Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Bias in Coma, Clinging to Life

Print  
Posted By Message

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Career:802-575
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
Former Palace Fighting Championship featherweight titleholder Shawn Bias has been given a 30-percent chance of surviving by doctors at Oroville General Hospital in Bias' hometown about 70 miles north of Sacramento, Calif.

Link

Looks like we might have another death in MMA............

Post #1   1/21/08 9:21:22PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
This is bad news.
My prayers go out to his family.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #2   1/21/08 9:31:27PM   

Lil-J

Learning to Sprawl

Lil-J Avatar

Career:2,055-1,153
Camp: Spartak MMA
Chips:
Not sure if its really a death in MMA, or the death of an MMA fighter

"George Adkins (Pictures), a training partner and close friend of Bias, informed Sherdog.com of the situation, noting that Bias did not take very much damage in an unregulated fight Thursday night at the Tachi Palace in Lemoore, Calif. "

Don't think you can blame an apparent heart attack and kidney failure, pneumonia and an infected tooth on MMA :S

Having said that, my prayers go out to his family, hopefully he pulls through

Post #3   1/21/08 9:41:33PM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Although it seems to me that this wouldn't be the result of injuries sustained during a fight (such as in the Sammy Vazquez case), it still is, at the very least, the death of an MMA fighter, and in very unfortunate circumstances. Yes, it's still a little too early to jump to conclusions, but it still would be a fairly big loss nonetheless. I too am hoping that Shawn is able to pull through and recover.

Post #4   1/22/08 7:18:28AM   

The_hungry_lumberjack

MMA Regular

The_hungry_lumberjack Avatar

Career:263-169
Camp: Purebred Fight Team
Chips:
Bloody taser happy 5-0. This is what, the 4th (hopefully not) death from tasers in the last 2 months? I really hope he makes it through.

Post #5   1/22/08 9:05:12AM   

rcg916

He's Back...

rcg916 Avatar

Career:523-269
Chips:
Wow, what a shame. Being from the Sacramento area, the Oroville and the Chico Police Depts have a history of being a little over-zealous... Dont think its a coincidence that the cause of death from over-tasering usually results in heart and/or kidney failure. Wouldnt be surprised if that was the cause of Bias' problems.

Poor kid.

(This isnt a knock on Police officers, I believe that there are the good and bad, just like the rest of us.)

Post #6   1/22/08 11:02:14AM   

chiefwiggum

MMA Regular

chiefwiggum Avatar

Career:140-72
Camp: whoflungpoo
Chips:
Not enough amperage in a taser to kill you.

http://www.dribin.org/dave/blog/archives/2003/12/29/amps_vs_volts/

http://www.officer.com/article/article.jsp?siteSection=20&id=30877

If he really was struck in the chest several times, one would think that could be the cause. I will be interested in finding out why he got arrested. I really hope he pulls through, nobody should be dead at 22.

Post #7   1/22/08 11:23:40AM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Career:802-575
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:

Posted by The_hungry_lumberjack

Bloody taser happy 5-0. This is what, the 4th (hopefully not) death from tasers in the last 2 months? I really hope he makes it through.

Yeah the update makes it seem that it had nothing to do with his fight. But rather it was police brutality.

Post #8   1/22/08 11:40:02AM   

rcg916

He's Back...

rcg916 Avatar

Career:523-269
Chips:

Posted by chiefwiggum

Dude, seriously? The stuff you are quoting doesnt take into account the differences in the human body, contributing to the weakness or strength of the individuals organs. The second link also has a strong law enforcement guided agenda. Not exactly fact.

Quote all the stats you want, but then go ahead and do another Google search for taser deaths in the last few years. I stopped at 6 unique cases, but there were plenty more.

Regardless, I wont argue this with you, because bigger picture, theres a kid near dead. But, a blanket statement like "theres not enough amps in a taser to kill you" is just plain untrue. From a numbers standpoint, sure, but where human tissue is concerned, there is no real standard for what it can handle. Everyone is different.

Post #9   1/22/08 11:49:05AM   

shockwave

Learning to Sprawl

Career:838-542
Chips:
Too much of anything can kill anyone....I am sure that a being tasered to much can do some serious damage...too bad, i really hope he gets through this...

Post #10   1/22/08 12:50:47PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:

Posted by Lil-J

Not sure if its really a death in MMA, or the death of an MMA fighter

"George Adkins (Pictures), a training partner and close friend of Bias, informed Sherdog.com of the situation, noting that Bias did not take very much damage in an unregulated fight Thursday night at the Tachi Palace in Lemoore, Calif. "

Don't think you can blame an apparent heart attack and kidney failure, pneumonia and an infected tooth on MMA :S

Having said that, my prayers go out to his family, hopefully he pulls through

says it perfectly imo. it isn't really a death in MMA as a death of a fighter. two different things.

hope he can overcome this

Post #11   1/22/08 4:21:13PM   

chiefwiggum

MMA Regular

chiefwiggum Avatar

Career:140-72
Camp: whoflungpoo
Chips:

Posted by rcg916

Posted by chiefwiggum

Dude, seriously? The stuff you are quoting doesnt take into account the differences in the human body, contributing to the weakness or strength of the individuals organs. The second link also has a strong law enforcement guided agenda. Not exactly fact.

Quote all the stats you want, but then go ahead and do another Google search for taser deaths in the last few years. I stopped at 6 unique cases, but there were plenty more.

Regardless, I wont argue this with you, because bigger picture, theres a kid near dead. But, a blanket statement like "theres not enough amps in a taser to kill you" is just plain untrue. From a numbers standpoint, sure, but where human tissue is concerned, there is no real standard for what it can handle. Everyone is different.

You found proof of 6 Taser deaths? Could you post a link? All articles I've ever read on the subject indicate Taser Inc has won all wrongful death lawsuits.

Post #12   1/22/08 9:52:46PM