj penn should be ranked in the lightweight division until he actually has a fight at lightweight.. he hasnt had a fight at lightweight since 2003 against gomi..

im NOT saying he isnt a great fighter.. im just saying.. maybe he should fight in the weight class before being ranked..

just my two cents.. the rest of the list is pretty much give or take based on opinion

Post #8   2/15/07 4:44:50PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Chips:

Posted by ffforgottenx

maybe its just me, but i dont think bj penn should be ranked in the lightweight division until he actually has a fight at lightweight.. he hasnt had a fight at lightweight since 2003 against gomi..

im NOT saying he isnt a great fighter.. im just saying.. maybe he should fight in the weight class before being ranked..

just my two cents.. the rest of the list is pretty much give or take based on opinion

In that line of reasoning, can I ask you this...

Should Sherk be on there?

I know he's the champ, but he's only had one fight at LW and that was against a guy that isn't even in the top 5.

IMO, BJ has proved himself as a top LW in the past, and on that merit deserves to be on the list.

Post #9   2/15/07 5:06:49PM   

MMA

Pimpin

MMA Avatar

Career:672-349
Chips:
Sherk has fought more than once as a lightweight.

Post #10   2/15/07 5:28:30PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:2,045-1,154
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I Agree with GSP as #1 lb. for lb Hughes 2nd BJ 4th A. Silva I'd make 6th. . Also, agreee that Rashad should be 5th till he beats one of the 4, and Vera 5th at HVY. I actually like Burkamn ahead of Koshcheck and Okami should be #5 at middleweigh to me.

Last edited 2/15/07 5:42PM server time by hippysmacker

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #11   2/15/07 5:39:28PM   

turbozed

Learning to Sprawl

turbozed Avatar

Career:126-85
Camp: Bloodyknux.com
Chips:

Posted by MMA

When was this? Was this a UFC or PRIDE fight? Or something in the minor leagues?

Post #12   2/15/07 6:07:10PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:2,045-1,154
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by turbozed

Posted by MMA

When was this? Was this a UFC or PRIDE fight? Or something in the minor leagues?

I don't know all his fight's, but I know he fought Strebendt at 155

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #13   2/15/07 6:24:40PM   

tamarslay3

Banned

Career:19-11
Chips:
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Evans 2 Rampage 4

Big Tim 1 Mirko 2

BJ Penn 3 ha ha ha ha ha ha more like 1

Post #14   2/15/07 6:44:41PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Chips:

Posted by MMA

i was just playing a little devil's advocate... I personally think he deserves to be on that list...

I wasn't aware that Sherk had fought at 155 before...

I guess I meant that he had made a name for himself in the UFC as a WW...

Post #15   2/15/07 6:59:39PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3